Disney's Hollywood Studios vs Universal Studios Florida

Better park?

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
The two studios parks in Orlando.
Let's say that you have one single day in the Orlando area, and your only option is to do one of the Studios parks. If you choose Universal, you cannot visit Islands of Adventure, or if you choose DHS, you cannot visit any of the other Disney parks.

Which park is superior, more fulfilling, worth your money, etc. Better park?

Hollywood Studios: Disney World's Best Rides & Most Frustrating Park -  Disney Tourist Blog

Disney's Hollywood Studios | Guide to Rides, Shows & Dining

WDW 2020 Studios Sunset Boulevard at night 3 - AllEars.Net

or
Celebrate the Holidays at Universal Orlando - 2021 Insider's Guide | Orlando  Informer
Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley
newyork_carelli-700x457.jpg

Animaniac93-98

I'd say both parks are shells of their former selves. I think that's because what dates them has dated them really badly. More so than other theme parks.

Hollywood Studios is a more attractive park overall with better dining.

Universal Studios has more to do and still has a few things to educate you about the movie making process.

Diagon Alley is better than Galaxy's Edge, but RotR is better than Gringotts. Tower of Terror is also better than any ride at USF.

USF is the park most likely to improve in the near future IMO. I still don't see Disney changing much now that GE is open.

At the time of this post I'm picking DHS, even as a UOAP who isn't likely to visit it anytime soon.

Club Cooloholic

I'd say both parks are shells of their former selves. I think that's because what dates them has dated them really badly. More so than other theme parks.

Hollywood Studios is a more attractive park overall with better dining.

Universal Studios has more to do and still has a few things to educate you about the movie making process.

Diagon Alley is better than Galaxy's Edge, but RotR is better than Gringotts. Tower of Terror is also better than any ride at USF.

USF is the park most likely to improve in the near future IMO. I still don't see Disney changing much now that GE is open.

At the time of this post I'm picking DHS, even as a UOAP who isn't likely to visit it anytime soon.
I like a lot of this, but can't agree with the dated aspects. Both parks are pretty updated...yes Hollywood studios could really use a refresh on some of the shows and Mummy could maybe use a refresh on their preshow since Brendan Frasier obviously has changed a lot but I think they are both decent.
That said, USF is the clear winner. Diagon Alley is just so well done, you don't have to pay for a wand to have a great show done and their shows throughout the park are great, and the park has stuck to the theme much better than Hollywood Studios.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

I always find these type of questions weird lol for a Disney fan site. 😅 makes me wonder if it's a common phenomenon? Like do people go on a Ford truck fansite and ask if they like Toyota trucks better ??
Sorry it's late and sleep meds kicking in. 🤪 sort of like drunk texting

Really nice pictures
See I see this forum as a Disney information site first, fan site second. We are fans of WDW, but we also appreciate good theme parks and rides. It's more like being on a Ford site and saying, hey did you see what Tesla is putting out and appreciating that, and hopeful that Ford might make something with some of the aspects of the Tesla vehicle.
I like WDW resort overall more that Uni, but there are specific things about Uni I prefer, and that's ok. It also beats coming on here and expecting to just read "Gee wow, that Disney World is some swell amazing place" posts all the time.

Piebald

Uni holds a special place in my heart. Growing up we would always go to Magic Kingdom and Epcot then do Universal when family from overseas visited us. I agree with the poster who said both parks are a shell of former selves. I'm a huge SW fan so Hollywood would take the spot for my favorite but UO is a lot of fun as well. Easy to maneuver unless it's an insanely busy day and there are more attractions overall.

To me what separates both parks and really both resorts is food. The food at UO is really really bad in my opinion. It tastes like carnival food or just barely a step above. Disney for all its criticisms has way better food.

JIMINYCR

Ive got to vote DHS. I love Tot and the SW land. I've always enjoyed the feel of the park and the connection to the past... even though a lot has changed , theres still enough that brings a nostalgic feel to me. It might be different for me if I was a HP fan.

ppete1975

1639427067416.png

Universal is prob a much better park.. but... if I it was a I could never visit the other park in my lifetime, I would have to go hollywood studios due to star wars and muppets... also mickey and minnie and I smile when i see echo lake.

JoeCamel

Uni holds a special place in my heart. Growing up we would always go to Magic Kingdom and Epcot then do Universal when family from overseas visited us. I agree with the poster who said both parks are a shell of former selves. I'm a huge SW fan so Hollywood would take the spot for my favorite but UO is a lot of fun as well. Easy to maneuver unless it's an insanely busy day and there are more attractions overall.

To me what separates both parks and really both resorts is food. The food at UO is really really bad in my opinion. It tastes like carnival food or just barely a step above. Disney for all its criticisms has way better food.
I don't know where you're eating at universal but you're eating in the wrong place

Last edited:

Piebald

I don't know where you're eating at universal but you're eating in the wrong place
I've eaten at several places and they're all terrible. The parks in particular are bad but even Citywalk is bad. Their restaurants are nothing to write home about and the only decent place is Red Oven pizza.

JoeCamel

I've eaten at several places and they're all terrible. The parks in particular are bad but even Citywalk is bad. Their restaurants are nothing to write home about and the only decent place is Red Oven pizza.
OK, I don't know what to say if you think Vivo, Mythos, Toothsome, Palm and the kitchen are bad. I agree you don't eat counter service in Universal but that is true of parks everywhere for me. In the parks I enjoy Finn's and have never had a bad meal at Confisco but I hear reports there, in park Mythos is my go to and the beef medallions are wonderful with first class service.

Piebald

OK, I don't know what to say if you think Vivo, Mythos, Toothsome, Palm and the kitchen are bad. I agree you don't eat counter service in Universal but that is true of parks everywhere for me. In the parks I enjoy Finn's and have never had a bad meal at Confisco but I hear reports there, in park Mythos is my go to and the beef medallions are wonderful with first class service.
I think that's where confusion lies. I'm talking overall not exclusively sitdown. Yes mythos is good but so IMO Finns is just mediocre. If I go to Universal I rarely plan on eating there. Big picture the food is a big letdown. Some nice places sprinkled in for an entire resort is disappointing. Toothsome, Antojitos, Cowfish, the Italian place....all meh. Disney has plenty of meh but they have some real good stuff too.

Club Cooloholic

Cowfish is great, Margaritaville is fun, and in Uni Studios for quick service Leaky Cauldron is great and there is a really good but slow crepe stand. I like Bumblebee Man's taco truck too.

OG Runner

Overall I do like Disney Studios a little more, only because I like Star Wars a little more than Harry Potter.
The food in both parks is actually comparable. My one problem is for restaurants like Margaritaville & Toothsome
you need to leave the park. To included them in the discussion is the same as saying the restaurants at Disney
Springs are a reason to like Disney Studios dining more. (which would be wrong!)

jpinkc

I will be contrary here and say UO, I loved GE but for my family Diagonalley beats GE. Ride wise its a hard call with RotR now. But for overall atmosphere I would say UO. Uni has kept Witches and Wizards out and about and the live performances during the day from what I am told. Didnt hit UO this trip as we did not have time.

DfromATX

I love Disney with all my heart, but I am not a Star Wars fan and HS is my least favorite park, so I'm one who voted for Universal. In fact, we are going in January and decided to skip it (we were there last February and got to see all the new stuff anyway), plus we know it'll be the most crowded.

IanDLBZF

USF was much better in the 1990s and early 2000s to be honest. Nowadays it's nothing short of a bunch of boring screen rides, sans Hogsmeade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom