News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

Chip Chipperson

Wow, this is a real bummer. My wife and I love the Magical Express. Aside from 1 trip with my family as a kid back in 1986 (we stayed off-property, anyway), I've only traveled to WDW in the Magical Express era. I don't always love standing in line for the bus or getting up extra early for the departing bus back to the airport for our morning flight, but there's still something fun about the anticipation as you approach the Magical Express check-in after getting off the plane and watching the videos on the bus ride to the resort. Something tells me that waiting in line for a rental car won't be nearly as much of a fun memory - especially now that the demand for car rentals will increase.

I'm sure this is all about cutting costs (or, being generous, 99% about cutting costs and 1% about misinterpreting guest surveys during the pandemic when the desire to sit on a bus full of strangers is at an all-time low).

Chip Chipperson

Great idea, Disney! Let's make sure everyone and their money has a quick way to get off property and visit Sea World and Universal!

Not to mention, the fact that most guests have a finite amount of money to spend while on vacation (even if that amount is higher for some than for others). Add the cost of a car rental and parking (for non-DVC guests) and you've likely either shortened a family's trip or reduced how much they spend on souvenirs, snacks, etc. in the parks.

I'm sorry if this has all been said already. I'm just hearing about this news and the thread is already 9 pages long so I haven't read everything.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
There has to be more to this decision. This undermines over a decade of business strategy. Forget the impact on guests. This will likely have an appreciable impact on the business.
When you're an ENTERTAINMENT company, why waste cycles running lodging, transportation, food service, etc...?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I hate to be “that guy”...but this is obviously just an excuse to dump a contract. And implement a new charge service if they want.

Uber and Lyft are not siphoning off a high enough percentage to justify this.

And it just is the standard recession stuff: cut everything and see what sticks?

Just a complete change in management philosophy...no desire to keep you there or get you there. The cost of all their “convenient”
Payment up front plans

ThatMouse

It's sad when ride share and taxi is the cheaper option. Unfortunately we are driving distance to Disney so we're stuck with the resort parking fee no matter what we do. Also sad when being too close to Disney is such a thing.

Imhere

Haven't we heard the rumor every few months for the past 3 or 4 years that Magical Express is going to end soon? Or, at least, FREE Magical Express.

I don't mind. I used it once and decided climbing out of a small airplane seat and climbing into a small bus seat was not for me.

Jrb1979

I don’t know why anyone would pay to be at any resort now, the benifit is practically gone.
FIFY. The bubble has a big hole in it now. There is no reason to stay on property now. It's much cheaper to get a place to sleep off site and rent a car. I rent though Costco and they have cheap deals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom