Disney's Lone Ranger could lead to $150mil loss

Lisalyn

I know they were expecting certain weekend numbers and such and those fell drastically behind their goals....but I still think it is too early to compare it to John Carter (like is already being done on a yahoo article) or to call it a total flop. It was controversial to begin with and had a ton of competition this weekend. Depp has a HUGE overseas following and I think once it breaks loose there that they will make up the money that they fell short on here in the United States. Just my 2 cents :)

WDWDad13

Original Poster
Hope so. Some of the friends I know that have seen it actually said it was good and funny so maybe like with John carter it's lack of marketing and understanding of how good the movie might be. (John carter wasn't actually bad too)

Jo DeVil

I can't believe that so many people follow what the critics say. If I like the look of a film I will go and see it, if a critic slates it then I normally want to see it more.
We love John Carter and I have had to buy the books to find out what happens next!
Maybe if it had been advertised as "based on Edgar Rice Burrows Novels". Maybe calling it "John Carter" and not sticking with its original title "John Carter of Mars" would have had something to do with it, but they didn't want people to get confused with "John Carpenters Ghosts of Mars".
I am just sad there will be no more. Anyway back on topic, I will be going to see Lone Ranger when it is released here no matter what.

Prince-1

I know they were expecting certain weekend numbers and such and those fell drastically behind their goals....but I still think it is too early to compare it to John Carter (like is already being done on a yahoo article) or to call it a total flop. It was controversial to begin with and had a ton of competition this weekend. Depp has a HUGE overseas following and I think once it breaks loose there that they will make up the money that they fell short on here in the United States. Just my 2 cents :)

I liked the movie but this is a FLOP. Westerns do notoriously bad overseas as it an American genre and Depp wont help change that. Also movies like this need to do well on the opening weekend since they usually drop 50-65% in revenue heading to the 2nd weekend. Add the fact that it already has bad press, The LR is going to burn out fast.

Zman-ks

John Carter was just bad.
The Lone Ranger I liked but I can not see it being a blockbuster.
75.gif

Agreed....I really like The Lone Ranger but don't see it winning any awards.

Magenta Panther

I really think that having Depp dress up like that, with the dead bird on his head, was a mistake. It just looks too silly. I wonder if Lone Ranger fans looked at that and thought "Well, they're going to mess LR up, to heck with it" while non-fans thought "That looks asinine, and who cares about the Lone Ranger anyway?"

Powerline

Can't say I'm surprised. I saw it and enjoyed it but it was way too generic for Disney's standards. I felt like Depp wasn't the problem, it was Hammer's lackluster performance of a main character.

Dfan48

I watch the Lone Ranger and i should say it was a good movie and Just like 007 skyfall the movie was too long so I get sleepy but the storyline is great. and I think its not a flop movie just in the middle.

Uncle Lupe

I liked it. The movie starts out really strange but once it gets going it is a good movie. Like most movies now they can get a little long when trying to explain as much as possible to setup main characters.

I agree that when I saw early pictures of Depp with a bird on his head, ?? As the story progresses it becomes clear why that is part of the costume. See it with an open mind don't let someone else decide for you.

rufio

I was really surprised that I liked the Lone Ranger so much! I'd been holding onto a free ticket for a couple weeks just because the critic reviews were bad and I wasn't sure it was worth my time. But my brother came to visit and we decided to go (him for the 2nd time) and wow! Usually I find myself checking the time at least once or twice during a movie, but not so with this one. I was glued to the screen the whole time (even the slow parts). I agree that the bird on his head does have a point if you listen to the story. Go see it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom