Disney's Over-Reliance on Smartphones

Is Disney relying too much on smartphones

• Yes

Votes: 90 80.4%
  • No

Votes: 22 19.6%

• Total voters

DavidDL

Your day is absolutely hindered without the use of a smart phone. Take eating, for example. Locations in park (most recently Pacific Wharf, I believe) have been cutting cash registers down to entice people into mobile ordering. According to a recent Micechat update, this has been creating absurd lines at these locations for folks who either a) didn't know what they'd want all at once in the morning, b) were simply hungry for some food or c) didn't want to use their cell phone to order. I myself experienced over an hour wait to get something to eat at the Pym Test Kitchen and when I finally got to the one and only, obviously overworked CM manning a register, their demeanor was less than magical and they got my order wrong. I actually don't fault them whatsoever. They're only human and the burden placed on their shoulders was absurd.

So yeah. Sure, technically you can enjoy your day in the park without a phone. As long as you don't want to eat or try that new ride everyone's talking about.

el_super

I’m not advocating for pre planning at all. My dream idea for restaraunts is you walk up to one and are seated immediately. Disneyland has “Dining Reservations” that are done 2 months it advance at 3am on your cell phone. To appease guests who showed up day of, they also had a “Walk Up List”. This was only done in person.

And before the cell phone reservations, yku had to use the website, and before the website you used to have to calk the dining hotline. And if you didn't, you could try the waitlist but those often filled up too. Sometimes you just didnt get to eat at the Blue Bayou.

It seems again that this is more related to capacity and not the means of communication used.

el_super

It simply is true. I’m not talking about enjoying a day at Disneyland, and even if I was, one can’t say that another can or cannot enjoy a day at Disneyland because that’s subjective.

How can I both be true and subjective at the same time? Admitting it's subjective is also admittinf people can have a great time without their phones (and clearly that was the point I was trying to make).

I’m talking about the use of technology in general, particularly the phone. The usage of one’s smartphone has become more important over time because Disney keeps implementing things that require the use of a phone. That’s a fact.

And the fact is, those things where it is required are not necessary to enjoying your day. That too is a fact.

el_super

So yeah. Sure, technically you can enjoy your day in the park without a phone. As long as you don't want to eat or try that new ride everyone's talking about.

There are places you can eat where you don't need to mobile order.

Fear of missing out is driving very unrealistic expectations here misinformation is causing a lot of bad takes.

donsullivan

Premium Member
You still need the internet, an email address, and a Disney account to even enter the park.

In Walt's day you could eat at a table service restaurant without needing to be on a phone at 3am 60 days beforehand.

In Walt's day you could park your car, take a shuttle from the parking lot directly to the front gate, and buy your ticket book and enter the park.

Now you have to create an email address, create a Disney account, link a credit card to your Disney account, check for availability, buy a ticket, and make a digital reservation for the day you want to go.

Oh and for dining? Good luck unless
you planned for it at 3am 2 months ago. Now you're forced to "mobile order" meals 4 hours before you want them in the park.

So yes it is diminished.

Walt would never alienate his guests and make "Pirates of the Caribbean" require a lottery system to ride, or New Orleans Square a "virtual queue" to enter.

First come first serve is the way the world works.
I desperately hope this was intended to be sarcasm, because if not It’s completely ridiculous. To compare life experience in 1965 to 2021 is completely absurd on the surface.

In 1965 we only had 8 black and white channels on the TV, and only one TV in the house.
We had to dial a phone with a round ring and numbers that you pulled in a circle one at a time.
The computer in the home didn’t exist and the Internet wasn’t even a dream.

The world has progressed and will continue to do so at an increasingly rapid pace (as it should) on into the future. Disney is reacting to the changes in the outside world and leveraging what those tools enable to introduce new opportunities and experiences. Each of us can choose to embrace change and learn to enjoy our day with it or you’re right, you’ll be left behind.

One practical issue that often gets lost in all of this is the labor impact of pushing all of this to smartphone delivery. As wages increase, there is a growing demand to contain labor costs and one of the ways each and every corporation on the planet is doing that is embracing technology to enable customers/guests to help themselves instead of hiring all kinds of employees to do things for them. Every grocery store I visit now gives me the opportunity for self checkout, which I prefer since it’s nearly always faster than someone else doing it for me- who has to be paid from the price of my groceries. Disney is under those same labor cost pressures and a practical way to manage that is enabling guests to help themselves whenever possible.

The reality is, this is not going to change- It’s going to accelerate in every aspect of our lives.

DavidDL

There are places you can eat where you don't need to mobile order.

Fear of missing out is driving very unrealistic expectations here misinformation is causing a lot of bad takes.

Sure, a select handful. Until those cut their registers, too.

But your continued attempts to try and create some false reality where everyone is capable of enjoying themselves without a phone isn't going to work. Because, realistically, not everyone is interested in the same things. At the very best and giving you as much benefit of doubt as possible; it still must be conceded that not everyone is going to have an enjoyable time and that certain, basic elements of many Guest's days now require a smartphone to access.

You mentioned other places that don't require a cell phone to eat at. Sure, I acknowledge they exist. Rancho is one of them and it's one of my favorites. But what about someone who doesn't like Mexican food? Or someone whose options dwindle considerably due to the mobile ordering requirement? Or what if a Guest visiting for the first time didn't know how quickly demand for something they were interested in would fill up at 8am and arrives hours later hungry only to be told they either a) can't access what they were interested in or b) is told they must now wait upwards of an hour for a plate of spaghetti? Also, because certain dining locations (like Rancho) are some of the only places folks who didn't order in advance are able to even consider, their lines become longer as a result. On my last trip, I waited longer for Rancho than I ever had before.

Also, unrealistic expectations? Is a family of four, whose children are Star Wars fans and super excited to ride Rise of Resistance's expectation that they would be able to ride after paying upwards of $600 to enter all that unrealistic? Sure, that family can soon access the upcoming Lightning Lane and pay $60 to access something that other lucky Guests got for free (until it runs out, too).

But in which scenario (either the purposefully extended dining queues or the having to pay extra for something others got for free), are the Guests enjoying themselves, exactly? Sure, I admit and concede; if all a Guest wants to do is ride Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Thunder and isn't there to eat or doesn't care what they eat, then sure, that Guest will likely have an enjoyable time. But that's an absurdly small and specific group of Guests and you know it.

The idea that the answer to a Guest who is upset that they can't access something after entering is to tell them to "just do something else" or be okay with missing out on something they came to see after paying a king's ransom just to enter, dumbfounds me.

Again, even if we concede that all of these issues can be worked around, you still end up with Guests whose day will be indisputably less enjoyable than those who used their smartphones to plan everything in advance. Guests will be left out without one, unless they conform to your listed attraction interests or don't mind waiting in longer queues for a meal. -and any Guest who leaves the park with any level of regret about something they were unable to do, has had a factually less enjoyable time than others (either because something was unavailable to them or because increased wait times reduced the offerings they could experience). Smartphones and Disney's push to utilize them for more and more things is increasingly becoming one of the only ways to lower the amount of Guests who feel this way leaving the park.

Smartphones = required for your best possible time in park. Sure, you can construct a "good" day without one, with an open mind and with lower expectations. But at Disney's price point, asking people to have low expectations or settle for a lesser experience in any way, is an insult to the Guest.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The amount of times one needs to be on the phone at Disneyland has undoubtedly increased. That can’t be denied. Some people don’t like it, some don’t care. But things have most definitely changed.
I think the same can be said about things outside of DLR as well. The use of mobile technology has increased dramatically over the last 5-10 years. And just like with this there are some that like it and some that don't. That will always happen when something new comes along.

I go back and think to 2015-2016 before MaxPass was introduced and just regular FP was available. I'd still see kids on their phones, its not a new thing. Disney is following a trend that is going across a lot of industries and all our lives. Now whether this is good or bad, that is a personal choice.

Californian Elitist

I think the same can be said about things outside of DLR as well. The use of mobile technology has increased dramatically over the last 5-10 years. And just like with this there are some that like it and some that don't. That will always happen when something new comes along.

I go back and think to 2015-2016 before MaxPass was introduced and just regular FP was available. I'd still see kids on their phones, its not a new thing. Disney is following a trend that is going across a lot of industries and all our lives. Now whether this is good or bad, that is a personal choice.
True. And that’s definitely my point. Disney undoubtedly has made phone usage more of a thing over time. That’s undeniable.

DavidDL

I don't think there's any dispute about smartphones being the way of the future, Disney is absolutely embracing it. Like @raven24 has said, it's factually undeniable. What is also undeniable, is that as time goes on and as more and more of what you're able to do in the parks becomes "folks with a phone have a better time", those looking for a certain level of escapism or those who don't want to use one will be left high and dry.

I also agree with @Disney Irish that what you make of it is a personal choice, as is one's decision to visit the parks to begin with while they continue this trend. I personally think there's a great deal of convivence offered by certain aspects of having a smartphone in the parks. No longer do I need to wear a camera around my neck to get nice photos or videos. No longer do I need to head back to the hub on Main Street to see wait times, then arrive at an attraction to find that the time has changed. These are all great things. But I draw the line at needing to know what I'm in the mood to eat for dinner at 8 in the morning, lest my options dwindle or my wait times for food become ridiculous.

There are definitely, legitimate aspects of a Guests day that is improved by using one. -and others that are hurt by requiring one be used. Regardless of how one feels, those using their phones will maximize their day and have advantages over those who do not. Which, at a certain point, becomes the reality that a phone is necessary to get the most out of your ever increasing entrance fee (whether now or in the future, given the trend).

el_super

Or what if a Guest visiting for the first time didn't know how quickly demand for something they were interested in would fill up at 8am...

Which is exactly what happened to Blue Bayou reservations or Fantasmic Desert Reservations some 30 years ago.

Nothing has changed except that demand is through the roof, and rather than accepting that, pointing at cell phones as the new boogieman was easier. But it is a pretty weak case.

Smartphones = required for your best possible time in park.

I disagree.

DavidDL

Which is exactly what happened to Blue Bayou reservations or Fantasmic Desert Reservations some 30 years ago.

Nothing has changed except that demand is through the roof, and rather than accepting that, pointing at cell phones as the new boogieman was easier. But it is a pretty weak case.

I disagree.

Point 1) Sure, demand is through the roof these days. As a high schooler in '05, I was able to walk up to Blue Bayou at nearly any point in the day and wouldn't be turned away. Not so much anymore. The difference, is that with a smartphone, day-of spots for dining experiences like these don't require any sort of trade-off on the part of the Guest and just about comes down to luck or one's internet provider. 30 years ago, you had to make a choice at rope drop. Either you weren't gonna wait a long time in line for whatever attraction you were most interested in, or you could get to Blue Bayou quick and snag a spot. The point is, the choice was yours. You got to choose what was most important to you so you felt in control. -and whether you missed a day-of spot at Blue Bayou or were now forced to spend 60 minutes of your day waiting for Space Mountain, that was on you. You made that trade-off and you had to accept it. With the smartphone lottery systems that anyone can access from just about anywhere, there are now a select group of folks who are able to "have it all", which is great for them but not for those who were rejected by the 5G/WiFi gods. That is, unless they wanna pay extra for what others were simply given, of course. That feeling of powerlessness is not a great way for any Guest to start their day.

Point 2) Good for you. You disagree because what you're interested in enjoying while in the park either doesn't require you to use one or because you have, like many of us, the good fortune of being a local who knows if they miss something, they can experience it later with relative "ease". Not every Guest thinks like you, has the same insight as you or comes from the same place as you. If a foreigner or out of towner, who is legitimately interested in multiple high demand attractions or a certain dining option is on their vacation, then they will absolutely need a smartphone to get the most out of their visit. Or they leave unfulfilled.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I don't think there's any dispute about smartphones being the way of the future, Disney is absolutely embracing it. Like @raven24 has said, it's factually undeniable. What is also undeniable, is that as time goes on and as more and more of what you're able to do in the parks becomes "folks with a phone have a better time", those looking for a certain level of escapism or those who don't want to use one will be left high and dry.

I also agree with @Disney Irish that what you make of it is a personal choice, as is one's decision to visit the parks to begin with while they continue this trend. I personally think there's a great deal of convivence offered by certain aspects of having a smartphone in the parks. No longer do I need to wear a camera around my neck to get nice photos or videos. No longer do I need to head back to the hub on Main Street to see wait times, then arrive at an attraction to find that the time has changed. These are all great things. But I draw the line at needing to know what I'm in the mood to eat for dinner at 8 in the morning, lest my options dwindle or my wait times for food become ridiculous.

There are definitely, legitimate aspects of a Guests day that is improved by using one. -and others that are hurt by requiring one be used. Regardless of how one feels, those using their phones will maximize their day and have advantages over those who do not. Which, at a certain point, becomes the reality that a phone is necessary to get the most out of your ever increasing entrance fee (whether now or in the future, given the trend).
Exactly. Disney implementing more things that require a smartphone is based on facts and objective. How people are enjoying their trips with said things that require smartphones is subjective. I agree that it’s what the guests make of their trips.

I also agree with you that those who don’t use their phones should prepare themselves by lowering their expectations. Yes, there are some eateries in the park that don’t require mobile ordering, but what if I don’t like any of those places? What if the person who doesn’t have a smartphone isn’t interested in the options at those places? Be prepared for longer standby lines if you don’t mobile order.

That kinda stuff drains the phone’s battery. That’s my personal annoyance with using my phone in the parks. I carry a portable charger with me everywhere just in case, but I would prefer to not have to use it.

DavidDL

Exactly. Disney implementing more things that require a smartphone is based on facts and objective. How people are enjoying their trips with said things that require smartphones is subjective. I agree that it’s what the guests make of their trips.

I also agree with you that those who don’t use their phones should prepare themselves by lowering their expectations. Yes, there are some eateries in the park that don’t require mobile ordering, but what if I don’t like any of those places? What if the person who doesn’t have a smartphone isn’t interested in the options at those places? Be prepared for longer standby lines if you don’t mobile order.

That kinda stuff drains the phone’s battery. That’s my personal annoyance with using my phone in the parks. I carry a portable charger with me everywhere just in case, but I would prefer to not have to use it.

-and when you reach the mindset of "these folks are going to need to lower their expectations" is when we arrive at an obvious problem within whatever system Disney is implementing. In certain instances, I get thinking that way. No one wants or plans for an attraction to break down (Guest or CM). But machines will break and Guests can understand that or be compensated for wasted time.

But no Guest and I mean no Guest, should have to "lower their expectations" regarding their ability to have an accessible bite to eat or fear waiting an hour and a half in line for an oversized meatball after they paid what Disney is asking to come in. That creates a truly un-enjoyable experience.

No Name

I’m a fan of being able to manage everything through the phone because it’s always on me and it allows me to carry less in my pockets, which is particularly helpful at a theme park. I mean as much as I miss the pastime of seeing your ride photo come up on the screen when you exit, it makes way more sense and it’s just a way better experience to have it automatically on your phone. But I do think Disney should strive to be as accommodating as possible to people who don’t have or don’t want to use their phone.

DrAlice

The only people who feel you need a cell phone to complete the experience are the ones already suffering from FOMO HUNGER.

FTFY

But no Guest and I mean no Guest, should have to "lower their expectations" regarding their ability to have an accessible bite to eat or fear waiting an hour and a half in line for an oversized meatball after they paid what Disney is asking to come in. That creates a truly un-enjoyable experience.

THIS. This right here. I don't know how anyone can even remotely defend this. It's currently easier to get coffee or a snack at a county fair. Let that sink in.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
I desperately hope this was intended to be sarcasm, because if not It’s completely ridiculous. To compare life experience in 1965 to 2021 is completely absurd on the surface.

In 1965 we only had 8 black and white channels on the TV, and only one TV in the house.
We had to dial a phone with a round ring and numbers that you pulled in a circle one at a time.
The computer in the home didn’t exist and the Internet wasn’t even a dream.

The world has progressed and will continue to do so at an increasingly rapid pace (as it should) on into the future. Disney is reacting to the changes in the outside world and leveraging what those tools enable to introduce new opportunities and experiences. Each of us can choose to embrace change and learn to enjoy our day with it or you’re right, you’ll be left behind.

One practical issue that often gets lost in all of this is the labor impact of pushing all of this to smartphone delivery. As wages increase, there is a growing demand to contain labor costs and one of the ways each and every corporation on the planet is doing that is embracing technology to enable customers/guests to help themselves instead of hiring all kinds of employees to do things for them. Every grocery store I visit now gives me the opportunity for self checkout, which I prefer since it’s nearly always faster than someone else doing it for me- who has to be paid from the price of my groceries. Disney is under those same labor cost pressures and a practical way to manage that is enabling guests to help themselves whenever possible.

The reality is, this is not going to change- It’s going to accelerate in every aspect of our lives.
Technology gives you options. Lowering your hospitality and using technology as an excuse is silly.

Technology should be a great thing to use, but Disney's use of it is infuriating and not well done.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
I’m a fan of being able to manage everything through the phone because it’s always on me and it allows me to carry less in my pockets, which is particularly helpful at a theme park. I mean as much as I miss the pastime of seeing your ride photo come up on the screen when you exit, it makes way more sense and it’s just a way better experience to have it automatically on your phone. But I do think Disney should strive to be as accommodating as possible to people who don’t have or don’t want to use their phone.
You're thinking of Disney World for the ride photos.

Runbevo83

I am a young person, I work in tech, I can operate a smart phone. For my wife and I the smartphone usage is just overwhelming now for Disneyland.

Here are all the park experiences that require cell phone or website usage these days:

Park Reservation
Virtual Annual Passes
Virtual Tickets
Creating a Party
Joining a Virtual Queue
Reserving Dining
Mobile Order (some restaurants are now strictly mobile order)
Redeeming Virtual Queue Passes
Genie + Reservations
Redeeming Genie + Reservations
Photo Pass

I was in the parks about a month ago and the day before we went was explaining the process to my relatives about how to go on "the new star wars ride".

We had to call Disney IT to get their tickets purchased on their account onto my account with my ticket in order to make sure we could play a lottery the next day for a chance to go on a ride.

This same day my cousin went to the Tiki Bar to get Dole Whip and was told "we're mobile order only, but mobile order has been down for 2 hours now, so you have to go to Tropical Hide Away" (which had a massive line).

So you're telling me even when Disney has a fully functioning food location, they stop serving people if the mobile order service isn't working?

I like Smartphones. I like the ability to have information and see things like ride wait times, or to have a duplicate copy of my ticket in digital form, but beyond that, everything else seems like more trouble than it's worth.

How is a system where someone can only order a corndog to eat 4 hours in the future better than a standby line of customers?

Why do I need to be on my cell phone while driving a car frantically refreshing in order to go on a ride?

Is Disney relying too much on smartphones?
Absolutely. I know how to use my smart phone but I don't want to be on it all the time. It's called a vacation. My phone is for work as well and sometimes I want to get away from it. I'm paying enough and shouldn't be forced to use it. They are slowly going to push the customers out. What about the older generation that may not be as tech saavy or have older phones with shorter battery life. What is Disney saying to them about their loyalty!

CaptinEO

Original Poster
Absolutely. I know how to use my smart phone but I don't want to be on it all the time. It's called a vacation. My phone is for work as well and sometimes I want to get away from it. I'm paying enough and shouldn't be forced to use it. They are slowly going to push the customers out. What about the older generation that may not be as tech saavy or have older phones with shorter battery life. What is Disney saying to them about their loyalty!
I absolutely agree with everything you are saying.

My phone dies midway through the day, so now I need a backpack to carry a battery charger? Insane. I just want to have fun.

MoonRakerSCM

If CMs are demoted to simply handing tray from kitchen to person, will they be payed less than before when they took orders, had guest interaction, and dealt with cash registers?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom