News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

el_super

Right. I'd also add that isn't Brightline more of a commuter train/regional railway model? It only will be running like once an hour or so as opposed to something like a city subway system or light rail where you get trains every 5-10 minutes.

I've probably waited as long as 35 minutes for a Magical Express bus before. I don't think an hour is completely unreasonable, considering it's just bad timing.

I feel like I'm totally missing something because I don't know how Brightline would remotely work for the vast vast majority of WDW guests.

A train isn't all that different from a bus. It's still a big metal box with wheels on it. It will go from Point A to Point B.

Perhaps by not scrubbing these comments it’s Disney’s way of saying “We will do whatever we want and you will complain but you will still come, see ya real soon.”

Or they know they have an alternative they are about to announce.

TTLUTS

It isn’t really a replacement of value though. Sure, they didn’t eradicate the idea completely but, 30 minutes isn’t the same as one hour more in the morning or evening. Sometimes it was even more then an hour.

Also, if memory serves wasn’t the studios ALREADY DOING THIS and opening up an HOUR early. To accommodate the early risers to ride Rise of the Resistance. I think when I was there last January (pre-COVID) they did that.
Yes but now you have to have a resort reservation to so it

lazyboy97o

I’m wondering in regards to funding the build/tax breaks etc? There’s gotta be a motive behind this, I’m just throwing out guesses what it could be
The airport, who would be losing the revenue from the bus staging and baggage operations, is owned by the City of Orlando but tax breaks would more come from the county or state. Brightline is a private company so Disney not paying Mears wouldn't impact funding. Disney has already allowed Brightline to announce that they are on board for a station which is what would really help investment and this announcement didn't include any mention of the train, it is just an assumption.

GusEzra

It may not be much of a issue but flights in to MCO might take a hit from this, If I have to rent a car and drive from the AP to the resort why do I have to fly in to MCO when flights to Tampa could be cheaper? pre covid flights to MCO never got discounts but tampa/st pete did. but then again maybe im being too rational and not thinking correctly.

doctornick

It isn’t really a replacement of value though. Sure, they didn’t eradicate the idea completely but, 30 minutes isn’t the same as one hour more in the morning or evening. Sometimes it was even more then an hour.

Also, if memory serves wasn’t the studios ALREADY DOING THIS and opening up an HOUR early. To accommodate the early risers to ride Rise of the Resistance. I think when I was there last January (pre-COVID) they did that.

It's less time, but it's every park and every day. So, it's... different. I'm not saying it's "better" in an absolute way but for some people the new setup will indeed be better than EMH. For others worse. It certainly tilts rope drop at every park every day way in favor of resort guests.

note2001

The train from CDG to Disneyland Paris is very similar. You get your bags, take them on the train with you, unload at the DL station, and then load them onto a resort bus outside the station. The downside is it’s more luggage maneuvering, the upside is the high speed train takes 10 minutes compared to a 35 minute drive.

We‘ve done the trip via commuter rail (RER - about $10 and took an hour, would never do this again with luggage), via hired car (about $30 and about 35 minutes), and via the high speed train (about $45 and 10 minutes) and IMO the high speed train is by far the best.

I enjoy the Magical Express but if the train can get me out of traffic and to my resort a half hour sooner than a car I’ll be on it.
Ditto re: train, I'm excited to try it when it arrives, but if transferring to get over to the MCO station takes an extra 25 minutes beyond what M.E. would take to get me on the bus, it's a wash.

bpiper

It may not be much of a issue but flights in to MCO might take a hit from this, If I have to rent a car and drive from the AP to the resort why do I have to fly in to MCO when flights to Tampa could be cheaper? pre covid flights to MCO never got discounts but tampa/st pete did. but then again maybe im being too rational and not thinking correctly.
Rental cars are frequently cheaper there.... We have done the fly into Tampa, rental car to Disney many times before.

Nice Airport. New peoplemover to the rental car area.

aliceismad

There's a huge difference between regular talking and talking about personal life details that shouldn't be told to a stranger you just met and will never see again, especially when you are just paying for a transportation service.
My issue is how many Ubers I have been in with questionable mechanics. I'm not inclined to take my kid if I can avoid it, especially if she needs a car seat. I was in an Uber once in San Francisco that I was positive was not going to make it up the hills and was going to fall apart on the way down.

doctornick

A train isn't all that different from a bus. It's still a big metal box with wheels on it. It will go from Point A to Point B.

Point B isn't your hotel though. That's a massive difference.

Again, there's plenty of alternatives for DME and there will likely be an almost similar service by Mears available except it won't be included in your resort stay. I just don't see how Brightline would work for the vast majority of Disney guests flying into MCO.

Please note: I am not saying that Brightline as a service in general or having a stop at Disney Springs specifically doesn't make sense; it does. I'm saying that it doesn't work as a replacement for DME very well, so I don't understand why people are even bringing it up.

dreday3

We are lucky to travel as a couple without the hassle of car-seats and small people.
We read the announcement and went, well we will have to Uber after this year. That was the end of our concern. :D

It was a fun ride, nice way to start the trip and I'm bummed it's leaving, but in no way a make or break for us. We visited before it, we will visit after.

bgraham34

We are lucky to travel as a couple without the hassle of car-seats and small people.
We read the announcement and went, well we will have to Uber after this year. That was the end of our concern. :D

It was a fun ride, nice way to start the trip and I'm bummed it's leaving, but in no way a make or break for us. We visited before it, we will visit after.

It still should be a concern because now you have to pay more for what was once included. Its not like hotel rates are going to go down. You will spend more and more for less and less.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom