Disney's Over-Reliance on Smartphones

Is Disney relying too much on smartphones

• Yes

Votes: 90 80.4%
  • No

Votes: 22 19.6%

• Total voters

Parteecia

I have a lot of rare food allergies (berries 😭😭😭😭), so I always just bring my own food and then pick up an occasional snack. Keeps me off my phone and way less stressed.
As a supertaster on keto I've had trouble finding food there. Now it's the perfect excuse to bring my own.

During AP previews I went to Oga's and asked for something low carb. The bartender gave me water. I guess now they have a meat and cheese platter.

Dear Prudence

As a supertaster on keto I've had trouble finding food there. Now it's the perfect excuse to bring my own.

During AP previews I went to Oga's and asked for something low carb. The bartender gave me water. I guess now they have a meat and cheese platter.
Literally, if I don't eat in very specific intervals, I have the world's greatest hunger tantrums, the likes of which the world has never seen. I am so grateful I was smart enough to bring my own snacks this last time, or it would have been bad. I needed to be better about the water, though. :/

Parteecia

Literally, if I don't eat in very specific intervals, I have the world's greatest hunger tantrums, the likes of which the world has never seen. I am so grateful I was smart enough to bring my own snacks this last time, or it would have been bad. I needed to be better about the water, though. :/
I guess everyone like us who needs to eat when they need to eat had better bring their own food.

How are the carts? I can just imagine someone overheated passing out before they can buy a water.

TP2000

During AP previews I went to Oga's and asked for something low carb. The bartender gave me water.

That's hysterical! 🤣

I looked at the Oga's cocktail menu, and it was very heavily skewed to corn syrup. I wasn't impressed.

And on my first visit on a very slow June weekday in 2019, the Oga's hostess seemed like she was on the verge of a violent nervous breakdown, so I quietly backed away. Sometimes, Disneyland is just a dump.

Dear Prudence

I guess everyone like us who needs to eat when they need to eat had better bring their own food.

How are the carts? I can just imagine someone overheated passing out before they can buy a water.
The carts seem... okay. I had to open my lemonade while waiting in line to take my anti-migraine pill because the wait was so long. Their card readers kept going down, too.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
I had friends that were there because they were given tickets for their family of 6. They didn't know about boarding groups for ROR until they walked backed to GE and were told by the CM at the ride.
I mean they literally have full blown billboards for Rise and radio ads, none of which mention this. I took off work last minute when relatives in town told me they were going to DL, I knew they'd need a navigator.

They also had zero idea about making a Disney account, making ticket reservations, linking parties to your account, making boarding group reservations, and "mobile order".

But to their credit, why would they? They've been visiting Disneyland every few years for 30+ years now and why would they expect things to be different?

Disney expects people to independently do messageboard or twitter research to figure out how to even enter the gates.

DrAlice

smooch

I haven't been to DLR since like 2017-2018 so I don't even know the process of making a party and linking Disney accounts into a party so reservations can be made for everyone at once. Whenever I plan my next trip I will obviously figure it out in advance but still. I do have one question, though, cause people keep bringing it up with mobile orders: is it really not possible to just walk up to the counter in Adventureland and get a Dole Whip? I thought it seemed like counter service restaurants needed mobile orders but not snack counter locations which I consider the Dole Whip line to be. If that isn't an exaggeration and I have to place an order hours in advance for a Dole Whip then that is truly insane.

DrAlice

I haven't been to DLR since like 2017-2018 so I don't even know the process of making a party and linking Disney accounts into a party so reservations can be made for everyone at once. Whenever I plan my next trip I will obviously figure it out in advance but still. I do have one question, though, cause people keep bringing it up with mobile orders: is it really not possible to just walk up to the counter in Adventureland and get a Dole Whip? I thought it seemed like counter service restaurants needed mobile orders but not snack counter locations which I consider the Dole Whip line to be. If that isn't an exaggeration and I have to place an order hours in advance for a Dole Whip then that is truly insane.
I cannot speak to what it is like today. However, here is what happened to us back in June.

This family of "stupid tourists" naively approached the Tropical Hideaway in the afternoon to find a cast member blocking the entrance. Next to the cast member was a sign saying "standby ordering is not available today". The cast member informed us that it was mobile order only. When I went into the app, it told me that mobile order was full for the day. "No Dole Whip for you!"

ETA: Just for clarification.... The walk-up counter in front of the Tiki Room was closed. You could only get a Dole Whip at Tropical Hideaway.

DrAlice

To be clear.... I'm not some luddite that is against cell phone use or the app. However, the way in which Disney has chosen to implement this "service" is awful. IMO, any cell phone app should ENHANCE the guest experience, not add frustration. We saw a lot of people frustrated. When extended family visited the parks a month later, they came back upset by the mobile order experience also. Consequently, they chose to eat outside the parks. If your added "service" frustrates your customers enough that they stop spending money, I think it is safe to say that your "service" has failed.

el_super

Consequently, they chose to eat outside the parks. If your added "service" frustrates your customers enough that they stop spending money, I think it is safe to say that your "service" has failed.

If all the slots for mobile order were full... it had to have worked for enough people to be a success.

el_super

...or if standard Disney, the ap stopped working and just SAID it was out of slots when there were plenty.

What seems more likely though: that the app seems to have some catastrophic failure only on the weekends, or that overall dining capacity is down due to worker shortages and COVID protocols?

Definitely seems like having two or three people work the Dole Whip station would put them within six feet. I wasn't there so I don't know, but if they restricted that area to only one CM, the backup would be easily explained.

And FWIW: Tropical Hideaway no longer offers mobile order (it's standby only and the wait is usually pretty long), and they have more then one person working the Dole Whip counter now.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I can't speak for Dole Whips. But for most places they only have one cashier for walk-ups and the other 3-6 windows are for mobile pickup. It's to force you into mobile ordering.

For example, I like getting the soup or salad or mac 'n cheese in a separate bowl from the bread bowl at Pacific Wharf Cafe so the bread doesn't get soggy. You can't order it that way on the mobile app. So if I order through the mobile app, and go to pick up my soup, I then have to tell them I want the soup in a cup, not in the bread bowl. This sometimes is no problem and other times gets rolled eyes and heavy sighs as they shove the unsold food back on the counter and pour me my cup of soup. Therefore, I would prefer to use standby and order the soup correctly prepared directly from the cashier to avoid that extra step of having to send the soup back that they've already prepared for me when I tell the app "I'm here". However, with only one cashier at the location, each time I've tried, after about 20 minutes in line - with at least another 15-20 ahead of me - trying to do it "the right way" and order correctly, I'm starved and just give up and mobile order from the line, step out of it and go tell them at the next counter over to remake the order I just tried to place correctly but couldn't without a half-hour+ wait for my otherwise immediately available soup.

Another example - was there recently with a friend who wanted a meal at Flo's. Next available time was 50 minutes out. I said we can wait and mobile order for that time... oh, whoops, sorry it just updated and is now an hour... do you want to wait an hour for your meal? No? Okay, we can go wait a half hour in the walkup line and then get your meal, which is what we did and it how long it took, but only because they wound up with a line out the door and had to... I kid you not... ROLL OUT a portable ordering station for another CM to start taking walkup orders. I was shocked they actually did this. Still took half an hour though.

Another example - I wanted ice cream from Clarabelle's recently. Next available spot was 45 minutes. I walked over and got in line for the one cashier. Waited about 20-25 minutes during which time multiple other guests in the line told their families "forget this, it's not worth it, we'll get it another time, let's go" and left. AND they did eventually open a second cashier for walkups because again the line was going out the door. So I still got my ice cream before the mobile order would've been available without the line in that case.

So my best advice is - be flexible on your food choices and be prepared to either not eat when you're hungry, figure it out in advance, or wait in a longer time than ever in line for the one cashier working next to the six empty mobile pickup windows.

P.S. be kind to the CM's at the registers - they are even more frazzled by this than the guests as they get the first line of attack by starved angry guests and have no ability to change the system. :(

TP2000

Definitely seems like having two or three people work the Dole Whip station would put them within six feet.

Is that the rule? A CM may not work within six feet of another CM, even if the snack bar they are working at is outdoors with only a thatched grass roof over their heads? And even if they have an endless stream of random tourists passing closer than six feet from them?

That seems suspiciously made up.

Putting aside the basic business of a theme park that has thousands of customers per day streaming closer than six feet from almost every CM on property, I can think of many locations at Disneyland that can't operate without CM's standing within six feet of other CM's...

Parking lot toll booths. Security screening. Entry turnstiles. Hotel check-in desks. Fast food order and pickup windows. Every single restaurant kitchen at the Resort, from Tomorrowland Terrace to Napa Rose. The loading areas at Matterhorn, Jungle Cruise, Indy, Submarines, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Winnie The Pooh, Incredicoaster, Midway Mania, Fun Wheel, Golden Zephyr, Goofy's Sky School, Little Mermaid, Soarin', or anything with a control tower when CM's need to replace other CM's.

In short, I'm very, very suspicious that's an actual rule.

TP2000

I cannot speak to what it is like today. However, here is what happened to us back in June.

This family of "stupid tourists" naively approached the Tropical Hideaway in the afternoon to find a cast member blocking the entrance. Next to the cast member was a sign saying "standby ordering is not available today". The cast member informed us that it was mobile order only. When I went into the app, it told me that mobile order was full for the day. "No Dole Whip for you!"

ETA: Just for clarification.... The walk-up counter in front of the Tiki Room was closed. You could only get a Dole Whip at Tropical Hideaway.

Well.... That sounds both ridiculous and depressing.

The App and the adherence to smartphone usage as a requirement for Disneyland visits seems to have made the experience much worse. Not even close to being better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom