Disney's Magical Land of Melodies: A 5th Gate Proposal

SmartNoob89

Original Poster
1. Introduction

a. Opening Statement

If you ask me, each of the 4 parks in WDW represent a central aspect of Disney, both the man and the company. MK represents his overall mission, EPCOT shows his love of progress and diversity, DHS celebrates the company's most effective means of storytelling, and AK represents Walt's love of nature and the wilderness. Pretty impressive, huh? So what else is there that Disney specializes in that could make a magical adventure for families worldwide?

Well, I thought about it and eventually stumbled upon something obvious. An aspect which Disney has specialized in and has been successful at almost from the beginning. The answer: MUSIC.

b. Why Music?

When looking at Disney's history, Walt's turning point was the release of Steamboat Willie. What made it so special was it's use of sound, particularly in melody. Of course, Disney's feature animation and even live-action films are particularly well known for the catchy tunes, be it from the pen of Sherman or Menken. Even the company's current (perhaps misguided) attempt at churning out pop-stars speaks of the company's obsession with music. In short, one of Disney's vital fibers is music.

Outside of Disney, I honestly believe that music is the most universal form of human expression. No matter your culture or creed, almost every genre of music can reach just about anybody. Unlike a script, speech, or even most drawings, music relies on rhythms, beats, and other such phenomena of sound to be successful. Such appriciation I feel relies more on individual standards rather than cultural ones. Music is thereby a theme which appeals to a huge audience.

Finally, like animals, movies, or ideas, there are so many genres and applications of music that it's mind-boggling. This can provide rich material in crafting themed areas, restaurants, shops, rides and other such park features. I feel music is certainly big and varied enough to carry a theme park.

Authors Note: Although I will be posting area ideas for my proposal, you are all welcome to post your own thoughts and ideas. Also, feel free to critique my own ideas.

WED99

you know TTC everyone is kinda getting sick of your negative sarcarstic attitude.
He (She?) is not being negative, he's being realistic. A vital element in the designing process. If tip top weren't here we would all think we were better than we actually are. So far, you're the only negative one in this thread.

WED99

So I thought I might contribute my idea to this. As you mentioned, Steamboat Wille was the first animated short with sound. I kick stated Walt Disney's career and had a huge impact on animation! I think this music park should have some type of entrance that takes guests into the cartoon. A black and white gag filled cartoony land with the famous soundtrack playing on loop the entire day!

I haven't really gone into detail but there's a basic idea from me

SmartNoob89

Original Poster
2. Basic Overview
a. Design

I think it's safe to say that every theme park needs a cornerstone or guidepost to orient their final form. For instance, EPCOT can be said to be built around the idea of an eternal World's Fair and exhibition. My Magical Land of Melodies (MLM) goes by the same concept, only here it's an eternal music festival. In a way, MLM could be considered a sister park to EPCOT.

However, what this would entail would be having a significant amount of concerts and shows, significantly more so than the other parks. However, there would be no registration required and each of these could be viewed from a multitude of angles. Also, there would be wide spaces between areas to allow sound to spread out and not clutter as well as offer places for picnics or gatherings. Furthermore, various performances would happen throughout the day, timed and scheduled to allow something for all and let performers rest and practice. As you can see, the Magical Land of Melodies is significantly different from the Disney tradition.

But despite MLM having a major emphasis on performances or shows, traditional attractions still make up the heart of the park. Here, the attractions are meant to be enthralling, emotional, and somewhat educational. Disney IP's do have a visible presence here, but there is enough original stuff to balance it out. Furthermore, IP's would be shoved in not for marquee value (Okay, maybe a little), but primarily to enhance the overall experience.

b. Areas

Now comes the preview of the park itself! I'll go more in-depth with the attractions, dining, shopping, and other such fun later. They are:

Amadeus Square- The point of entry. The layout is reminiscent of theater districts of 18th-19th century Italy, where opera performances were events as public and social as movie theaters and sports events were today. The buildings, however, reflect modern theaters like Heinz Hall.

The Sherman Bowl- The icon of the park, named for the Sherman brothers. Designed to resemble the Hollywood Bowl, this thing is humongous. It will be used perform special concerts, shows and spectacles every night, with something new every time. However, during the daylight hours, visitors can go beneath the stage for a secret and magical venture...

The Ancestral Stage- Here guests enter a world before rich orchestras or sophisticated staging. We see the most basic type of music, be it from the primitives of the past or those cultures today who still hold the traditional ways dear. The area is supposed to evoke something archaic yet majestic, recalling tribal villages from Africa, The Americas and India, European village squares where bards were common, or the monastaries of Tibet.

The Fantasia Festival- This enchanted area resembles t opera festivals like Bayreauth and Glyndebourne. Here visitors explore the world of classical music through sights and thrills of transcendent beauty. While themed entirely around Fantasia, this area has less to do with the brand and more to do with the idea of Fantasia; experiencing classical music in a way stimulating to the eyes and ears. Indeed, much of what will be seen here will be completely new and heavily involve input from Disney Feature Animation.

Disney Records Central- This will be the area that I guarantee will draw children and families, yet still appeal to anyone else. While I can't pin down a design at the moment, I can tell you guys what to expect. It will consist of experiences which celebrate Disney's rich musical heritage, from the songs of film and television to their orchestral scores. There will be in-depth looks at the creative process, looking at how songs and scores are created, tested and eventually released to the public.

Harlem Heights- Visitors enter an area reminiscent of 1920's-30's Chicago and New Orleans, the height of the Jazz era. This an area I really haven't finalized or thought out yet, but feel is necessary. Of all the modern musical genres, I think Jazz has been the one that really set of the modern age of music.

Rockers Paradise-Here we enter the modern age of music, dedicated to genres like rock'n roll, pop, techno, punk and rap. Here we experience the history and legacy of many artists and experience the challenges of being a star of song. This is a genre I am not as experienced or knowledgeable in, but feel needs to be included.

Please note this a rough outline and I hope to go into more detail later. But I also have school work to accomplish, so expect to see absences of varying lengths. I'd also like to hear your thoughts or own ideas.

Matt7187

2. Basic Overview
a. Design

I think it's safe to say that every theme park needs a cornerstone or guidepost to orient their final form. For instance, EPCOT can be said to be built around the idea of an eternal World's Fair and exhibition. My Magical Land of Melodies (MLM) goes by the same concept, only here it's an eternal music festival. In a way, MLM could be considered a sister park to EPCOT.

However, what this would entail would be having a significant amount of concerts and shows, significantly more so than the other parks. However, there would be no registration required and each of these could be viewed from a multitude of angles. Also, there would be wide spaces between areas to allow sound to spread out and not clutter as well as offer places for picnics or gatherings. Furthermore, various performances would happen throughout the day, timed and scheduled to allow something for all and let performers rest and practice. As you can see, the Magical Land of Melodies is significantly different from the Disney tradition.

But despite MLM having a major emphasis on performances or shows, traditional attractions still make up the heart of the park. Here, the attractions are meant to be enthralling, emotional, and somewhat educational. Disney IP's do have a visible presence here, but there is enough original stuff to balance it out. Furthermore, IP's would be shoved in not for marquee value (Okay, maybe a little), but primarily to enhance the overall experience.

b. Areas

Now comes the preview of the park itself! I'll go more in-depth with the attractions, dining, shopping, and other such fun later. They are:

Amadeus Square- The point of entry. The layout is reminiscent of theater districts of 18th-19th century Italy, where opera performances were events as public and social as movie theaters and sports events were today. The buildings, however, reflect modern theaters like Heinz Hall.

The Sherman Bowl- The icon of the park, named for the Sherman brothers. Designed to resemble the Hollywood Bowl, this thing is humongous. It will be used perform special concerts, shows and spectacles every night, with something new every time. However, during the daylight hours, visitors can go beneath the stage for a secret and magical venture...

The Ancestral Stage- Here guests enter a world before rich orchestras or sophisticated staging. We see the most basic type of music, be it from the primitives of the past or those cultures today who still hold the traditional ways dear. The area is supposed to evoke something archaic yet majestic, recalling tribal villages from Africa, The Americas and India, European village squares where bards were common, or the monastaries of Tibet.

The Fantasia Festival- This enchanted area resembles t opera festivals like Bayreauth and Glyndebourne. Here visitors explore the world of classical music through sights and thrills of transcendent beauty. While themed entirely around Fantasia, this area has less to do with the brand and more to do with the idea of Fantasia; experiencing classical music in a way stimulating to the eyes and ears. Indeed, much of what will be seen here will be completely new and heavily involve input from Disney Feature Animation.

Disney Records Central- This will be the area that I guarantee will draw children and families, yet still appeal to anyone else. While I can't pin down a design at the moment, I can tell you guys what to expect. It will consist of experiences which celebrate Disney's rich musical heritage, from the songs of film and television to their orchestral scores. There will be in-depth looks at the creative process, looking at how songs and scores are created, tested and eventually released to the public.

Harlem Heights- Visitors enter an area reminiscent of 1920's-30's Chicago and New Orleans, the height of the Jazz era. This an area I really haven't finalized or thought out yet, but feel is necessary. Of all the modern musical genres, I think Jazz has been the one that really set of the modern age of music.

Rockers Paradise-Here we enter the modern age of music, dedicated to genres like rock'n roll, pop, techno, punk and rap. Here we experience the history and legacy of many artists and experience the challenges of being a star of song. This is a genre I am not as experienced or knowledgeable in, but feel needs to be included.

Please note this a rough outline and I hope to go into more detail later. But I also have school work to accomplish, so expect to see absences of varying lengths. I'd also like to hear your thoughts or own ideas.
Love it! Can't wait to hear the rides!

Tip Top Club

I love the ideas for your areas, but I do have one suggestion.

I would consider some different names for the areas. I love the feel of your park, but some of the names are mouthfuls, and others just fall flat for me.

Amadeus is definitely your biggest mouthful, I love the idea for the area, but I can't picture any guests actually saying that name the way that you can say something like "Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, Adventureland" Etc. Ancestral is another mouthful, but that one I think, Is less important.

The Sherman Bowl is the one that falls flat for me. The Sherman Brothers are great, and Once again I think the idea for the area is great, but the name sounds anti-climactic.

I would consider changing the names of Harlem Heights, and Disney Records Central entirely. Harlem to me reminds me of, forgive me, high crime rates and low economy. Maybe I'm the only one that thinks that, but the word Harlem has a negative connotation to me. This is probably the area that I'm most excited to hear more about. Disney Records Central, at minimum I would suggest dropping the Disney. Having an entire area be Disney Branded feels very corporate to me, and not something I would want in a theme park, especially one with such a specific theme like this one.

Lastly, I would consider heading in the direction of Harlem Heights for Rocker's Paradise. Perhaps consider theming it to a particular time and place when the specific Rock that you would want to celebrate was most popular. And jump off the name from there.

Anyway, just a few suggestions, I can't wait to hear more!

SmartNoob89

Original Poster
I love the ideas for your areas, but I do have one suggestion.

I would consider some different names for the areas. I love the feel of your park, but some of the names are mouthfuls, and others just fall flat for me.

Amadeus is definitely your biggest mouthful, I love the idea for the area, but I can't picture any guests actually saying that name the way that you can say something like "Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, Adventureland" Etc. Ancestral is another mouthful, but that one I think, Is less important.

The Sherman Bowl is the one that falls flat for me. The Sherman Brothers are great, and Once again I think the idea for the area is great, but the name sounds anti-climactic.

I would consider changing the names of Harlem Heights, and Disney Records Central entirely. Harlem to me reminds me of, forgive me, high crime rates and low economy. Maybe I'm the only one that thinks that, but the word Harlem has a negative connotation to me. This is probably the area that I'm most excited to hear more about. Disney Records Central, at minimum I would suggest dropping the Disney. Having an entire area be Disney Branded feels very corporate to me, and not something I would want in a theme park, especially one with such a specific theme like this one.

Lastly, I would consider heading in the direction of Harlem Heights for Rocker's Paradise. Perhaps consider theming it to a particular time and place when the specific Rock that you would want to celebrate was most popular. And jump off the name from there.

Anyway, just a few suggestions, I can't wait to hear more!

Thanks for the criticism!

Anyway, instead of Disney Records Central, how about the RCA Sound Studio? You know, the company that owned RKO Pictures (distributor of Disney's films in the early years) and provided Disney with their sound equipment? The only problem is that while the company itself is defunct, the trademark is currently owned by Sony.

Instead of Amadeus Square, how does Perotin Square sound? The 'o' is accented and and it kind of roles off the tongue. By the way, it's named for a 12th century French composer, one of the earliest ones recorded in history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pérotin

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom