News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

Obobru

Great environmental move by Disney cutting buses that carried about 10-15 car loads of people at a time.

This will save Disney a chunk of money and in reality people have been going off site since ride shares came along and made it cheaper to do so without needing to hire a car so they won't see any significant bump reduction in spending on site.

Lots of people will moan about this but I bet 99% of them will still stay on site, Disney knows what suckers people are, it's allowed them to cut costs and provide less for years and they still have a lot more fat they can cut. I am Disney's worst kind of customer I stay off site, get an Lyft in only buy lunch and we don't eat s lot so often we share a meal, don't buy their low quality tacky merch which was far better quality 15+ yrs ago and then we leave and eat off site in the evening.

What's the bets on what they will look to cut next? I suspect the DDP is going to be getting an overhaul, less value lower quality food (if that's possible at this stage).

icc2515

Disney vacations are supposed to be seamless. That's a huge part of the value proposition. This cuts directly to the heart of that, and is the first cut that will actually make me postpone or cancel a trip.
They still will be. You will just have to pay (a lot) for the service. This is a way for Disney to raise hotel prices without raising hotel prices. Oh, and they are still going to raise hotel prices.

KevinBailey

This is a sad thing to hear. The Magical Express is one of the most convenient ways to travel to and from the airport. I am concerned that there will be many more guests renting cars and this will be a problem. The last time we rented a car and stayed at Board Walk it was really inconvenient, many times we drove around the parking lot without finding a parking space and so decided we would use the Magical Express instead. I would gladly pay to use the Magical Express and hope that Disney is considering that option.

Lilofan

Great environmental move by Disney cutting buses that carried about 10-15 car loads of people at a time.

This will save Disney a chunk of money and in reality people have been going off site since ride shares came along and made it cheaper to do so without needing to hire a car so they won't see any significant bump reduction in spending on site.

Lots of people will moan about this but I bet 99% of them will still stay on site, Disney knows what suckers people are, it's allowed them to cut costs and provide less for years and they still have a lot more fat they can cut. I am Disney's worst kind of customer I stay off site, get an Lyft in only buy lunch and we don't eat s lot so often we share a meal, don't buy their low quality tacky merch which was far better quality 15+ yrs ago and then we leave and eat off site in the evening.

What's the bets on what they will look to cut next? I suspect the DDP is going to be getting an overhaul, less value lower quality food (if that's possible at this stage).
Befitting for increased income with elimination of DME

FL highway toll roads with more vehicles using
WDW Resort parking fees
Rental car companies
Taxi yellow cabs, Uber, Lyft
Local businesses when rental car drivers visit their locations
Tourist tax slapped on the bill of rental agreements

UNCgolf

The DDP is the one thing they should cut, even though it almost certainly wouldn't make any difference in the food quality at this point. WDW would still be better off without it, though.

twilight mitsuk

1610401178732.jpeg

entire trip replacement

note2001

Research confirms that the Brightline rail to Disney springs from Miami* looks to be on track to open in 2022. Can't say if it will be open Jan 1st or not.

My own experience with extended rail service is that they're never on time with construction.

* Edited as I had MCO in there

From the official website:

Brightline is actively constructing a new rail line to bring passengers from our Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach stops to Orlando. Our team is hard at work to continue our excited expansion plans. Service connecting South Florida to Central Florida is expected to open in 2022.​

Last edited:

Disney Glimpses

This is confusing. People still need to get to the resort. If not by bus, it will be by car or van. The emissions aren't going away, they are just being traded to a different vehicle. One could argue this move would cause more emissions at times as one bus is unlikely to produce as much emissions as 20 cars would.

BoarderPhreak

Like replacing EMH, the loss of this service is yet another reason it will be a good long while before my family visits again. We rely on this service not to have to rent a car, at the very least on the way back to the airport on the way out (we sometimes rent a car, spend time with family and then drive to WDW and give up the car at the Dolphin). The value add is just becoming less by the bucket full these days.

GusEzra

As someone who typically flies to Disney, this is by far the most impactful recent cut.

Disney vacations are supposed to be seamless. That's a huge part of the value proposition. This cuts directly to the heart of that, and is the first cut that will actually make me postpone or cancel a trip.

I've emailed Guest Services, and I would encourage you to do the same.
The dining plan and the ME, and all the transportation options to get around is what gave a WDW vacation the feel of an all inclusive. Well as close as they can, and thats how they market it as well I guess that all changes.

Indy_UK

While people don't like what the Dinning plan has become, what benefit is there to getting rid of it? Any drop in quality probably wont return so is it just less traffic in the restaurants?

Parker in NYC

This is confusing. People still need to get to the resort. If not by bus, it will be by car or van. The emissions aren't going away, they are just being traded to a different vehicle. One could argue this move would cause more emissions at times as one bus is unlikely to produce as much emissions as 20 cars would.
hear! hear!

Shouldigo12

The ability to travel off site without a rental car via taxi/uber/lyft has been around since WDW opened. I'm sure that Uber has pushed some people into being more willing to travel off site/ not use the buses, but I'm not convinced it was so many people Disney is seemingly giving up on the bubble entirely.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
The original version of the DDP was great. What it became wasn’t.

It used to include appetizer, entree, dessert and gratuity if I remember correctly?
It did. And when it did, it was an incredible value. At the time, I thought it was too good to last, and it was. But it was great for a couple of years, then good for a few more years, and then...

I do love my TiW card, though.

TrainsOfDisney

The ability to travel off site without a rental car via taxi/uber/lyft has been around since WDW opened. I'm sure that Uber has pushed some people into being more willing to travel off site/ not use the buses, but I'm not convinced it was so many people Disney is seemingly giving up on the bubble entirely.
The Orlando cabs are terrible. Before Uber I used the lynx busses to get around off property after being totally disgusted with the cab system and the way they over-charged me.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There's no viable 3rd party option for families of multiple car seat aged children.

The weird thing is that they used to offer one at Disneyland for a fee, and that was discontinued as well. Completely.

I'm sure Mears will still run bus shuttles.

When Minnie Vans come back, they have multiple car seats.

The difference is there's no free ride from the airport to resorts now.

UNCgolf

hear! hear!

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm. At least that's how I read it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom