News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

TrainsOfDisney

I travel with my sister and her family (3 kids under 12) plus our mom every two years or so to WDW. The luggage part will be the worst to adjust to, plus arranging transport for 7 people and their luggage. Crap move on Disney’s part.
That’s the part that doesn’t make sense - Disney’s target audience is the group this will affect the most.

nickys

Premium Member
That’s the part that doesn’t make sense - Disney’s target audience is the group this will affect the most.
That’s true.

Also I’ve noticed they have consistently stressed DME as a perk to us in the U.K. They seem to have upped their game in trying to market an onsite stay to people here and this is one of the things they stress, that and the dining plan.

By taking it away they play into the hands of Universal, not only Cabana Bay but Endless Summer. Those resorts will be new to U.K. visitors and I’m now seriously thinking this will be how we extend our DVC stays. They have a big studio room with two Queen beds, a kitchenette and a separate bedroom for less than a room at POP. If we’re going to have to pay to get to our resort we might as well save some money, do Universal, KSC and other offsite things first and then move to WDW.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I thought that was the basic upside to them using DME.....making us go to and stay in the Disney bubble and not have vehicle to go and spend money elsewhere easily.....yes before uber and lyft moreso but still.....I love DME and have no wish to go outside the bubble when I am on site. I think a large number of people will rethink the "if I have to get a rental car what ELSE should I plan on doing?" Sure hoping they have some transpo plan for when things normalize and volume surges again....:oops:. Even the Minnie Vans are temporarily suspended.....doesn't say cancelled on the WDW site.....pricey to be sure.....but when my mind wanders to future trip planning, this is a huge snag for me. I think I read you still will be able to precheck your luggage from a resort, but not certain.

bcoachable

It is a strange move-
The adverse affect is going to have more guests stay off property, and that seems to fly in the face of their strategies over the past decade or two of maximizing profit by keeping guests tethered to the confines of the WDW.
I’m beginning to wonder if it could be a contract negotiation ploy with Mears or something.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
It is a strange move-
The adverse affect is going to have more guests stay off property, and that seems to fly in the face of their strategies over the past decade or two of maximizing profit by keeping guests tethered to the confines of the WDW.
I’m beginning to wonder if it could be a contract negotiation ploy with Mears or something.
OOoooh that is an interesting thought....yes Mears benefits from DME too.....I love having my yellow tags and zipping past bag check to get on a bus.....the train when done would be good too if they could still take care of the luggage.....so many questions.....you all know how much thought and planning goes into a trip....I actually ordered the unofficial guide coming out just to see what they had to say about covid procedures and if they ponder the DME thingy.....not planning on returning til 2023 but I am starting to think on it.....the DME being defunct stops my mental process from proceeding though.....it is soooooooooooo anticlimatic.....;) Guess I will plan to write my complaint letter......:cautious:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
What I find mildly amusing in such a proclamation is that these same folks aren't considering the cost of taxis/ride shares in and out of the parks (or rental cars) as something they might have to absorb if they go off property.
Saving $200 a night in room costs by staying off property... check!
Saving $25 a night in parking fees... check!
Renting a car for a week... that's two nights in a Disney Deluxe ($450) and if there's one AP in the party, all the park parking is free.
So where's the chuckle in that???

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
1612284480593.png
1612284573659.png
1612284536424.png
1612284865813.png

Yes it's sad to see these familiar sights.....it was wonderful while it lasted.....and just maybe Disney will reinvent this aspect down the road....before I plan another trip.....

Last edited:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
https:///2021/01/magical-express-petition-ad1/

Hey there is a petition that has over 7700 signers online......guess any little bit to catch their attention.....hope a ton of people sign it! :p

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It is a start......not sure how many they will get to sign......what about 50,0000 people?!?!?!:p
Are you saying 50,000 or 500,000?

If it's 50,000, that's a moderate day in the Magic Kingdom. If it's 500,000, that's a good Christmas week in the Magic Kingdom.

When you routinely bring in 20,000,000 people a year in JUST ONE PARK, it kind of puts paltry, pouty petitions in perspective.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Saving $200 a night in room costs by staying off property... check!
Saving $25 a night in parking fees... check!
Renting a car for a week... that's two nights in a Disney Deluxe ($450) and if there's one AP in the party, all the park parking is free.
So where's the chuckle in that???
You're not saving any parking fees, you're just going to be paying for the parking at the theme park rather than at the hotel.

MaryJaneP

ejecting DME is probably not only a negotion tactic for WDW with Mears, but also part of a larger headcount reduction at WDW, what with a number of guests being incentivized to stay off-property. Oh the carnage, it is like watching the Hindenburg.

Parker in NYC

Indeed. Having just one AP in the group pays for daily parking and gives everyone in the group Photopass. Depending on how long your party is staying, it could be cost-saving to have an AP in the group.
I wouldn't put it past Disney to change these rules somehow (though I wouldn't know how other than eradicating those perks).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom