Disney's Streaming Services: Disney+ (and Hulu, ESPN+, Star, & hotstar)

tcool123

This is why they need to do more to promote and upload their back catalog, to fill in gaps like this.
They have quite a large back catalogue of films that's for sure! These last few days I've gone spelunking down the seemingly endless abyss of Disney films (theatrical, television, and direct to video) and have compiled lists and lists of content missing from Disney+ and Hulu. Don't have ESPN+ nor do I care get one to find out what ESPN films are missing there. Tried my best to see what was where using all my resources, refuse to join the Disney Movie Club so was only able to see what they offer for the sign-up offer. If you find a film I'm missing just shoot me a message :)

Currently where the list stands there are 1531 films Feature-Length Films and 504 Short Films by my counts not present on Disney+ or Hulu. Planning on adding more once I scour through the various made for tv films from ABC.

Personally if I was Disney and July was just sharks, I'd supplement it by playing on some major nostalgia driven adds such as the Disney Sing-Along Songs library, some of the older live action films from Walt Disney Studios that aren't on the Disney Movie Club to maintain the exclusives the Club still has, the 90's made for TV remakes of various Disney classics, and all in on Lightyear with the original series and new film at the end of the month

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member

This is not a good sign.
Why? Its a partnership, and will likely have included an ad buy for the ad tier releasing later this year. Its no different than the partnerships Disney formed with Verizon and other companies that offered D+ as part of a bundle.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Why? Its a partnership, and will likely have included an ad buy for the ad tier releasing later this year. Its no different than the partnerships Disney formed with Verizon and other companies that offered D+ as part of a bundle.

Partnership with Verizon is something that boosts synergy. Forget the fact that D+ bundles offered through providers such as Verizon don’t generate the same revenue for Disney as those who sign up direct.

They’re doing this to as a second tier effort to boost growth, knowing that Subscriber growth is stagnating or falling.

I suspect you’re right that they’re going to adopt an ad supported tier and then jack up the rate of the “new” premium level. The jury is out on the success of that.

The golden age of streaming is done.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Partnership with Verizon is something that boosts synergy. Forget the fact that D+ bundles offered through providers such as Verizon don’t generate the same revenue for Disney as those who sign up direct.

They’re doing this to as a second tier effort to boost growth, knowing that Subscriber growth is stagnating or falling.

I suspect you’re right that they’re going to adopt an ad supported tier and then jack up the rate of the “new” premium level. The jury is out on the success of that.

It’s already been announced they’ll be introducing an ad tier later this fall. So is Netflix for that matter, after Disney announced it.

Hulu has been doing an ad tier for many years, it works.

Sorry but I don’t agree the “golden age” of streaming is over.

Also I don’t see this partnership with Uber as any sign of pending doom for D+.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Hulu has been doing an ad tier for many years, it works.
Hulu is a mess. It never garnered the traction it needed to be successful, even though it had access to so much content. It is a second tier streamer at best.
Sorry but I don’t agree the “golden age” of streaming is over.
Netflix and Apple would disagree with you on that.
Also I don’t see this partnership with Uber as any sign of pending doom for D+.
If the Disney+ Forecast was so great, why are they relying on promos like this. I guess the save on your WDW vacation by being a D+ subscriber didn’t pay off? Maybe they’ll launch a partnership with McDonalds to get a month of D+ free with ever happy meal.

doctornick

This deal seems more like an effort to increase awareness and usage of Uber One than anything about Disney+. If anything partnering with D+ suggests there’s a value in reaching those subscribers.

doctornick

Apple? They just signed a big long term with MLS and are heavily negotiating with the NFL about Sunday Ticket and just jumped into the mix again for Big Ten TV rights. Now I know sports is a bit different than “regular” streaming but it seems to me Apple is doubling down on that segment not leaving it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hulu is a mess. It never garnered the traction it needed to be successful, even though it had access to so much content. It is a second tier streamer at best.

If the Disney+ Forecast was so great, why are they relying on promos like this. I guess the save on your WDW vacation by being a D+ subscriber didn’t pay off? Maybe they’ll launch a partnership with McDonalds to get a month of D+ free with ever happy meal.

Hulu has had continued growth in subscribers for years.

Many business have cross promotions... are you suggesting that all business with cross promotions are 'in trouble'?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Wait, wait, wait. I think you are misunderstanding what this partnership really is. So what is being offered is that by being a D+ subscriber you get a 6 month membership to Uber One. Its Uber that is actually trying to gain subscribers by partnering with Disney. Its not the other way around. This means that Uber sees D+'s success and wants to leverage it to gain subs of their own.

So yeah D+ forecast is great, and this is proof of it.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The Disney-backed broadcast network is making a two-hour, live-action/animated special that will feature a new cast and air Dec. 15 on the broadcast network. Jon M. Chu (In the Heights, Wicked) is on board to executive produce the project, which will be directed by Hamish Hamilton. The latter is best known for helming awards shows including the Emmys and Grammys, as well as the Super Bowl halftime show, ABC’s The Little Mermaid Live and a pair of Disney’s quarantine-era sing-alongs. The special will be available to stream Dec. 16 on Disney+."

"The BATB special will feature never-before-seen musical performances, new sets and costumes inspired by the classic story. Each performance, ABC says, will pay homage to the original animated favorite while also adding to its iconic story. Songs from the original animated classic will be performed in front of a live audience at Disney Studios."

TrainsOfDisney

So what is being offered is that by being a D+ subscriber you get a 6 month membership to Uber One. Its Uber that is actually trying to gain subscribers by partnering with Disney. Its not the other way around. This means that Uber sees D+'s success and wants to leverage it to gain subs of their own.
It goes both ways. So Uber customers can get Disney+ free, Disney+ customers can get Uber one free.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It goes both ways. So Uber customers can get Disney+ free, Disney+ customers can get Uber one free.
Not the specific deal outlined in the link that the poster provided for Uber One.

Specifically states:

" Offer valid in the U.S. only, for eligible current Disney+ subscribers in good standing who are not yet subscribers of Uber One and have not previously received a free or discounted trial of Uber One."

Meaning it goes only one way, not both ways.

Now there is a separate thing for Uber Eats (not part of the deal listed in the link) where they are offering two months of the Disney Bundle for free to existing members. So its not quite both ways, as the deals are not equal.

But nonetheless as @MisterPenguin pointed out its normal for partnerships between companies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster

DCBaker

Premium Member
"ESPN is hiking the price of its ESPN+ by a whopping 43% starting next month. As of Aug. 23, the streaming service will cost $9.99 per month/$99.99 per year, a sharp increase from the $6.99 per month/$69.99 per year that it currently costs. The price change does not impact the price of the Disney Bundle or UFC PPV events, the company said. ESPN says ESPN+’s new higher price points still compare favorably to other sports streaming services like DAZN, which costs $19.99 per month, or Bally Sports+, which is going for $20 per month. PGA Tour Live used to cost $10 per month and is included in ESPN+. Similarly, the NHL used to sell Center Ice for $25 per month and NHL.TV for $25 per month; both of those NHL services have been incorporated into ESPN+."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom