Disney's Polynesian Resort feature pool refurbishment

tikiman

Actually there are many resorts in Hawaii that do not have Jacuzzis. It’s not uncommon at all.

With that said there was an artist rendering of a new grotto pool with hot tub that was to go in where the quiet pool is along with zero entry but some of the major plans that are happening at the resort changed everything last minute. I am sure when they are done with all they are going to do there will be one. I won’t be going in it but it will make a lot of people happy.

As far as the work that was supposed to start today (delayed because of permits) it is work to paint the volcano and I am told the whole pool will be closed for an extended period depending on how the work goes.

It is typical that the pools close in Jan to March for refurbishment, draining and major work to be done because of the cold weather and reduced bookings. In fact the pool slide has been closed many days in the last few weeks because of the cold weather. They won’t assign lifeguards to the pools when it is that cold and if there are no lifeguards they close the slides.

Upvote 0

tikiman

I doubt they will compensate you, but maybe transfer you to another deluxe resort with an operating pool they will do. At least it's worth the call. You may get get lucky and get GF! Or if you are set on Poly, they will let you use Gf pool, which has a great slide as well. Good luck.

You will be able to use the GF pool when it is closed and they are going to be running extra boats.

Upvote 0

tikiman

So an update. Today they said the pool will not be closed for the work to be done but the slide will at times. All the work that is to be done will start this week and be completed by April 1.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Actually there are many resorts in Hawaii that do not have Jacuzzis. It’s not uncommon at all.

But it's the only Deluxe Resort at Disney without one. Come to think of it, all the Mods have at least one as well. As do the 3 Universal Resorts.

I love the Polynesian, but for the cost per night, there is no excuse.

Upvote 0

tikiman

At the time the new pool was designed they were designing the GF pool also. With the up-keep and health issues associated with the Jacuzzi upper levels of resort management (nothing to do with Polynesian management) decided they would no longer design in Jacuzzis into the new pools.

I know it has been a complaint of many so that is why they had designed one into the new grotto pool but because of other factors, those plans are on hold for now.

Upvote 0

havoc315

So an update. Today they said the pool will not be closed for the work to be done but the slide will at times. All the work that is to be done will start this week and be completed by April 1.

At times? Does that mean the slide will be closed intermittently, a few hours here and there..... of we can expect the slide to generally be closed?

Will be there 2/14-2/20.. my son wants to slide through a volcano..

Upvote 0

captainkidd

At the time the new pool was designed they were designing the GF pool also. With the up-keep and health issues associated with the Jacuzzi upper levels of resort management (nothing to do with Polynesian management) decided they would no longer design in Jacuzzis into the new pools.

I know it has been a complaint of many so that is why they had designed one into the new grotto pool but because of other factors, those plans are on hold for now.

That doesn't make any sense. Bay Lake Tower, Saratoga Springs and Kidani Village all came after the new pool at the Poly and they all have jacuzzis.

Upvote 0

tikiman

At times? Does that mean the slide will be closed intermittently, a few hours here and there..... of we can expect the slide to generally be closed?

Will be there 2/14-2/20.. my son wants to slide through a volcano..

There are a few projects going on at the pool during this time. No specifics were given to when the slide would be closed.

Upvote 0
When they do work on the pools or volcano, do they typically wall-off the whole area, or just work at night? Meaning, if I walk past the pool, will the volcano still be visible during the work? I really want my fiance to see the poly in all it's glory, it's her first time.

Upvote 0

tikiman

So what's the excuse since that time, since plenty of pools have opened up with Jacuzzi's?

Just explaining why it was designed without a hot tub. Thats all I can say.

Originally the pool was to be warmer and the heated water returns over near that bridge that has the seating with the jetted bubbles and that was supposed to be a warmer area to be similar to a hot tub but it is often not been much if at all warmer than the rest of the pool.

Upvote 0

tikiman

When they do work on the pools or volcano, do they typically wall-off the whole area, or just work at night? Meaning, if I walk past the pool, will the volcano still be visible during the work? I really want my fiance to see the poly in all it's glory, it's her first time.

It depends on what is going to be done but since they said this morning that the pool will not be closed for the work to be done I would think the slide and stairs to the slide will be closed off (similar to how it is when it is closed at night) and there may be some equipment on the volcano while they are painting but this is just a guess from past work that has been done. I don't see them putting up and walls around the whole pool since it will still be open at this point.

Upvote 0
It depends on what is going to be done but since they said this morning that the pool will not be closed for the work to be done I would think the slide and stairs to the slide will be closed off (similar to how it is when it is closed at night) and there may be some equipment on the volcano while they are painting but this is just a guess from past work that has been done. I don't see them putting up and walls around the whole pool since it will still be open at this point.

That's good to hear, I was concerned if there would be walls or tarps hiding the volcano from view.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Just explaining why it was designed without a hot tub. Thats all I can say.

Originally the pool was to be warmer and the heated water returns over near that bridge that has the seating with the jetted bubbles and that was supposed to be a warmer area to be similar to a hot tub but it is often not been much if at all warmer than the rest of the pool.

I've read that too. But never experienced any part of the pool that's warmer.

I think it's sadly a question of Disney being too cheap to do it at this point.

Upvote 0

tikiman

So the latest news as of this morning is that the pool work will start on Feb 4 and the slide will be closed at this time. The work to the slide and the volcano will go until April 1 and at times the pool will be closed fron Feb 4 to April 1. When the pool is closed they will be running extra boats over to the Grand Floridian to use their pool.

Upvote 0

MichaelinTN

I completely understand traveling during off-peak times means rides and attractions will be down. But announcing the refurbishment days before they start is unnecessary. I'm at just over 30 days and I can live with it but if I was going next week, I'd be a little upset.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom