Disney's Hollywood Studios to possibly get a major revamp

TheMrRamonlle

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Back in the days when Michael Eisner proposed the idea of Disney's Hollywood Studios (originally Disney-MGM Studios) and opened it to the public in 1989, it resembled an actual studio backlot, though a bit like Universal Studios Hollywood (with the Studios Tram Tour in it).

Over the years, as the parks continued to evolve, DHS so far got Toy Story Land, Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy, etc. But I don't think that's enough...But I was thinking maybe the park could take inspiration from Walt Disney Studios Park in Paris and to make several attractions...you know, character-themed.

Now, I decided to take out the Animation Courtyard and replace it with Toon Backlot as well as replace old attractions (but move the Frozen Sing-Along Show to EPCOT) with new ones.

List of areas

Bold = New attraction/shop/restaurant
Bold and Colored (based on themed land) = updated version of the attraction/shop/food restaurant

Hollywood Boulevard

Attractions
  • Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway
Shops
  • Adrian and Edith's Head to Toe Costume Shop
  • Celebrity 5 & 10
  • Classic Car Memorabilia
  • Crossroads of the World
  • Great Movie Finds
  • Keystone Clothiers
  • Mickey's of Hollywood
  • Movieland Memorabilia
  • Oscar's Superstation
  • Sid Cahuenga's One of a Kind
  • Studio Prop Co.
  • Studio Prop Shop
  • Studio Showcase
  • Superstar Shop
  • Tailor to the Stars
  • The Darkroom
Food services
  • The Hollywood Brown Derby
  • The Trolley Car Cafe

Echo Lake

Once again, I decided to move For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Celebration to EPCOT replacing Frozen Ever After which could move to the Magic Kingdom for that park's expansion if it were to have a Frozen-themed land and replaced it with another stage show, Mickey's Big Band Hits: Disneyland Fun (an American version of Tokyo DisneySea's Big Band Beat or Mickey's Christmas Big Band from Walt Disney Studios Park Paris, so all three continents can each have their own versions).

Attractions

• Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye (replacing the Indiana Jones Stunt Show, but as long as the franchise is still here)
  • Mickey Shorts Theater featuring "Vacation Fun"
  • Mickey's Big Band Hits: Disneyland Fun
This stage show, replacing For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Celebration, is the American version of Tokyo DisneySea's Big Band Beat (also Mickey's Christmas Big Band from Paris) which adds songs from both Disney's Sing Along Songs videos, Disneyland Fun and Let's Go to Disneyland Paris. Inspired from the defunct Disney Mania castle show (later moved to Tomorrowland) and the latest incarnation of TDS's show renamed "Big Band Beat - A Special Treat", it is hosted by of course, Mickey and Minnie Mouse, also joined by Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Stitch, Pluto, Donald and Daisy Duck, Goofy, Baloo (from TaleSpin), Chip and Dale (as Rescue Rangers), Scrooge McDuck, and Clarabelle Cow.

The singers and dancers are accompanied by other characters such as Snow White, Mary Poppins, Bert, the Penguin Waiters, Peter Pan, Huey, Dewey, Louie, Genie, King Louie (from TaleSpin), Timon, Launchpad McQuack, Woody, Bo Peep, Buzz Lightyear, Jessie, Tiana, Louis, Alice, The White Rabbit, The Mad Hatter, Winnie the Pooh, Eeyore, Tigger, Cinderella, Aurora, Pinocchio, Aladdin and Jasmine (as a showgirl), Ariel (as a showgirl), Rapunzel, Anna and Elsa (both as showgirls), Olaf, Merida, and Moana and the villains Captain Hook, Cruella De Vil, Gaston, and Don Karnage.

The screen on the back of the stage shows clips from Disneyland Fun, Let's Go to Disneyland Paris, and Campout at Walt Disney World.
In the Christmas version, it shows clips from the 1990 and 1991 Walt Disney World Christmas parades (at which point were used for Disney's The Twelve Days of Christmas) and later renditions up to the present day. In addition, Goofy dresses up as Santa Claus like the other versions.

Musical numbers include:

• "It Don't Mean a Thing" / "Let's Go" (Mickey's Fun Songs Theme") (mashup)
  • "Whistle While You Work"
  • "Step In Time"
  • "I'm Walking Right Down the Middle of Main Street U.S.A."
  • "Following the Leader"/"Friend Like Me"/"Friends For Life"/"Hakuna Matata"
  • "Turkey in the Straw"
  • "Talent Round Up"
  • "Jumpin' Jive"
  • "Digga Digga Doo"/"Dig a Little Deeper"/"Jeepers Creepers"/"Mountain Greenery"
  • "How Do You Do and Shake Hands"/"The Unbirthday Song"
  • "Rumbly in My Tumbly"/"The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers"
  • Fantasyland Medley: "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"/"Once Upon a Dream"/"I've Got No Strings"/"Kiss the Girl"/"Be Our Guest"/"A Whole New World"/"Live Your Story"/"For the First Time in Forever"/"How Far I'll Go"/"It's a Small World"
  • "Makin' Memories"
  • "Grim Grinning Ghosts"
  • "Remember the Magic" (parade song)
  • "Here Comes Santa Claus"/"Have a Holly Jolly Christmas"/"Jingle Bells" (Christmas version)
  • "The Twelve Days of Christmas" (Christmas version)
  • "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" (Christmas version)
  • "When You Wish Upon a Star"/"Sing, Sing, Sing" (mashup)
  • Curtain Call: "When Your Heart Makes a Wish" (Tokyo DisneySea's 15th Anniversary song)

Shops

• Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost

Food services

• Dinosaur Gertie's Ice Cream of Extinction
  • Dockside Diner
  • Oasis Canteen

Muppet Studios

A Muppet retheme of Grand Avenue.
Attractions
  • Muppet Vision*3D - Come on, I know I really enjoyed that very much but I think it needs a major revamp with more Muppet characters and newly improved technology, even from Bunsen and Beaker's inventions in Muppet Labs.
  • The Great Gonzo's Cannon Coaster
  • The Great Muppet Movie Ride - A revived version of the project that was scrapped/cancelled when Jim Henson passed away in 1990.
Shops
  • The Muppet Store
  • Gonzo's Carnival Wagon
Food services
  • PizzeRizzo (updated with rats delivering pizzas via "train track" system from the original scrapped concept "The Great Gonzo's Pandemonium Pizza Parlor")
  • The Swedish Chef's Kitchen

Toy Story Land

Attractions

• Toy Story Mania!
  • Slinky Dog Dash
  • Alien Swirling Saucers

Shops

• Al's Toy Barn

Food Services

• Woody's Lunch Box
  • Roundup Rodeo BBQ Restaurant

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge

Attractions

• Star Tours: The Adventures Continue - It would make more sense if this ride would move to this area, likely to make this park more organized.
  • Millenium Falcon: Sumggler's Run
  • Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

Shops

• Dok Ondar's Den of Anquities
  • Savi's Workshop
  • Toydarian Toyshop
  • Mubo's Droid Depot
  • Bina's Creature Stall
  • First Order Cargo
  • Resistance Supply
  • Black Spire Outfitters
  • The Jewels of Bith

Food services

• Oga's Cantina
  • Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo
  • Ronto Roasters
  • Milk Stand
  • Kat Saka's Kettle

Toon Backlot (NEW!)

This area is very similar to Toontown in California and Tokyo and Toon Studio at Walt Disney Studios Park in Paris. Here, Voyage of the Little Mermaid (because another show, King Triton's Concert from Tokyo DisneySea's Mermaid Lagoon, will appear in place of Ariel's Undersea Adventure at The Magic Kingdom) and Star Wars Launch Bay are gone for good. Centered in the area is a fountain with a statue of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit on it.

Attractions

• Animation Academy - Too bad they shut it down for good. But seriously, if it were to return, new animators will give guests chances to draw their favorite Disney and Pixar characters, including the ones from the Disney Afternoon (such as Scrooge McDuck, Launchpad McQuack, Webby, Darkwing Duck, Baloo and King Louie in their TaleSpin renditions, Don Karnage, and Chip and Dale as Rescue Rangers).
  • Toon Backlot Plaza Locations - a meet and greet area where guests greet characters from various Disney films and franchises such as Mickey and Friends, Snow White, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmatians, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Winnie the Pooh, Pocahontas, Hercules, Mulan, The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Frozen, Moana, Raya and the Last Dragon, and TV shows such as TaleSpin, DuckTales, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, Kim Possible, Phineas and Ferb, etc.
  • Baloo's Sky School - A wild mouse coaster-styled ride similar to Goofy's Sky School at Disney's California Adventure but a lot larger and more advanced, and the coasters are on a single rail. Here, Baloo, with the aid of Rebecca Cunningham, urges guests to fly in small airplane-shaped coasters that take off and corkscrew. Rebecca however rants on Baloo's playful compliments and the airplanes moving about throughout the ride.
  • Darkwing Duck's St. Canard Crisis - A dark ride similar to Men in Black Alien Attack at Universal Studios Florida where you help Darkwing, Gosalyn, and Morgana save St. Canard.
  • Oswald's Troubled Trolley - a simulator ride inspired from the scrapped Roger Rabbit ride Toontown Trolley. Oswald takes guests from a black-and-white zone to a colorful world where he must rescue Ortensia from The Mad Doctor. This serves as a nod to Oswald's screen debut.

Shops

• Gag Factory

Food services

• Pluto's Doghouse
  • Huey, Dewey, and Louie's Good Time Cafe
  • Clarabelle's Frozen Yogurt

Sunset Boulevard

As the name of the park suggests, the Hollywood Hills will replace the Theater of Stars featuring Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage for good.

Attractions

Shops

• Beverly Sunset Sweet Spells
  • Fantasmic! Store
  • That's a Wrap! Gifts
  • Rock 'n' Roll Gear
  • Rock Around the Shop
  • Sunset Club Couture
  • Sunset Ranch
  • Tower Hotel Gifts

Food services

• Fairfax Fare
  • Hollywood Scoops
  • Starring Rolls Cafe
  • Sunset Ranch Market

Entertainment

• Disney's All-Star Movie Motorcade (daytime parade) - A revival of Disney Stars and Motor Cars with cars, vans, and buses detailed even more like parade floats.
Now, I left most of the stores and food services the same because I couldn't think how I can make them authentically Disney film/TV show/character-themed. But let me know in the comments below and kindly be sure to check on the update of Fantasmic too! Thanks!

Last edited:

MickeyMouse10

I would love for Studios to get an Indy ride. "The Epic Stunt show" is good, but it has grown stale and has been around for way too long. I saw it when I was little and I'm now an old man (42 next month).

Plus it takes up a lot of real estate, that could be used to split up crowds more. I wouldn't be opposed to a whole "Indy section" or "Original Star Wars section" being put in this spot (like was originally planned). Backlot Express could be easily rethemed to a warehouse with artifacts or a even Watto's Junkyard.

Miru

Great work with this! I love what you managed to revise and keep. Temple of the Forbidden Eye is for sure a keeper. I do however feel like this has room for further expansion; a Muppet coaster/dark ride would be neat to compliment the rest of their area, a Kingdom Hearts ride would be an awesome replacement for the original place of Star Tours, and would also provide the first video game representation in DHS, and maybe Humphrey Bear could get representation?

TheMrRamonlle

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Great work with this! I love what you managed to revise and keep. Temple of the Forbidden Eye is for sure a keeper. I do however feel like this has room for further expansion; a Muppet coaster/dark ride would be neat to compliment the rest of their area, a Kingdom Hearts ride would be an awesome replacement for the original place of Star Tours, and would also provide the first video game representation in DHS, and maybe Humphrey Bear could get representation?
That's pretty cool. I especially like the TaleSpin attraction idea you did. Oh, I also decided to put TaleSpin in my WDW's Fantasmic revamp idea. You can check the link here:

MickeyMouse10

I think that Muppet Studios could be vastly better than it is currently. What I would do is the following.

• The Great Muppet Movie Ride
  • Muppetvision 3D (new version)
  • Miss Piggy's Ristorante Italiano (with drawings of famous Muppets)
  • Rowlf’s Tavern (with animatronics of Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem)

MickeyMouse10

I love the idea of putting in a Western Town (even if it's cutouts) and a Big Al's. It would be a great way to enter the land with Woody in his territory. The town would be a lot more appealing looking than blank buildings, plus TSL needs it's own store.

Then you end the land with his buddy Buzz and his ride. Which would look good with a new Pizza Planet beside it. Like a glove.

Last edited:

TheMrRamonlle

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I think that Muppet Studios could be vastly better than it is currently. What I would do is the following.

• The Great Muppet Movie Ride
  • Muppetvision 3D (new version)
  • Miss Piggy's Ristorante Italiano (with drawings of famous Muppets)
  • Rowlf’s Tavern (with animatronics of Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem)
That's cool. You know, I have decided to put the scrapped Muppet Movie Ride (as of now) as well as the Gonzo cannon coaster to the Muppet Studios area.

TheMrRamonlle

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
So yeah, I just thought of reviving the Great Muppet Movie Ride as well as adding the Gonzo Cannon Coaster to the Muppet Studios area to bring in more Disney Muppet movie magic to fans.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I think scrapped Maroon Studios aka Roger Rabbit's Hollywood could perfectly fit into Sunset Blvd if Rock N' Roller Coaster is not exist in different universe. There will be awesome Roger Rabbit attractions & shops:
Toontown Transit (simulator)
RollerCoaster Rabbit
Baby Herman's Runaway Baby Buggy Ride
Benny the Cab ride
Toontown Tower Hotel (TOT parody)
ACME Warehouse
The Ink & Paint Club
Terminal Bar & Grill
Eddie Valiant's Office

MickeyMouse10

That's cool. You know, I have decided to put the scrapped Muppet Movie Ride (as of now) as well as the Gonzo cannon coaster to the Muppet Studios area.

Alright, cool man. I'd love to see it in the Muppet Studios area.

More options are definitely needed for this section (in the current non forum version). People usually just walk by it for Galaxy's Edge.

Last edited:

wazowski_216

the idea for Gonzo coaster is great!

and i have an idea for a land that you could put here

Monsters Inc. could include Ride and Go Seek, A Door Chase RC and more!

mharrington

I have a few questions about this Toon area...

First of all, shouldn't Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway be incorporated into the Toon area somehow, just as it's being added to Disneyland's Toontown? Second, I think the Animation Academy is going into the new Play pavilion at Epcot. Thirdly, as cool as some of those Disney Afternoon-based attractions are, does anyone really remember "TaleSpin", "Darkwing Duck" or the like? Granted, some of the characters have shown up on the newer "DuckTales", but now I think it too has come to an end. Fourthly, it sounds like the Oswald ride is based on "Epic Mickey". Again, as cool as the game series was, I would try and minimize the connection as, unfortunately, the series came to an end. I don't know the details (or any details at all), but rumor has it that there's a new Oswald series coming to Disney Plus. Maybe you could base the ride around that? Finally, I would like to try and get away from the backlot theme of the land. I'm envisioning huge soundstages where the rides are being "filmed".

MickeyMouse10

I have a few questions about this Toon area...

Thirdly, as cool as some of those Disney Afternoon-based attractions are, does anyone really remember "TaleSpin", "Darkwing Duck" or the like? Granted, some of the characters have shown up on the newer "DuckTales", but now I think it too has come to an end.

I was thinking the same thing, but it is actually a pretty genius idea.

Because it would make these characters relevant again. And also separate it from the other parks, which is something Disney has to do. I love Magic Kingdom, but we don't want to have 4 Magic Kingdoms.

Sure make the parks each better than they once were. But there still has to be a balance of IP and theming that has to still be met. Hollywood I'm cool with, but Epcot has gone too much the other way.

mharrington

I was thinking the same thing, but it is actually a pretty genius idea.

Because it would make these characters relevant again. And also separate it from the other parks, which is something Disney has to do. I love Magic Kingdom, but we don't want to have 4 Magic Kingdoms.

Sure make the parks each better than they once were. But there still has to be a balance of IP and theming that has to still be met. Hollywood I'm cool with, but Epcot has gone too much the other way.
What about Animal Kingdom?

And I'm concerned that people may not recognize who these characters are. As David Koenig put it, "The subject matter must endure or else be reconfigured to appeal to current audiences." I'm concerned that the Disney Afternoon shows haven't really endured, save for their brief appearances on the newer "DuckTales", which I think they included as a nostalgia trip for people exposed to/raised on these shows, who are probably the only ones familiar with them. I fear that modern kids (those who did not see them initially) may not understand who they are. While a lot of these shows can be found on Disney Plus, not everyone gets them.

And what are your thoughts about my suggestion to make Runaway Railway part of this new area somehow? I feel that any Toon land here can't really exist without this ride. However, it can't be moved; it has to stay in the Chinese Theater. The problem with incorporating the Chinese Theater into the area that the Animation Courtyard is in is that that land would stick out at a rather funny angle on the map. Cinderella Castle works because it's the entrance to Fantasyland, which is behind it. But the Animation Courtyard is located off to the side, like so (the area in red incorporates both the Theater and the Courtyard):
map-of-studios-with-chinese-theater-incorporated-into-animation-courtyard-jpg.418264

MickeyMouse10

What about Animal Kingdom?

And I'm concerned that people may not recognize who these characters are. As David Koenig put it, "The subject matter must endure or else be reconfigured to appeal to current audiences." I'm concerned that the Disney Afternoon shows haven't really endured, save for their brief appearances on the newer "DuckTales", which I think they included as a nostalgia trip for people exposed to/raised on these shows, who are probably the only ones familiar with them. I fear that modern kids (those who did not see them initially) may not understand who they are. While a lot of these shows can be found on Disney Plus, not everyone gets them.

And what are your thoughts about my suggestion to make Runaway Railway part of this new area somehow? I feel that any Toon land here can't really exist without this ride. However, it can't be moved; it has to stay in the Chinese Theater. The problem with incorporating the Chinese Theater into the area that the Animation Courtyard is in is that that land would stick out at a rather funny angle on the map. Cinderella Castle works because it's the entrance to Fantasyland, which is behind it. But the Animation Courtyard is located off to the side, like so (the area in red incorporates both the Theater and the Courtyard):
map-of-studios-with-chinese-theater-incorporated-into-animation-courtyard-jpg.418264

I think some people have a problem with them being at Animal. Because they are Anthropomorphic (which is they act like humans). This group sees Animal Kingdom as a park where animals should act like animals.

As for Hollywood, I think Mickey should take over the Echo Lake area. To me, It feels more like a natural fit because of the new Mickey shorts attraction. But Mickey Avenue does have it's advantages as well. Being that it has the Magic of Animation building and One Man's Dream.

mharrington

I think some people have a problem with them being at Animal. Because they are Anthropomorphic (which is they act like humans). This group sees Animal Kingdom as a park where animals should act like animals.

I believe that a land themed to Zootopia may or may not be coming to the Animal Kingdom in the future.

As for Hollywood, I think Mickey should take over the Echo Lake area. To me, It feels more like a natural fit because of the new Mickey shorts attraction. But Mickey Avenue does have it's advantages as well. Being that it has the Magic of Animation building and One Man's Dream.

I've always thought that the Mickey shorts theater was a temporary thing. The reason I proposed the Animation Courtyard area is because they already have stuff devoted to animation there, and more importantly, Disneyland's Toontown is getting the ride as well. The problem, though, is that Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway should be incorporated into this area, but it cannot be removed from the Chinese Theater. What's more, the Magic of Disney Animation thing is long gone, having been replaced by Star Wars Launch Bay, which is both out of place and redundant.

Unlike a lot of people here, I try to be very realistic with what I do and go beyond merely blue sky. That means I try to fit my ideas to the area they're in, rather than change the areas to fit my ideas. I'm finicky that way.

MickeyMouse10

maxresdefault.jpg

showtime.png

Hollywood Studios was the first Disney park I ever visited. So the first Disney ride I’ve ever been on (“The Great Movie Ride”) will always hold a special place in my heart. I miss the old studio feel, but do think that it needed to be changed, especially in the back of the joint. So far they’ve done a great job with the retheme.

…. But there is still even more work that needs to be done.

pixar-movies-disney-plus.jpeg

monsters-at-work.png
lms-googly-bear.png

First up on the list is the section to the right in Studios. This area was formerly sunset boulevard and some unused park area behind sunset ranch. But now it will be Hollywood's version of Fantasyland. With Pixar characters, attractions and restaurants galore.

Playset-1.0-SuperMax_Prison.png

Jason_Lee_is_the_voice_of_Syndrome_in_The_Incredibles_Wallpaper_3_800.jpg
Underminer_I2.png
Bomb_Voyage.png

The Incredibles SuperMax Prison
----- (drop ride, similar to tower of terror)
----- (the headline attraction for this section. edna mode shows guests the many villains that the incredibles have capture. each one as sinister as the last. everything is going to plan until the villains decide to escape. then it's upto mr incredible and his family to save the day)

cars.jpg

Cars Coaster
----- (rollercoaster, similar to rock n rollercoaster)
----- (lightning mcqueen has to train for the next big race. so rather than going around the track he decides to go for a drive through radiator springs. along the way you see the other residents of this usually quiet town)

2l7vw0fmgvn41.jpg

Monsters Inc Door Chase
----- (rail suspended dark ride, similar to peter pan)
----- (in this adventure you must escape the monster world with boo undetected. the problem is not everyone that works at facility wants to lend a helping hand)

inside-out-personality-islands-feature-1600x900-c-default.jpg

Inside Out
----- (dark ride, similar to journey into imagination and secret lives of pets)
----- (rather than replace figment with inside out, might well put it here. somewhere it feels more at home)

R.a6132118133f55dd0b60df1c53f8c216

Up
----- (balloon ride, similar to inside out whirlwind)

60cb20ca23393a00188e3af9

Turning Red
----- (dark ride, similar to winnie the pooh)

Last edited:

Goofy Ninja

"The Incredibles" ride sounds... well incredible, but I’d really miss the twilight zone theming. It personifies what Hollywood Studios has been.

It would surely be another step in retheming the whole park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom