News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

jaklgreen

I almost always use a ride share or rent a car with a drop off at the care center. The few times I've used ME it wasn't that full. I honestly don't know what the big deal is. On others forums and maybe this one too people are always starting threads looking for alternative transportation options. Who want's to get to MCO three hours before their return flight? It's a nice perk for people that like it, but I wonder how many people visiting WDW actually used it.
It cost me 28 dollars to Lyft to MCO. I left an 8 dollar tip.

I exclusively use Magical Express and it has always been busy when I have used it. Maybe at odd times of the day it can get slow but the majority of the day, it's pretty busy. I am glad that Lyft works for you, but as a solo, female traveler, I don't feel safe or comfortable using ride share. A WDW vacation is the one place that solo woman could go and feel safe from the moment that they got to Orlando. And that is huge. And there are a lot more of us then you would imagine. I always run into other single woman while there. Why would anyone think that it's "no big deal" to take away a safe form of transportation for woman?

Miss Bella

I exclusively use Magical Express and it has always been busy when I have used it. Maybe at odd times of the day it can get slow but the majority of the day, it's pretty busy. I am glad that Lyft works for you, but as a solo, female traveler, I don't feel safe or comfortable using ride share. A WDW vacation is the one place that solo woman could go and feel safe from the moment that they got to Orlando. And that is huge. And there are a lot more of us then you would imagine. I always run into other single woman while there. Why would anyone think that it's "no big deal" to take away a safe form of transportation for woman?
A lot of women travel solo for business and pleasure domestic and international. I’m not sure personal fear would be a reason for Disney to keep magical express.

Chi84

Premium Member
From what I’ve read here, it seems ME is often used by families that, for whatever reason, find rideshares inconvenient. Having to find car seats for more than one child or a car large enough for the family and all its luggage can be difficult. I didn’t get the feeling it was used primarily by solo travelers, but I can certainly understand why it would be an attractive option for them too. Not everyone is the same.

Parker in NYC

I almost always use a ride share or rent a car with a drop off at the care center. The few times I've used ME it wasn't that full. I honestly don't know what the big deal is. On others forums and maybe this one too people are always starting threads looking for alternative transportation options. Who want's to get to MCO three hours before their return flight? It's a nice perk for people that like it, but I wonder how many people visiting WDW actually used it.
We don't drive and never intend to learn, and have enjoyed not having to find and book transportation from MCO to Disney for the last 15 years. We love skipping baggage claim and checking in for our flights at the resort and also having our bags taken care of there. We use Uber and Lyft all the time in the city and it was nice to get into the Disney bubble and stay there. It's why we go.

I can't speak for anyone else but my ME buses have always been packed. This is a terrible change and it is influencing my desire to stay onsite. However, with this extra 30 minute resort 'perk' I imagine it will take even longer to get into a park for off-site guests. I never even liked going to EMH while on property (save for those glorious days when they were after hours... or those truly glorious E-nights). But Disney has us by the... mouse ears as usual.

Miss Bella

From what I’ve read here, it seems ME is often used by families that, for whatever reason, find rideshares inconvenient. Having to find car seats for more than one child or a car large enough for the family and all its luggage can be difficult. I didn’t get the feeling it was used primarily by solo travelers, but I can certainly understand why it would be an attractive option for them too. Not everyone is the same.
I’m sure some private company will start offering busses to WDW for a fee. There are already shuttles out to port canaveral.

Somebody will make money off this.

Buck Wheelie

Maybe we go at different times of the years but we have never been on a DME bus to or from MCO that had more than a couple empty seats.

Cost have gone up over the years to cover expenses like DME. Now DME is going away or at least the "free" part of it and Disney prices are at an all time high.. Disney is saving a lot of money but I don't think guests will see any of that savings.

Miss Bella

Maybe we go at different times of the years but we have never been on a DME bus to or from MCO that had more than a couple empty seats.

Cost have gone up over the years to cover expenses like DME. Now DME is going away or at least the "free" part of it and Disney prices are at an all time high.. Disney is saving a lot of money but I don't think guests will see any of that savings.
Life as we knew it pre covid may never come back. I know this is Disney board, but Disney getting rid of ME seems like the least of our worries.

Lilofan

That is very true, but even it the pandemic does go away businesses are cutting cost. Will daily housekeeping and the free hot breakfast at hotel chains ever come back? Who knows at this point.
Free hotel buffet breakfast is still ongoing in some hotel chains in the South. The only difference is a staff member plates your food for you.

JoeCamel

Free hotel buffet breakfast is still ongoing in some hotel chains in the South. The only difference is a staff member plates your food for you.
The only place I found that to be true this last summer and last year was a Drury Inn in Texas I think it was, they served you and it was refreshing to not be handed a bag of something I wouldn't eat in any case like the 20+ other places I was. Mid level chain roadside places for the most part.

map.PNG

disneyC97

We don't drive and never intend to learn, and have enjoyed not having to find and book transportation from MCO to Disney for the last 15 years. We love skipping baggage claim and checking in for our flights at the resort and also having our bags taken care of there. We use Uber and Lyft all the time in the city and it was nice to get into the Disney bubble and stay there. It's why we go.

I can't speak for anyone else but my ME buses have always been packed. This is a terrible change and it is influencing my desire to stay onsite. However, with this extra 30 minute resort 'perk' I imagine it will take even longer to get into a park for off-site guests. I never even liked going to EMH while on property (save for those glorious days when they were after hours... or those truly glorious E-nights). But Disney has us by the... mouse ears as usual.
X1000

HarperRose

I am completely speculating here, but I also think that Disney might be taken by surprise in that they seem to be pursuing a somewhat male-centric business plan (a focus on big ticket items such as rides and action movies,) while some huge percentage of travel decisions are made by women (80%, according to Google.) My guess is that it is women - moms, women traveling alone, grandmas, etc. - who value the ME most, and Disney's executive team seems to skew heavily male. Again, total speculation, but I think they may have a bit of a blind spot here and be surprised at the pushback on this decision.
That is a great point and one I had not considered. I believe you are correct.

*I still have not received any type of response to my email to Disney right after this was announced.

mattpeto

My email reply kind of keeps the door open for a bolt-on...

“As Walt Disney World continues to plan for the future, we will be evolving parts of our experience for Disney Resort hotel stays.”

“As with every other change we’ve made in our history, we will help Guests navigate through these next steps and will continue to deliver on what’s expected from a Disney experience. We will continue to honor Disney's Magical Express Service for Resort arrivals through the end of 2021.”

My email really tried to hammer in the point that was about of peace of mind. Especially if you are planning for multiple families.

PirateFrank

Of all the things Disney has cut, I don't think a $30 cab ride is the hill people will die on.

You'd be surprised. I personally know of several families that have hard-shifted their planning in light of this. They, flat out, will stop considering on-property lodging after 1/1/22, knee jerking out an assertion that losing DME makes on-property lodging no longer worth the extra cost. What I find mildly amusing in such a proclamation is that these same folks aren't considering the cost of taxis/ride shares in and out of the parks (or rental cars) as something they might have to absorb if they go off property.

Personally, I don't understand the strong visceral reaction to the loss of DME, as I stopped using them 3-4 years ago (I can easily save 1 hour by simply grabbing an Uber from or to the airport). I'd rather pay the money and get to my hotel quicker.

But make no mistake, there are people that view the loss of this "free" item as a deal breaker, while failing to consider the cost of transpiration from off property.

bcoachable

What I find mildly amusing in such a proclamation is that these same folks aren't considering the cost of taxis/ride shares in and out of the parks (or rental cars) as something they might have to absorb if they go off property.
Maybe those families realize that the money they saved from staying off property will make up for the cost of a rental car (and some).

Edit to ask: anyone know where ‘74 is when he is most needed for a spirited tirade???

Last edited:

Buck Wheelie

People will speak with their wallets based on principal. I think the majority of people see ME as a big loss. Is $30 extra for a ride going to break the bank? Probably not but if people feel like its one less perk of staying at Disney for high prices then why not stay across the street? Also a lot of people are like me and would never take a chance on uber or lyft. That's not a realistic option.

PirateFrank

Maybe those families realize that the money they saved from staying off property will make up for the cost of a rental car (and some).

Edit to ask: anyone know where ‘74 is when he is most needed for a spirited tirade???

Thats certainly part of the calculus as well....and those families are free to make such a decision. However, what I was referring to was the knee-jerk reaction that the loss of DME immediately destroyed the value of staying on property - without any calculations of the cost of rental cars, ride-shares, or factoring intangible costs like accessibility to disney transpiration within the resort. These families were clearly placing a value on some of those perks of staying on property prior to this change. So it just seemed odd to me to make such a sweeping knee-jerk reaction with the loss of DME, one small aspect of those perks.

...and my point to the person whom I was responding to, was that there are plenty of families out there prepared to die on the DME hill (a vernacular he used in his post).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom