Disney's Magical Express testing pickup from Downtown Disney

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
This could actually be a really good idea. I usually travel on JetBlue, so my free bag always gets checked at the hotel the morning of my flight. I'm usually just carrying my camera bag, so I'm not toting around any significant carry on that would be checked with bell services, and I've always found it a pain to head back from DTD to the hotel to get MME. If it were offered to me, I'd definitely use it.

asianway

isnt one of the MM+ goals to be able to drop you off DME at a park rather than a hotel?

If they started only drop offs and pickups at the DTD and parks, and picked up/delivered luggage to the hotels on different buses more infrequently, i could see the cost savings start racking up.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I read this article and wondered how much of a benefit this will possibly be to people? I've never heard anyone bring this up as an issue before. Just curious.
To anyone like me, who doesn't fly out of Orlando until early evening, this is a great idea. I usually always go to DTD on the day I fly home, and having to plan that extra 45-60 minutes to get back to the hotel for MME pickup, is just another waste of the tail end of your vacation. This is truly a plus for guests that want to utilize those last few minutes of their trip. Of course, it's a win for DTD too, because those last few pennies that you forgot to spend, can now be left where they rightfully belong....in the coffers of TWDC!

Scar

Agree that not only would it be good to pick up at DTD, but if you could pick up at the parks would be even better. Why do they make you go back to your resort? I'm sure there is a rhyme and reason but it escapes me. More money/time spent at parks and/or DTD is a better vacation. JMHO.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I can see where this might a good idea for some people but it won't work for me. I always have my carry on bag and I don't want to cart that around with me at DTD.

HouCuseChickie

Loving this idea...we've got 7pm return flight and planned on DTD that day. Would be perfect to just hop onto DME from there rather than trekking back to the resort.

Computer Magic

I love this idea!!! We always want one last Earl Sandwich before going home. I always seem rushed as you can't count on the return bus from DTD to the resort in order to catch your ride to the airport.

Even better would be the drop off at DTD when you arrive. To save the dining plan credits, we always buy Earl Sandwich when we get to the resort. In Feb we waited almost an hour on the bus at the resort to DTD.

I could see Disney saving money by only offering drop offs at 5 locations (4 parks and DTD) rather than 15+ resorts.

Cosmic Commando

This is brilliant. The perfect thing would be to have DME go to the parks, as well, but this is a great start. We normally leave as late in the day as we can, so we won't just sit around the hotel all day... we want to do something! In addition to helping out guests who want to go to DtD for a partial last day, it will also reduce a little bit of the load on the normal bus system.

WDWFan_Boston

To anyone like me, who doesn't fly out of Orlando until early evening, this is a great idea. I usually always go to DTD on the day I fly home, and having to plan that extra 45-60 minutes to get back to the hotel for MME pickup, is just another waste of the tail end of your vacation. This is truly a plus for guests that want to utilize those last few minutes of their trip. Of course, it's a win for DTD too, because those last few pennies that you forgot to spend, can now be left where they rightfully belong....in the coffers of TWDC!

I understand what you are saying and it sounds like a win-win for everyone. My only fear would be if they would track who gets picked up at a resort and who gets picked up at DTD. Can you imagine the chaos if the buses at DTD were overfilled, making someone late for their flight?

LostPrincessKarleigh

This is great! My family has never flown to WDW, but considering we now live in Texas (and an 18 hour drive would be AWFUL with my circus of 6+) flying is going to be a better option. Hopefully this will expand to the parks so I can get in that last Dole Whip and afternoon parade before having to head home.;)

Tigger1988

I understand what you are saying and it sounds like a win-win for everyone. My only fear would be if they would track who gets picked up at a resort and who gets picked up at DTD. Can you imagine the chaos if the buses at DTD were overfilled, making someone late for their flight?
The same why they track who gets picked up at which resort currently, the "tickets" you get in the booklet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom