Disney's Next Acquisition Speculation / Discussion

matt78

Its hard to say whether an acquisition of SPE would get approved. If it was just SPE on its own maybe. SPE on its own would be on the level of Marvel or Lucasfilm imo. If it was just the Spider-Man rights they really wanted maybe they could enter an agreement with the DOJ to spin-off SPE after 90 days once they transfer the Spider-Man rights to Marvel. It seems like whole lot of work to go through the approval process just for Spider-Man though.

I still think Disney entering into a partnership to acquire SPE with a Amazon or Netflix isn't a terrible idea. I wonder if the DOJ would allow it if they said "All right tbh we really just want Spider-Man, Sony has agreed to sell, once we give Spider-Man back to Marvel. 90 days after closing the acquisition we will spin-off SPE to our partner Amazon/Netflix"

I think it would be easier just to have Amazon/Netflix buy Sony and then just have them sell Spider-Man back to Disney as a way to get back some of their money. I would think it would also make it so that the DOJ doesn't need to get involved. If Disney is the one to buy Sony and then spin it off I would also like them to keep Men in Black (Marvel owned property) and Ghostbusters (just want it out of Sony executive hands).

brodie999

Someone heard from 2 friends who work in the Hollywood trades and the studios that AT&T doesn't have any interest in the DC and New Line Cinema brands and they're gonna shop them to other companies. Comcast is first in line, but knowing Disney, they could beat them in buying DC and New Line Cinema just like how they did with Fox last year.

seascape

Someone heard from 2 friends who work in the Hollywood trades and the studios that AT&T doesn't have any interest in the DC and New Line Cinema brands and they're gonna shop them to other companies. Comcast is first in line, but knowing Disney, they could beat them in buying DC and New Line Cinema just like how they did with Fox last year.
I seriously doubt AT&T would keep WB if they sold DC. Are you sure they weren't talking about selling the comic book division only but keeping their movie rights? I can see their selling New Line.

brodie999

I seriously doubt AT&T would keep WB if they sold DC. Are you sure they weren't talking about selling the comic book division only but keeping their movie rights? I can see their selling New Line.
Yeah, that's what they heard. There are no links for this yet. But as soon as they confirm it, it'll hit the net. Disney could actually help both DC and New Line Cinema a lot. They said they think it won't take long, but if they surprise everyone this kind of news, it'll go down as the greatest report in media history.

Quinnmac000

Yeah, that's what they heard. There are no links for this yet. But as soon as they confirm it, it'll hit the net. Disney could actually help both DC and New Line Cinema a lot. They said they think it won't take long, but if they surprise everyone this kind of news, it'll go down as the greatest report in media history.

Yeah if they did sell Disney wouldn't buy. Remember resources for DC films will have to come from somewhere most likely pulled for Lucasfilms and Marvel and Marvel will .

The interesting thing is New Line holds the rights to LOTR so essentially if WB saying they want to give up those rights.

Darkprime

Original Poster
I doubt Disney would be interested in DC those characters they don't really fit their library unless if they really wanted it they acquired them through Fox. I wouldn't mind seeing DC go to Universal tho. They could use some new IP. New Line should go somewhere like Paramount. I think WB lost LOTR/Hobbit to Amazon? So perhaps they see no value in keeping New Line? Since it was basically a LOTR/Hobbit production studio.

seascape

All of this is irrelevant because if AT&T were to sell all of DC, including movie and television, neither Disney nor Comcast could ever get government approval. Disney/Fox will have over 40% of the domestic box office this year and DC would put them over 50%. Comcast would also not get government approval. They are already considered too big based as they are the largest ISP and their is concerns over their ability to control streaming speeds.

As for the themepark rights. Six Flags pays more than Comcast ever would. Six Flags has 15 themeparks plus is the largest water park operator in the country. Comcast only has 2 resorts. Yes, Comcast has more revenue from it's parks but that is worldwide, 4 billion vs 1.5 billion, invluding all their hotel rooms. Then there is the fact they have to pay for the Simpson's. Marvel, Harry Potter and others. Six Flags only pays AT&T.

Quinnmac000

All of this is irrelevant because if AT&T were to sell all of DC, including movie and television, neither Disney nor Comcast could ever get government approval. Disney/Fox will have over 40% of the domestic box office this year and DC would put them over 50%. Comcast would also not get government approval. They are already considered too big based as they are the largest ISP and their is concerns over their ability to control streaming speeds.

As for the themepark rights. Six Flags pays more than Comcast ever would. Six Flags has 15 themeparks plus is the largest water park operator in the country. Comcast only has 2 resorts. Yes, Comcast has more revenue from it's parks but that is worldwide, 4 billion vs 1.5 billion, invluding all their hotel rooms. Then there is the fact they have to pay for the Simpson's. Marvel, Harry Potter and others. Six Flags only pays AT&T.

Wrong....DC/New Line are producers not distributors....which would help avoid antitrust which is why Comcast is still buying production companies to this day with the last one occuring around 3 weeks ago. If Disney/Comcast were to buy the distribution aka Warner Bros than that would trigger anti-trust.

Darkprime

Original Poster

I agree Disney probably wouldn't get approval to buy DC because they already own Marvel But I see no reason why Comcast buying DC wouldn't get approved. DC is a small production house compared to other acquisitions. All though Comcast has a lot of control over content distribution buying DC would give them no more leverage than they already have now.

Comcasts last major studio acquisition I believe was DreamWorks animation.

Comcast have been focusing more on distributing content rather than producing I.E buying Sky. Which makes sense. Given they are an ISP However it's clear they want to get into the content creation game. They wanted to buy Fox but failed so they should look at smaller but more meaningful acquisitions.

if they wanted to expand their content library buying DC wouldn't be a bad way to go. DC could use some new leadership its clear WarnerMedia have no idea what to do with DC they are sitting on a goldmine of source material yet they're struggling to get a batman movie made.

Last edited:

capsshield

In my dream world Universal would buy DC and eventually let the six flags contract die out and convert their Marvel land to a DC land. Then add Lotr's to their parks.
Disney would then buy Spiderman from Sony and build a 5th gate to house Marvel land, and a whole lot more.

Darkprime

Original Poster

Disney really shouldn't be allowed to gobble up another studio even if it meant getting spider-man back what I would rather happen is a partnership with Amazon or whoever and they agree to let Disney get Spider-Man if they fit the bill for some of the acquisition. I.E Disney pays 10% of the deal to acquire Sony with Amazon knowing that the only thing they'll get out of it is Spider-Man. They cant later change their minds and decide they want the whole studio etc. Also that article is from back in April. Until a source like CNBC is reporting it, its all rumor. Then again if its true that the rights are non transferable then Disney wouldn't even need to do a partnership just let Amazon or whoever buy Sony and watch the rights revert.

Quinnmac000

So got more information regarding this and its from an activist investor who is pushing these reports out who has been successful at making changes at all the other companies but he doesn't just want them to sell of DC and New Line but a whole lot more (He wants them to keep HBO but rest he doesn't seem to care about) as he doesn't see the value in the 85 billion AT&T purchased.

So this does have a morsel of truth to it but it will be up to AT&T leadership in deciding what non-vital key assets to sell and which to keep.

Edit: and look the articles are starting to come out...
https://deadline.com/2019/09/activi...ng-ma-miscues-and-strategic-drift-1202729243/

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom