Disney's lost opportunity with Moore film seen minor

speck76

Original Poster
Disney's lost opportunity with Moore film seen minor
Friday June 25, 7:52 pm ET
By Peter Henderson

LOS ANGELES, June 25 (Reuters) - Michael Moore's gain will be Walt Disney Co.'s lost opportunity when anti-Bush film "Fahrenheit 9/11" opens this weekend, distributed by rivals after Disney shunned the controversial movie.

But many Disney investors said that from a financial perspective they were not concerned by the company's decision.

Showings of the film, which mocks President George W. Bush and criticizes his policy in Iraq, have sold out in New York theaters and the movie is set to open on 868 screens on Friday, a record for a documentary.

Lions Gate Entertainment Corp. (Toronto:LGF.TO - News), which is distributing the movie with IFC Films, saw its stock climb about 3.5 percent on Friday. IFC is co-owned by a division of media major Viacom Inc. (NYSE:VIAb - News).

Investors in Disney, which dwarfs Lions Gate, generally were not worried about Chief Executive Michael Eisner's decision to avoid the political movie, which filmmaker Moore hopes will help unseat Bush in the November election.

"Certainly as a shareholder I'd like Disney to make more money than less, but I think Disney and Eisner made the correct decision," said Jack Liebau, whose Liebau Asset Management owns Disney stock.

Liberal activists, however, said they hoped to make such investors -- and Disney management -- sorry for shunning Moore's film.

"I think they are going to regret it, and it is sort of satisfying to see corporate cowardice come with a price tag," said Eli Pariser, campaign organizer of Moveon.org, which has 115,000 members pledged to see the film.

"Bowling for Columbine," Moore's previous film, won a best documentary Oscar last year and took in more than $130 million in box office, DVD and television rights revenue, including $58 million in worldwide theater ticket sales.

James McGlynn, a portfolio manager of the Summit Everest fund who has been building a small stake of Disney shares in the last few months, said that represented a great return on investment in percentage terms but a small profit for a company like Disney.

"It is not as if they are giving away 'Harry Potter'," he said.

Family-oriented Disney ran the risk of a financial backfire if it annoyed customers or the government officials who set the rules that the media conglomerate plays, said investor Hal Vogel, who does not own Disney shares.

"The mandate of any large company, especially those with sensitive regulatory issues before the government, is to make sure they are an entertainment company and not a political propaganda company, and this is propaganda," he said.

Disney allowed Bob and Harvey Weinstein, the brothers who head its Miramax unit, to distribute the $6 million film on their own under a complicated deal which required them to give a cut equivalent to Disney's share, had it distributed the film, to a charity.

Disney on Friday did not say what that charity was.

Disney, which absorbed $100 million box office bomb "The Alamo" and still pleasantly surprised Wall Street earlier this year, is too big to see much effect from a documentary hit, analysts said. It would need to take in $20 million in net profit to add a penny per share to earnings.

Analyst Paul Kim of Tradition Asiel said a box office showing on the lines of Columbine would add only $10 million to $30 million to Disney.

Further, he saw Eisner's decision as just one move in his contentious contract negotiations with the Weinsteins, who funded "Fahrenheit" to Disney's unpleasant surprise.

Disney's strained relations with the Weinsteins has added momentum to criticism from dissident shareholders that its management, and Eisner in particular, have bungled ties with important creative talent, including its failure to renew a lucrative deal with Pixar Animation Studios Inc. (NasdaqNM:pIXR - News)

"There is a mix of Hollywood vanity, there is a mix of politics, and there is a mix of egos. From a financial standpoint, it is relatively meaningless," said Kim.

wdwmaniac

Nah I really think this is all out of proportion and that Farn 9/11 is jsut talk. It's not going blow the box office away. If you want to talk about lost movies that would have made us some cashs lets look at Miramax letting go the Lord of the Rings. Thats a cash cow. But it a political year and Disney under fire so all the newspaper are going to write how they lost out.

speck76

Original Poster
Movies dont have to make $100 million to be successful. Farhenheit 9/11 cost next to nothing to make ($6 million), and will not be marketed much ($10 million....it does not need to be, it has a lot of hype around it) so if it makes $30 million, it will be more profitable than a lot of recent movies. (Starsky and Hutch has made $88 million domestic...but it cost $85 million to produce and market)

wdwmaniac

I know how movies make money but I am saying this isn't going to be a the next sherk 2 or something. Alot people make it out as a huge loss for Disney. But looking at this year Disney's movie division could use a boost but lets see what King Arthur does.

careship

Personally, I would have been disgusted if they had distributed that movie. I would have lost alot of respect for the company. Not being political, I mean there shouldn't be Disney putting something of this controversial nature out. Moore's films may be good, I will never know, I will never watch any. I found what he did disrespectful to the viewer. His attitude and the way he carries himself, I couldn't be paid to watch anything he puts out there.

Shaman

Well I think Disney made the correct business descision (although I disagree with it)...they avoided some of the negatives that went along with the positives...take a look:

'Fahrenheit 9/11' Opponents Ask FEC to Investigate Ads

WASHINGTON (AP)--A conservative group asked federal election officials on Thursday to investigate whether television ads for director Michael Moore's anti-Bush documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" violate campaign finance law regulating when commercials may feature a presidential candidate.

The Federal Election Commission might take months to issue a ruling on the complaint, making it unlikely the commission would act in time to affect the film's ad campaign. The two-hour documentary, which depicts U.S. President George W. Bush as lazy and oblivious to warnings in summer 2001 that al-Qaida was poised to strike, opens nationwide Friday.

The group Citizens United contended that commercials for "Fahrenheit 9/11" fall under federal campaign finance law. Regulations prohibit the use of corporate money to air ads identifying a presidential candidate in the 30 days before his party's nominating convention and the 60 days before the Nov. 2 election.

Bush will be nominated by the GOP during its New York convention Aug. 30-Sept. 2. Citizens United argued that "Fahrenheit 9/11" ads that identify Bush and are paid for with corporate money should be banned after July 31.

Moore called the complaint "a blatant attempt on the part of a right-wing, Republican-sponsored group to stop people from seeing my movie." He said he would fight the complaint, and members of the Congressional Black Caucus appearing with him at a news conference near the Capitol promised to help.

"It's a violation of my First Amendment rights that I cannot advertise my movie. It's a movie," Moore said. "I have not publicly endorsed John Kerry. I am an independent, I am not a member of the Democratic Party."

An exemption to the law frees a wide array of media organizations from the ban on the use of corporate money for ads identifying federal candidates close to elections. Moore, an Oscar-winning documentary filmmaker, and the film might be covered by the media exemption.

Citizens United contends that "Fahrenheit 9/11" is propaganda and doesn't qualify for the media exemption. It's among conservative groups that have tried to mobilize the public against the film, arguing that Moore's portrayal of the Bush administration is inaccurate.

The group's complaint names Moore; companies involved in the film's marketing and distribution, including Lions Gate Entertainment Corp. (LGF), Cablevision Systems Corp. (CVC), Viacom International (VIA); and brothers Harvey and Bob Weinstein, executives at the film company Miramax who formed a separate company to find a way to distribute Moore's film.

The complaint also contends that because Lions Gate is foreign-owned, the ads are subject to a ban on the use of foreign money for ads identifying presidential candidates close to elections.

"Fahrenheit 9/11" won the top honor at last month's Cannes Film Festival. Moore and his distributors lost their appeal Tuesday to lower its rating from R to PG-13.

The FEC issued a decision Thursday on ads involving another film, but commissioners said it doesn't address Moore or ads promoting "Fahrenheit 9/11." In that ruling, the FEC told an Arizona man he couldn't use corporate money to run ads promoting his documentary film and identifying Bush and congressional candidates close to the election.

David Hardy, president of the Bill of Rights Educational Foundation in Tucson, Ariz., had asked the commission for its advice on whether he could use foundation money for the ads. Hardy didn't ask the commission whether his ads would qualify for the media exemption.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
The movie made $8.2 million yesterday, according to Box Office Mojo. More than White Chicks and Dodgeball did. It's production budget is already covered, and the marketing costs ($10 million) could be covered by tonight. Heck, by the end of this weekend, it could take the title of highest grossing documentary of all time (it is already #4 on the all-time list). This one surely isn't going to bomb. Could it break $60 million? I think it has a chance.

But the real question is: was it still a good idea for Disney to not release it?

wdwmaniac

Yes it still was a good idea for Disney not to release it. You have to look at teh long term affect. This movie proves there are many Americans that are in teh political world and follow up on things. It's not a good thing for a Company to take sides when you specialize in family entertainment. Thats why many people don't like kraft foods there parent Altria (Phillip Morris) sells cigs. and beer. Theres a company selling you mac and cheese. You have to look at the negitive affect it would have had on Disney. Hey your Democrats would probably have loved it but your Republicans wouldn't. And time syas America is split 50/50. So why alienate 50% of your buyers?

prberk

wdwmaniac said:
Yes it still was a good idea for Disney not to release it. You have to look at teh long term affect. This movie proves there are many Americans that are in teh political world and follow up on things. It's not a good thing for a Company to take sides when you specialize in family entertainment. Thats why many people don't like kraft foods there parent Altria (Phillip Morris) sells cigs. and beer. Theres a company selling you mac and cheese. You have to look at the negitive affect it would have had on Disney. Hey your Democrats would probably have loved it but your Republicans wouldn't. And time syas America is split 50/50. So why alienate 50% of your buyers?

Yep. Not only is Disney a family company with a family image, it owns ABC and ABC News also. Although all news has a perspective, this is propaganda and would hurt all the way around in the long run.

The so-called liberal news networks themselves, including ABC and Matt Luaer (sp?) on NBC's "Today" show have pointed out factual errors (even some completely refuted by the 9/11 commission); and the overall tone of the movie is that of anti-Bush propaganda. So, it would not be in the best place to have the news division perceived to be biased by the parent's support for this film.

But, overall, the business decision to stay away from polarizing propaganda, parts of which have been refuted, is strong most because it unncessarily alienates potentially half or more of the audience in a way that would impact other sales... overwhelmingly overtaking any profit that the film itself would earn.

That being said... I want to offer my opinion that this is one of those things that does not help at this time, no matter which side you are on. We are at war already, and the time for the decisions to be made about it are long past. We must work together to overcome the "insurgents" (terrorists who do the suicide missions) and make the country stable and protect the newfound freedoms (including civilized free speech) that the "insurgents" don't want them to have. I think that the release of this movie AT THIS TIME (one week prior to the handover) is just dangerous, and adding fuel to the fire that will get more people in harm's way than already are. So, for me, while I support Mr. Moore's right to make his movie, I think it is unconscionable to release it this week (maybe a year from now -- when it can have more perspective, and will be more of a documentary and less of a propaganda film with a political agenda, and less likely to be used by terrorists for their own propaganda). And for that reason, also, I am glad that Disney did not release it. And, by the way, I am NOT arguing for government censorship. I am arguing that Mr. Moore and the movie companies should police themselves and wait on the film.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom