News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

UNCgolf

So just consider it a price hike on the hotel room. Would an extra 40 bucks a night change your mind on a vacation?

I drive to Disney, so it's not a concern of mine regardless. I was already paying for a service I didn't use.

But yes, those $40 here and there add up quickly. Disney resort prices are ballooning out of control compared to what you get for the price. One of the reasons I have no plans to go any time soon.

TrainsOfDisney

First it was "free parking" for on site resort guests vanished and now you pay, then it was Magic Bands which were "free" now you pay, now it's Magical express which was "free" and now it's completely gone. Disney-- I just don't think I can take any more of your magic.
And the majority of in-park entertainment,
And in park extras like Sorcerers,
And EMH,

The list is starting to stack up!

wedenterprises

First it was "free parking" for on site resort guests vanished and now you pay, then it was Magic Bands which were "free" now you pay, now it's Magical express which was "free" and now it's completely gone. Disney-- I just don't think I can take any more of your magic.
Yep and each one was built into the price of the room/park. When they started charing for those things the price of the room/park stayed the same. The ol' bait and switch. Evil.

UNCgolf

The reality of Disney's Magical Express was that it is essentially a Mears owned/operated entity that was sponsored and paid for by Disney.

It's likely the service stays in place without the Disney branding and obviously with a fee.

And with the requirement to haul your own luggage around.

Again, though, I think Disney had already eliminated that part of the service sometime in the past year or two.

el_super

Disney does not own or operate those buses, Mears does and look for Mears to continue to offer as paid service (like they provide for DL)

Is Mears the same company as Gray Line in California? The Disneyland Express bus that was operated by Gray Line between LAX and DLR shutdown in January (of 2020).

There is no official shuttle between DLR and LAX and both Gray Lines and Super Shuttle stopped operating about the same time.

If the decision of third party operators are any indication in CA, it might stand to reason that MCO, feeling the pandemic financial crunch, is passing along additional costs for staging at the airport, and that those additional costs no longer make financial sense for Disney. This isn't an isolated decision with one service at one airport.

Disney Glimpses

And with the requirement to haul your own luggage around.

Again, though, I think Disney had already eliminated that part of the service sometime in the past year or two.
Correct, due to COVID. Honestly it wasn't so bad. It was nice having the luggage straight away and they handle getting it in and out of the bus for you.

But I think this is the reason Disney isn't going to just switch to a fee'd service. It's not really their service to charge people for.

Stitch826

I haven't gone through every single post, but I have to laugh a little about this. So many of us reminisce about how amazing Disney once was and how it's gone downhill. All of my trips as a kid and young adult were in a time with...

- No fast passes
- No extra magic hours
- No real park hopping
- No dining plan
- No Magical Express

Disney is starting to sound a lot like "the good ole days." Yes, I know a version of hopping is being brought back and resort parking fees are being assessed, but still...it's just kind of funny (not in the ha ha way) of how this all looks. That being said, I used the feature when we would fly to WDW, and while it saved some costs, it always kind of frustrated me. So, I'm mixed on it being cut.
There are several major factors you are not mentioning here:

First, Disney wasn’t always as packed as it is now (or should I say was, pre-pandemic). With hotels continuing to be built while not building additional theme parks since the end of the 90’s, attendance is obviously much greater than it used to be.

Secondly, prices have skyrocketed compared to fifteen or twenty years ago. Just compare the price of a one-day park ticket now versus 2004. Not to mention hotels. In the mid-2000s, you could stay at the Polynesian for under $400 per night. Now you’re lucky if it’s under $600.

Finally, there’s the expansion of Universal. One would think that having a major and growing competitor would force Disney to do more to entice guests. Right now they’re doing the opposite.

plawren2

Is Mears the same company as Gray Line in California? The Disneyland Express bus that was operated by Gray Line between LAX and DLR shutdown in January (of 2020).

There is no official shuttle between DLR and LAX and both Gray Lines and Super Shuttle stopped operating about the same time.

If the decision of third party operators are any indication in CA, it might stand to reason that MCO, feeling the pandemic financial crunch, is passing along additional costs for staging at the airport, and that those additional costs no longer make financial sense for Disney. This isn't an isolated decision with one service at one airport.
My mistake, you are correct. But Mears does own and operate the WDW buses and my point was that Mears will continue to offer as paid service on their own.

lazyboy97o

Research confirms that the Brightline rail to Disney springs from MCO looks to be ontrack to open in 2022. Can't say if it will be open Jan 1st or not.

My own experience with extended rail service is that they're never on time with construction.
Service to the airport from Miami is expected to open in 2022. There is no way Brightline will be able to design, permit, build and open a line in less than a year.

SoFloMagic

DPB comment: "How can you do this? Why would I pay for disney anymore????"

Disney:

download.jpeg

Disney by this point knows their customers are addicts and will not be leaving in large numbers.

So, this happens.

J_Carioca

I think I'm seriously done. As someone who ALWAYS flies to WDW, the Magical Express was a huge perk. It's not about the cost, it's about the convenience of knowing that as soon as you land, you know where to go and you don't have to worry about getting a ride share or a cab or whatever. And yes, it makes the vacation start as soon as you land at MCO. It was just one of the many special touches that WDW did that made the whole vacation easy and fun. Getting rid of the bus as well as EMH is such a massive slap in the face. So let me get this straight...I will be paying the same amount of money for my WDW hotel room, but getting a lot less in return. Yeah...no thanks.

Disney Glimpses

DPB comment: "How can you do this? Why would I pay for disney anymore????"

Disney:

View attachment 523490

Disney by this point knows their customers are addicts and will not be leaving in large numbers.

So, this happens.
Yes and no. The goal of a public company is growth. While they will retain 99% of us, the growth could be stagnated with less offerings and no decreases in pricing. In my opinion, I think it is likely at this point. The buzz will be that there is no longer a reason to stay on property (and they are sort of right). Time will tell.

rustincohle

You guys are too hysterical. Everyone hated FP+ and swore up and down how bad they made the planning experience. Now FP+ is going and you're upset about that, too.
Is there actually credible rumours that it's going, or just speculation? As someone who can only visit once every couple of years I'm a fan of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom