Disney's Gigantic!

Matt_Black

True. But as seen with The Snow Queen and Frozen if this project returns it won't be as Gigantic.

Yes, but let's not pretend it's going to be radically different. Odds are, if it does go back in the pipeline, it will be about a normal sized person meeting a giant-sized person. It's not going to warp into a movie about a street-smart, disco dancing private eye who battles jive turkey vampires in a fantasy version of the 1970s. (Which, admittedly, sounds AWESOME and Disney should totally do that eventually.)

Rich T

Didn't see this coming, and I feel bad for all the creative people who worked so hard on it. I gotta say, though, this is one Disney animated film I wasn't looking forward to. Jack and the Beanstalk is an amazing and classic tale as is; why change it up so much that it's nearly unrecognizable?

What they should do is combine the best elements of the Mickey Mouse, Gene Kelly and Abbott & Costello versions-- We'd have the ultimate cinematic Jack and the Beanstalk! :D

KeithVH

Yes, but let's not pretend it's going to be radically different. Odds are, if it does go back in the pipeline, it will be about a normal sized person meeting a giant-sized person. It's not going to warp into a movie about a street-smart, disco dancing private eye who battles jive turkey vampires in a fantasy version of the 1970s. (Which, admittedly, sounds AWESOME and Disney should totally do that eventually.)

I would pay good money to see jive turkey vampires . . .

Ghost93

Did we ever learn what specific story problems they were having that led to Gigantic's cancellation? Disney Animation could really use a hit right now and I wonder if Gigantic or a version of Jack and the Beanstalk could ever be revisited.

brb1006

Did we ever learn what specific story problems they were having that led to Gigantic's cancellation? Disney Animation could really use a hit right now and I wonder if Gigantic or a version of Jack and the Beanstalk could ever be revisited.
Apparently the film's crew had difficulty writing an interesting story/plot focused between a gigantic young girl and a small grown man. One recent episode of the Fine Tooning Podcast with Jim Hill and Drew Taylor suggested that it might also have to do with the difficulty on animating a gigantic human and a smaller sized adult when discussing Netflix's The Sea Beast.

KeithVH

I am still waiting on my jive turkey vampire film . . . .

TsWade2

I blame that stupid self centered freak, John Lasseter for cancelling it! I'm sorry, but he is such a loser! :mad: He makes great films, but he's a loser!

BrianLo

Sometimes these things just don't come together well and I applaud them for figuring that out.

As fans we hear a good concept, but that does not always equal a compelling film. For example, the "what if" concept for the Good Dinosaur was frankly excellent. But a good idea does not make a good film.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Guess we'll have to be stick with Stephen Sondheim as the musical take on Jack and the Beanstock until Disney inevitably cracks the story. Remember, it took 4 decades to get Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast and close to 7 for Frozen.

In reality Disney already cracked the Jack and the Beanstock story with Mickey and the Beanstock in 1947. So for what its worth if Gigantic never is revived at least Mickey and the Beanstock already exists.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom