disneys lost and found........

wiskband

Original Poster
I am wondering if anyone knows exactly how disneys lost and found works. My daughter (9) left her pocket book behind at MGM ( right outside star tours.) we realized it about 10 minutes after we left the area, went back but it was gone. A cast member approached us and told us to go to L&F periodicly or as we were leaving the park that day. We checked all day and finally when we left. and nothing. there we were told to call central lost and found and we also filled out a yellow card. I called a few more times and was told it was not found. I am a little surprised cause I am sure many of you have experienced losing something there and it was turned in. This was the case with my mother who left her bag behind with tickets alot of cash and credit cards. Also I left a big bag full of merchandise on a bus and sure enough someone handed it in and it was returned to me. I was so sure we were gonna get her bag back. She is 9 and although it was more or less just make up and pens etc. , my daughter thought it would be cool to take the room safe key with her which will now cost us $35.00. Either way, the last time I called (once we got home) I spoke with someone who only allowed me enough time to give a very breif discription and was told it was not found. Im thinking that they must have so many things there how could he have told me so quickly that it was not found. Which raises another good question.........What do they do with all the stuff that is found and never returned??????????????

VILLAINSRULE

My daughter left her purse in the game room at Coronado, with all her trip money, about $200 bucks, and was so distraught.....we checked the next day and someone turned it in! that still amazes me.....

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Yup... after 90 days, if it isn't claimed, what disney doesn't donate, they'll sell for dirt cheap to CM's

wiskband

Original Poster
Originally posted by mkt
Yup... after 90 days, if it isn't claimed, what disney doesn't donate, they'll sell for dirt cheap to CM's
anyone know how much merchandise is found unclaimed after 90 days? is it say a table full or more like a room full? just wondering....:)

MrPromey

Originally posted by wiskband
anyone know how much merchandise is found unclaimed after 90 days? is it say a table full or more like a room full? just wondering....:)
I would say more like a full room (or tent).

EpcoTim

They sell it? Thats the last thing i expected to hear, but cool none the less. Anyone ever grab a nice camera or anything?

PhotoDave219

I have heard stories from some CMs of things such as cameras being sold as low, low prices.

I still think its best to either leave all the expensive stuff behind in the room or stay physically attached to it. I try not to set down a camera or my bag or anything mainly because the stuff costs more then the whole trip did.

tigsmom

Once saw a believe or not type show about the Disney l&f.

The had beautiful cameras, video equip, etc. They also have false teeth, prosthetic legs, arms too! I can see forgeting a camera, but a leg or arm!

:hammer:

Disneyanna0521

Account Suspended
One time my dad lost his watch on Space Mountain. We went to the L&F, they said if they found it before we left (for home) they send it home ...they asked about the watch our address etc...the last day of our trip we went back and asked about it...they said it was already sent home(it was only a day or so) when we got home it was there nicely packaged

Timekeeper

"Keeping It Together"

Although I have not had any personal experiences with L&F,

Here are some tips:

Minimize what you bring into the park. There's (usually) no need to bring 5 different credit cards; just bring one or two. Also, for the constant traveler, "see ID" or photo i.d. bank cards (i.e. Bank of America) may be the way to go.

Label everything that belongs to you. Return address mailing labels, for example, could be placed on your camera, walkman, or any other personal item. Also, many valuable items (such as SLR cameras) have serial numbers on them. You may want to keep a record of all this information - which you should already have in case the items are stolen.

Travel with bags that can somehow be "attached" to you. Hipsacks and beltpacks are almost impossible to lose.

If using a backpack, you may want to place a small 3 digit combination lock on the clasps. This will prevent you from being a victim of a pick-pocket when in large crowds. This may also discourage a nosey peson from going through your back and taking the cash should it be left behind somehwere.

Attach a "leash" to your bag. Surfers and bodyboarders do this so that they don't lose their board, why not do it so that you don't lose your bag?

Attaching some form of name and contact info (updated with the hotel and room number that you're staying in, cell number, etc.) to your belongings is the best way to go. A CM is more likely to call and let you know where it is to be picked up than they are to package it and mail it to your address (which may not even be up to date.) After all, mailing something costs money, and this IS Disney we're talking about.

Tk

Mary Ellen

I lost a camera on Star Wars and it was returned that day.

My understanding about lost and found is that if an item is not claimed within a certain time period, the person that brought it to them get to keep it. I read this in the Unofficial Guide a few years ago.

mkt

Premium Member
Originally posted by Mary Ellen
My understanding about lost and found is that if an item is not claimed within a certain time period, the person that brought it to them get to keep it. I read this in the Unofficial Guide a few years ago.

they stopped this policy a few years ago after CM's began to abuse it (hiding things they found so they could claim them after 90 days)...

as far as cool stuff I've bought at property control. The good stuff is hard to find and rare to even get there... but about a year ago I bought a Nikon Coolpix 990 there for $75.... then I lost it.. lol. And so the cycle continues

careship

mkt......sorry but that was funny it was fated to stay lost apparantly....

My mom lost her prescription sunglasses on SPace Mountain and were returned to our room the following day.

My dad lost his glasses in Epcot somewhere and they were found after we left and mailed home to us.

We've never had a problem, but it's been years since we lost anything there. The way things are changing....it all depends on who finds things now. I've been amazed lately at the lack of I dunno morals that I have seen lately. I won't even go into why. It still ticks me off.

quadman

I had heard a rumor that guests could purchase 'found' strollers at the L&F cheaply ($ 10.00). Does any one know if this is true or not? If this is the case I would happily buy one at L&F, and promptly 'loose' just before leaving to come home?

Beats dragging one or two along for the kids on the plane, back and forth....

GenerationX

What is the most common item sold at the "tent"? My guess would be sunglasses. Everyone has them, they're inexpensive (and thus not worth making a special trip to the L&F to recover), and easily lost on rides. CMs?

Maria

I´ve been to Property Control too, and honestly, there is sooo much stuff, but by the time they get to be sold to cm´s, you have to search a lot for something real good and then hope that it works good. Some friends got cheap cameras there, but they ended up not working too good, I guess it´s just luck. I never bought anything there.

I lost a pair of Guess sunglasses and never found them again. In ´99, L&F started being Guest Relations´s responsability, so some procedures changed. As far as I remember, after the day you lost your stuff, the item was located at the park you lost, at GR I think... the next day it was sent to MK and the following one, to Central Lost and Found at TTC. They showed me drawers and drawers of sunglasses lost the day I lost mine. I was honest and didn´t take any of them, but I could have easily done it! None of them were mine... :(

While I worked in Guest Relations, we spotted a guest and his son who found a video camera near SE and one was going to "return" it so the other one could claim it later. We were aware of it and busted them. It´s a shame, as "Careship" said, that nowadays, recovering a lost item, depends on who finds it... :(

mkt

Premium Member
Originally posted by careship
mkt......sorry but that was funny it was fated to stay lost apparantly....

oh.. it's ok.. lol. I got more than my $75 worth of that camera. I'm saving up now for a new one, until then I have my 35mm and a negative scanner to hold me over...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom