Disney's FY20 Q3 Earnings (8/4/20)

AEfx

Meh.
I’d gladly pay $50 at the theater with popcorn etc for the single viewing.

I will not spend $35.99 to watch this movie in my living room over and over.

You are a diminishing minority in that crowd.

Many people are just over theaters. One of the last office conversations I remember having before we all started working from home was about how we just wished the VOD thing would catch on. We would happily pay $20 to watch the newest movie at home on a Friday night rather than deal with theaters. And that’s $20 to rent for 24 hours.

And now post-covid? A large swath of people are not going to consider stepping foot in a movie theater for years, at least.

It may not be for you, but Universal just made a bundle renting Trolls for 24 hours for $20/pop. This is standard price for new VOD titles to rent now, and they are doing very well.

As I said above, if Disney in fact allows you to “own” it, as in maintain access to it, $30 is not outrageous at all in the digital market place. Not for a big budget first run film.

Also, I have not seen it here but reported elsewhere - they said this would NOT require a Disney+ subscription. Follow up questions have been sent on all of these technicalities, but it does seem like Disney is just using the Disney+ platform to self distribute, and a subscription indeed may not be required.

Now, it may not be for you - and it’s not for me, I won’t be buying it - but I honestly think when all is said and done, this is going to be very popular, in spite of the “internet angry” folks who just don’t understand the digital marketplace.

Dan Deesnee

Predictable stock market price reaction (nothing extreme up / down).

Disney knows what they are doing, financially, etc. They will be just fine. Give it 2 years and all of this is in the rear view mirror and the company is healthier than pre-covid (from a personnel and leadership perspective).

rk03221

So are all the plans for new attractions and such on hold at wdw? Will there be anything for the 50th other than merch?

Franklin47disneyguy

Predictable stock market price reaction (nothing extreme up / down).

Disney knows what they are doing, financially, etc. They will be just fine. Give it 2 years and all of this is in the rear view mirror and the company is healthier than pre-covid (from a personnel and leadership perspective).

Well they can have a second thought on a lot park projects.

Sir_Cliff

Who's the they you're referring to?

New Zealand's theaters are open, so, Mulan should be released to theaters there.

Anyone can fly to New Zealand, do a two week quarantine in a hotel, and then go see it! Easy peasy.
I think you already have to be a NZ citizen, permanent resident, or visa holder don't you?

I guess the person in question could be a Kiwi or maybe the NZ government will grant special permission on the basis of wanting to see Mulan on the big screen.

Dan Deesnee

Well they can have a second thought on a lot park projects.

And they most definitely have been analyzing every project they have going and had planned (unannounced) to see if it should move forward, be modified, or canned.

Again, you don't become that large without knowing what you are doing. You might not like the leadership but they employ an army of analysts and financial experts, etc. to help with situations like the one they are in.

Anyone who thinks Disney is doomed or will be in HORRIBLE SHAPE FOR YEARS TO COME is just being dramatic but hey, that is their opinion. From a financial and business perspective, they'll bounce back pretty quick.

Ojo4

All the doom and gloom insiders of late really not looking good right now. Disney is not on the verge of bankruptcy, they're not going to seriously entertain selling off the China parks to stay above water, this company is fine and all the insiders are vastly exaggerating things as evidenced by todays earnings.

rowrbazzle

It means they have to find some way to make money off the film and selling people tickets to see it in theatres isn't particularly viable right now. I'm sure Disney would prefer to give in a normal release in theatres too, but we are where we are.

I figured they'd just wait until next summer to release it. Obviously there's no way of knowing what things will be like next summer, but surely they'll be better than they are right now. Right?

Dan Deesnee

Drunken child at work again. Company shows huge losses in parks with no control over fixing the root cause. Stock goes up 5% after hours. :hilarious:

No control over fixing the root cause? What is the root cause? Will that root cause be around in a year, or two? The markets look ahead. This is the worst quarter that disney is likely to have this year. It was also nowhere near as bad as the doom and gloom insiders said it would be. So think about it. Q2 will be the worst, and it wasn't as bad as most though. Q3 will very likely be a lot better, Q4 even better than Q3, you get the idea.

No question at all as to why the stock is up. It should be.

Disney Analyst

You are a diminishing minority in that crowd.

Many people are just over theaters. One of the last office conversations I remember having before we all started working from home was about how we just wished the VOD thing would catch on. We would happily pay $20 to watch the newest movie at home on a Friday night rather than deal with theaters. And that’s $20 to rent for 24 hours.

And now post-covid? A large swath of people are not going to consider stepping foot in a movie theater for years, at least.

It may not be for you, but Universal just made a bundle renting Trolls for 24 hours for $20/pop. This is standard price for new VOD titles to rent now, and they are doing very well.

As I said above, if Disney in fact allows you to “own” it, as in maintain access to it, $30 is not outrageous at all in the digital market place. Not for a big budget first run film.

Also, I have not seen it here but reported elsewhere - they said this would NOT require a Disney+ subscription. Follow up questions have been sent on all of these technicalities, but it does seem like Disney is just using the Disney+ platform to self distribute, and a subscription indeed may not be required.

Now, it may not be for you - and it’s not for me, I won’t be buying it - but I honestly think when all is said and done, this is going to be very popular, in spite of the “internet angry” folks who just don’t understand the digital marketplace.

On the money here. This post is 🔥🔥

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom