Disney's Potential Sale of ABC Television Network???

TP2000

Original Poster
After being a rumor for some time, this seems to be a real news story suddenly today, covered by several reputable financial/media sources.

What would selling off the ABC-TV network mean for Disney short-term and long-term?

TP2000

Original Poster
I have to wonder what becomes of the ABC News division of this network? Would Nexstar be committed to keeping ABC News flush with all that big-payroll talent going forward in their expensive New York City digs?

George Stephanopoulis, David Muir, etc.?

I haven't watched network TV on purpose in many years, so the ABC News flagship division is really the only thing I know for certain that ABC Television produces. Would Nexstar keep that going?

TsWade2

I have to wonder what becomes of the ABC News division of this network? Would Nexstar be committed to keeping ABC News flush with all that big-payroll talent going forward in their expensive New York City digs?

George Stephanopoulis, David Muir, etc.?

I haven't watched network TV on purpose in many years, so the ABC News flagship division is really the only thing I know for certain that ABC Television produces. Would Nexstar keep that going?

Didn’t you see my last post?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
What the DIS account didn't say is if they were seeking a valuation for that property or not. They could part their ABC holdings out to get away from regulatory issues.

TP2000

Original Poster
That is a textbook non-denial denial. Not that it means they're definitely going to sell it, but I know which way I'd bet.

Yes, that's exactly how I read it as well.

This story may not be resolved in a few weeks, it may take months, but something is obviously happening.

Heppenheimer

After being a rumor for some time, this seems to be a real news story suddenly today, covered by several reputable financial/media sources.

What would selling off the ABC-TV network mean for Disney short-term and long-term?

Does ABC actually make any money for Disney these days? How much could America's Funniest Home Videos be worth in advertising dollars in 2023?

They have the contracts for the Monday Night Football, and college football, but as I understand it, those are usually loss leaders to get eyes to stay on the channel. Does that model even work anymore in the streaming era?

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Todays' going to be interesting : Sept 15 (Reuters) - Media entrepreneur Byron Allen has made a $10 billion bid to buy Walt Disney's (DIS.N) ABC television network and assets including the FX and National Geographic cable channels, a spokesperson for Allen said on Friday.

Eric Graham

The weather channel guy potentially taking over ABC, etc. How about that? He is so funny on Funny You Should Ask. Louis Anderson was also on that show and my wife had him do a cameo from that show related to Disney and my puppy dog for a milestone birthday for me. How very touching and wonderful!

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The weather channel guy potentially taking over ABC, etc. How about that? He is so funny on Funny You Should Ask. Louis Anderson was also on that show and my wife had him do a cameo from that show related to Disney and my puppy dog for a milestone birthday for me. How very touching and wonderful!

I remember Byron Allen from the show Real People in the early 80's. After that I never really followed him so was really surprised a few years ago when I found out he was now this millionaire media mogul.

GimpYancIent

NBC was established 1926, CBS was established 1929 and ABC was established 1943. All three have withstood the test of time, modernization of equipment and technology. Programming and accompanying personalities have likewise changed but the networks keep on going. So I do not see the core three going away because of streaming.

Heppenheimer

NBC was established 1926, CBS was established 1929 and ABC was established 1943. All three have withstood the test of time, modernization of equipment and technology. Programming and accompanying personalities have likewise changed but the networks keep on going. So I do not see the core three going away because of streaming.
The former DuMont, Hughes, Paramount and NET networks, among others, all provide counter examples.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The question is if its an unsolicited bit or did Disney actively seek out bids, both are possible. Will be interesting to watch over the next several weeks and months as this isn't likely to end quickly.

TP2000

Original Poster
Does ABC actually make any money for Disney these days? How much could America's Funniest Home Videos be worth in advertising dollars in 2023?

I can't imagine they do.

They have the contracts for the Monday Night Football, and college football, but as I understand it, those are usually loss leaders to get eyes to stay on the channel. Does that model even work anymore in the streaming era?

I believe ABC has several loss leaders like that. I can't imagine the lavishly funded ABC News division is making them any money, and is instead fueled by ego and memories of decades-past when tens of millions of people tuned in to Peter Jennings nightly.

Those days are long gone, and are never coming back.

TP2000

Original Poster
I just checked Google News for the latest... yup, the folks at ABC News are not feeling confident. Likely because they know they are working for a loss leader product that has no real business case the further we get into the 21st Century...

flynnibus

Premium Member
why is this being treated as like it's news?

Do people forget when Disney sold off it's radio networks? Disney trying to unload it's owned TV stations and some of it's networks is old news at this point. The only question is, how much will be sold and to whom?

"Rumors Disney is selling networks" -- This also in... the sun will set later today.

Mmoore29

I just checked Google News for the latest... yup, the folks at ABC News are not feeling confident. Likely because they know they are working for a loss leader product that has no real business case the further we get into the 21st Century...

Disney is never going to sell ABC. Especially not for a cheap price as "$10 billion for all the linear TV assets, including the network."

Eisner bought it for $19 billion. Eisner considers it his proudest moment. Eisner would storm into Burbank and raise hell if ABC were going, especially for far less then he paid for it. You can tell Eisner would move heaven and earth to stop it from happening, ironically acting like Roy and Stan Gold did against him.

Disney needs ABC and ABC needs Disney. Simple as that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom