Disney's Down Under Resort

WeirdOne

Original Poster
Hey guys,

I haven't been around in years, but those years ago, I started a Disney Resort in Australia (way back in 2004), set to open in 2013. Well, then college life and just general stuff happened and I lost interest in Disney and life progressed onwards, but now, I've decided to start over on that project and make it better than ever.

My goal with this project is to have a sort of role play with my Disney Resort in Australia. I'll start off year one and get the resort off it's feet and then you guys (the visitors) will begin to have some imput. A store isn't profitable, should we close it and gut it, replace it, give it a rehab, etc? A new ride needs to be built, which of these would make the best option? Those type of things. I want to try to run the park to it's 50th Anniversary. Yes, this is a huge endeavor, and I hope that everyone's interested.

I'm going to post renderings, press announcements, trip reports, and tons of other goodies as I get a chance to make these things. I'll try to have my first set of press reports tonight to have some sort of stuff you guys can comment on and such. An the emphasis here is on reality. I've already done tons of planning, so if something seems fishy, there's a reason for that.

So, like I said, I hope to post something tonight to get this going. Let me know what you guys think.

WeirdOne

Original Poster
Down Under Resort Press Announcement

Hey guys,

First some background. This project is being built and funded by a private company known as the the Gold Coast Land Company (GCLC for short). They are putting in all the money and efforts, with Disney contributing a share as well. This mega resort will open Phase I with a Magic Kingdom, Downtown Disney, and two Disney Hotels. If there's anything I didn't cover, just ask.

Anyways, here's the latest coming out of Australia. It's an official press release announcing the most vague details about the resort. According to the release, more information is forthcoming. Here, take a look:

Disney Begins Preliminary Work on Theme Park Site To Mobilize for Construction Beginning in January 2011.

-- Hiring for operations of Down Under Resort castmembers and the tendering process for the theme park construction are underway --

GOLD COAST (July 11, 2010) – Down Under Resort executives provided an update on the progress of the project and a first look at the preparation and plans for the construction and operations of the 60 square mile site between Brisbane and Sydney that will become to the Down Under Resort, Disney’s sixth resort destination in the world.

During the media briefing two of the Down Under Resort's top executives, David Gunn, Group Managing Director, responsible for operations of the Down Under Resort and John Watts, Managing Director, Walt Disney Imagineering Australia in charge of construction, walked the media through the steps necessary to create a world-class Disney theme park including staff recruitment, contractor procurement and construction planning for this highly complex theme park resort explaining what the first phase is to contain.

Resort Phase I

The first phase of the Down Under Resort is to include the Magic Kingdom, a kingdom of dreams and fantasy, Downtown Disney, a nighttime resort district, and the Official Disney Hotels, a set of hotels and resorts across the property.

The Magic Kingdom, opening sometime in March 2013, is set to open with 6 themed lands: Main Street U.S.A., a turn of the century American town where you can explore the good old days. Come ride in a classic Fire Engine, or eat in "Walt's - An American Experience." Visit Edison Square and meet Thomas Edison or take a carriage ride to the Hub. Across from Main Street U.S.A. rises the majestic Snow White's Castle. This spectacular fantasy castle seems to rise out of the rock that surrounds it. To the right of Main Street U.S.A. is Tomorrowland. Come explore the future with the Timekeeper in The Visionarium or hop aboard a pair of rockets and blast off to the moon on Space Mountain. Come eat in the Pizza Port or enjoy shopping at Star Traders. If you continue counter clockwise, you'll encouter Toontown! It's where all of the characters live and play. Run wild with Roger Rabbit on a car chase, or visit Mickey in his home. Enjoy fine shopping such as the Celebrity 5 and 10. Next to Toontown is Fantasyland, where fnatasy lives and wakes. Visit Snow White's Castle or see a live show in the Castle Stage or the Fantasyland Stage. Get scared with Snow White's Scary Adventures or laugh along with It's A Small World. Next to Fantasyland is Frontierland. Come ride with Brer Rabbit in Splash Mountain or shop in the Brair Patch. Hop aboard a runaway mine train or on the Mark Twain Riverboat for a tour around the Rivers of America. Climb and jump in Tom Sawyer's Island or catch the daily nightshow "Fantasmic!". Can Mickey use his imagination to defeat the forces of evil? You're about to find out! Enjoy plenty of live entertainment and fine dining and shopping. Next to Frontierland is the famous Adventureland where you can climb aboard the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse or ride the world famous Jungle Cruise and tour the rivers of the jungle. Catch fine entertinament like "Mickey's Adventureland Mardi Gras" or shop along Royal Street and hop along Pirates Of The Carribean. If you want to leave, just go across Royal Street, and right into Main Street you'll be, because Main Street blends into Adventureland. Daily entertainment and parades are to be performed.

Along with the Magic Kingdom will be Downtown Disney, a nighttime resort area with hot places like Planet Hollywood or the House of Blues. Or stay comfortable in a Disney Hotel. On opening day, there will be two hotels: The Disneyland Hotel and Disney's Yacht Club Resort.

Magic Kingdom Australia Construction

Preliminary work is underway on the Magic Kingdom theme park site, as Disney’s team mobilizes to officially begin construction in January 2011. The GCLC will be paying a total of 7 billion for the first phase of this resort project with the Walt Disney Company adding in 850 million. The park and resort will be continuously expanded. The Magic Kingdom park is partially built over a bay with the rest of the resort across the bay in order for the Magic Kingdom to be the centerpoint, and the most expandable into the surrounding area. Over the next two months, The GCLC will be finalizing their work on the reclamation and preliminary infrastructure work to officially turn over the site to Disney to begin building the theme park resort project.

“Over the last 18 months, the GCLC has built one of the most spectacular sites for any Disney theme park in the world,” said Gunn. “It is now Disney’s job to bring this beautiful site to life by creating a flagship Disney theme park for the people of the Gold Coast.”

The development for the Down Under Resort will include a theme park, two hotels, back-of-house support facilities, infrastructure, parking and one of the largest landscape projects in the Gold Coast area. The project scope and details are unlike any development project ever built in Australia. The structures average less than three stories with the exception of the Park icons like Sleeping Beauty Castle, Space Mountain and the two hotels, which range from five to twelve-story buildings.

Contractors working on this theme park project are sure to have a one-of-a-kind experience to help build elaborate shows and attractions elements such as a river, treehouse, quaking temple ruins, erupting geysers, extensive rock work, village huts, flying elephants, as well as an Intergalactic Spaceport and many more exciting elements that make up the the Down Under Resort experience.

Walt Disney Imagineers have been working on the theme park for the past two years with preliminary designs taking place at Imagineering’s headquarters in California. The design work has been supported by local Australian architectural firms and has recently been transferred to the Gold Coast in preparation for the construction. The tendering process has been underway for several months and five construction contracts have already been secured with the remainder to be awarded over the next 18 months. In total, the project will award 15 to 35 contracts for large-scale and specialty work that will result in significant job opportunities in the construction industry throughout the two-year theme park construction process.

“We are relying on the Gold Coast construction industry to build the Down Under Resort,” said Gunn. “At the peak of construction approximately 10,000 workers will be on site to help build the theme park resort and this does not even begin to account for the thousands of jobs created industry-wide to support the logistics and production of this large-scale development project.”

The size and remote location of the project add to the complexity as Disney and the Government must create new infrastructure, roads and support systems at the early stages of construction to accommodate the thousands of workers and activity taking place on site. To create the theme park resort project, the site will have 57 kilometers (35 miles) of pipeline, 11 kilometers (6.8 miles) of cable, 1,000 manholes, and 2 million cubic meters (2.5 million cubic yards) of topsoil created solely to support the extensive landscaping on the site.

Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management and research and development arm of The Walt Disney Company. Its talented corps of Imagineers is responsible for the creation — from concept initiation through installation — of all Disney resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments and regional entertainment venues. It is headquartered in Glendale, California.

The Down Under Resort project was announced in July 2010 as a venture between The Walt Disney Company and the GCLC. Currently under reclamation by the GCLC, Disney is targeted to begin construction in early 2011 with the project scheduled to open in March 2013. The opening day program for Hong Kong Disneyland will include a 20 million annual visitor Disneyland-style theme park, two hotels and retail, dining and entertainment uses. The project is estimated to create 25,000 new jobs at opening both Disney and other employment, growing to 40,000 once the first park reaches build-out. At the completion of Phase I, the project will include a 20 million annual visitor Disneyland-style theme park, 2,500 hotel rooms, and a giant district of retail, dining and entertainment.

And here's the accompanying fact sheet that went along with these release:

Down Under Resort Fact Sheet

Project Name: Down Under Disney Resort

Location: Overlooking the water at Disney's Bay, and on a main transit route from the new Gold Coast International Airport, the project will position the Gold Coast as a world-class tourist destination. The Disney resort site will take advantage of the location's easy access by rail, highway and ferry to attract guests to the park. It is located 10 minutes from the new airport and 1 hour from downtown Brisbane.

Size: 60 square miles

Concept: Currently in the conceptual design phase, the Down Under Resort will be designed to transport guests into a world of imagination, fantasy and adventure. The park will bring together the best of the rides, shows and attractions from Disney Parks around the world to create a mix of new and traditional Disney entertainment experiences.

Opening Day: Disney is expected to begin construction in early 2011, with opening targeted for March 2013.

Opening day program includes a Disneyland-style theme park, 2 hotels and retail, dining and entertainment.

Phase I Build-Out: The Phase I build-out includes a 20 million annual visitor Disneyland-based theme park, 2,500 hotel rooms and a gaint retail, dining and entertainment complex.

Status: The project site is currently under reclamation by the GCLC targeted to be completed in December 2010.

Benefits: The project is estimated to create 25,000 new jobs at opening, growing to 40,000 once the first park reaches build-out.

The Down Under Resort will join the many current Gold Coast theme parks and will be scheduled to be completed around March 2013.

So, there's the first information to be leaked out of Australia. I bet Disney fans all over the world must be so excited!

Let me know what you guys think :king:.

WeirdOne

Original Poster
Main Street U.S.A Press Release

Hey guys!

I'm back again, reporting on the recent press release giving out details of Main Street U.S.A. Here's what to expect:

Disney Imagineers Provide First Look at Main Street U.S.A. Inside The Magic Kingdom

-- Magic Kingdom will feature Disney’s largest Main Street and combine the greatest Main Street ideas into one. –

GOLD COAST (August 11, 2010) – Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) executives unveiled today the creative design and stories behind Main Street U.S.A inside the theme park destination resort planned for the Gold Coast in Australia. The press briefing is the first in a series where Disney will unveil the creative design for the Down Under Resort targeted to open on March 15, 2013.

The Down Under Resort will be the sixth Disney resort getaway in the world and the first to incorporate the best of all Disney parks including many new ideas. It will be made up of themed lands evoking their own unique spirit of fantasy, excitement and adventure. Disney Imagineers, David Gunn, vice president and executive producer in charge of The Down Under Resort and John Watts, executive designer in charge of the Magic Kingdom, revealed several conceptual renderings and storyboards from Main Street U.S.A. that will be part of the Magic Kingdom experience.

Main Street U.S.A.
Imagine walking right into the perfect turn of the century town. That is what Disney Imagineers hope to accomplish with Main Street U.S.A. From the moment you set foot onto the street, you shall be surrounded by the sights, smells, and tastes of the early 20th Century.

WDI has commisioned several rides for opening day. First up is the "Magic Kingdom Railroad". A classic railroad featuring authentic trains that travels around the park stopping in Frontierland, Fantasyland, and Tomorrowland.

Next up is the "Penny Arcade", where you can play classic games and watch old Mickey Mouse reels. The good ol' days of sitting for hours in the local town arcade. If you are tired, hop aboard the "Main Street Vehicles" which travel up and down Main Street U.S.A. How about the "Fire Engine," the "Horse Drawn Street Cars," or the "Omnibus"?

Don't want land transportation, take the "Plaza Swan Boats". With two separate routes, you can choose what kind of tour ou would like to take. Both vehicles start near the hub and travel around the castle's moat. The first one leads into Fantasyland and takes a journey into the Fantasy and the Past. The second one leads into the rivers of Adventureland where one can live the adventure of a jungle. After the tour, the boats casually go back to the station resulting in a nice relaxing trip.

Feeling like a movie? Run to the "Main Street Cinema" and catch the old Mickey Mouse cartoons in all colors. It's right on the corner into Edison Square.

Inside Edison Square, you feel as if you've been transported to and all new place. As the very end is the "Disney Gallery" which on opening day will feature an exhibiton of Thomas Edison's work. The exhibits in the "Disney Gallery" will be replaced frequently to provide our visitors with much stuff to do.

"City Hall" is always open for anything at the beginning of Main Street U.S.A. If it is raining, you can always take one of the arcades running from Center Street to the hub or from Center Street to Edison Square. On the right is "Discovery Arcade". This indoor walkway goes from Center Street to the end of Edison Square and from Center Street to the Hub. Access to many shops and restaurants is avaliable from the arcades. On the left is "Liberty Arcade", which runs from hub to Hub.

Center Street is the center area which runs from the Cul-de-sac of Edison Square into Adventureland. When you get closer to Adventureland, the style changes to something similar like New Orleans Square in Disneyland, CA.

Go to the hub and sit and watch the castle stage shows, or catch a parade. On opening day, there will be a "Grand Opening Ceremony" and then a smaller ceremony for the rest of the week. Catch the "Magic Kingdom Parade", which has all your favorite characters in floats from the various park lands. "Snow White's Spring Festival" will be the stage show playing until the summer season. Catch the original and classic favorite, the "Main Street Electrical Parade". It features your favorite characters in thousands of shimmering lights and synthoelectromagnetic sounds. After the parade, catch the wonderful fireworks display, "Fantasy In The Sky". It will feature all of your favorite Disney songs right above Snow White Castle.

If you've had enough rides and you are hungry, go grab a bite to eat at the many turn-of-the-century diners and eateries that are themed and serve wonderful American and Australian dishes. Places include the inexpensive like "Casey's Corner" to the extra expensive with "Walt's - An American Restaurant" and the "Crystal Palace". If you want a great place for kids, try the "Plaza Pavillion" or "Town Square Café".

If you want to shop around, there's plenty of places to shop around Main Street U.S.A. Some of the great places include "The Emporium", the "House Of Magic", which features a real magician that performs tricks. If you want candy, go to the "Candy Wagon" or the "Main Street Confectionary". Want jewelry, try "Lilly’s Boutique". Plenty of places to go and shop. Many shops even include the famous "Pin Trading!" Trade pins with all your buddies and even cast members.

The Down Under Resort project was announced in July 2010 as a venture between The Walt Disney Company and the GCLC. Currently under reclamation by the GCLC, Disney is targeted to begin construction in early 2011 with the project scheduled to open in March 2013. The opening day program for the Down Under Resort will include a 20 million annual visitor Disneyland-style theme park, two hotels and retail, dining and entertainment uses. The project is estimated to create 25,000 new jobs at opening both Disney and other employment, growing to 40,000 once the first park reaches build-out. At the completion of Phase I, the project will include a 20 million annual visitor Disneyland-style theme park, 2,500 hotel rooms, and a giant district of retail, dining and entertainment.

Sounds great, huh? Well, here's the fact sheet for Main Street U.S.A.:

Main Street U.S.A Opening Day Roster

Attractions
Magic Kingdom Railroad
Main Street Cinema
Main Street Vehicles featuring: Horse Drawn Streetcars, Omnibus, Fire Engine, Horseless Carriage
Penny Arcade
Plaza Swan Boats
The Disney Gallery featuring: Thomas Edison: Harnessing The Lightning

Shops
20th Century Music Co.
Barber Shop
Chapeau
China Closet
Disney Clothiers
Disneyana Collectibles
House Of Magic
Lilly’s Boutique
Main Street Bookstore
Main Street Daily
Main Street Motors
Main Street Photo Exposition
New Century Clock Shop
Silhouette Studio
The Emporium
Wonderland Of Wax

Restaurants
Blue Ribbon Bakery
Candy Wagon
Casey’s Corner
Club 33
Great American Waffle Co.
Ice Cream Parlor
Main Street Confectionary
Station Break
The Crystal Palace
The Plaza Pavillion
Town Square Café
Walt’s - An American Restaurant

Entertainment
Dapper Dan’s
Fantasy In The Sky (starting on 03/16/2013)
Grand Opening Ceremony (03/15/2013 only)
Grand Opening Fireworks (03/15/2013 only)
Grand Opening Rope Drop (03/15/2013 only)
Grand Opening Week (03/15/2013 - 03/22/2013 only)
“Good Mornin’” Rope Drop (starting on 03/16/2013, Mon. - Sat. only)
Kiss Goodnight
Magic Kingdom Parade (starting on 03/16/2013)
Main Street Electrical Parade
Main Street Pianist
“Put On Your Sunday Clothes” Rope Drop (starting on 03/17/2013, Sun. only)
Snow White's Spring Festival (starting on 03/16/2013)

Other
City Hall
Discovery Arcade
Firehouse
Guest Information Board
Liberty Arcade
Locker Rental
Lost Children

The Down Under Resort will join the many current Gold Coast theme parks and will be scheduled to be completed around March 2013.

Okay, I hope to have some renderings done to post sometime soon. Let me guys know what you think so far :king:.

WeirdOne

Original Poster
Main Street U.S.A. Guide

Hey guys,

So, I managed to get a really bad copy of the groundplan for Main Street U.S.A. It's labeled and everything and I appologize if it's really hard to read, but hey, it's what happens when you get a second-hand copy from someone. Here's the key to the map:

Attractions:
1. City Hall (including Guest Information Board, Lost Children, and Package Pickup)
2. Discovery Arcade
3. Firehouse
4. Liberty Arcade
5. Magic Kingdom Railroad (including Locker Rental)
6. Main Street Cinema
7. Main Street Vehicles
8. Penny Arcade
9. Plaza Swan Boats
10. The Disney Gallery (Thomas Edison: Harnessing The Lightning)

Restaurants:
11. Blue Ribbon Bakery
12. Candy Wagon (ODV)
13. Casey's Corner
14. Club 33
15. Great American Waffle Co.
16. Ice Cream Parlor
17. Main Street Confectionary
18. Station Break
19. The Crystal Palace
20. The Plaza Pavillion
21. Town Square Café
22. Walt’s - An American Restaurant

Shops:
23. 20th Century Music Co.
24. Barber Shop
25. Chapeau
26. China Closet
27. Disney Clothiers
28. Disneyana Collectibles
29. House Of Magic
30. Lilly’s Boutique
31. Main Street Bookstore
32. Main Street Daily (ODV)
33. Main Street Motors
34. Main Street Photo Exposition
35. New Century Clock Shop
36. Silhouette Studio
37. The Emporium
38. Wonderland Of Wax

Anyways, here's the map I got:
downunderresortmainstreoy3.jpg

Let me know what you guys think of your first glimpse into the park and of course, the entry way: Main Street U.S.A. :king:.

Disney4648

hey weirdone,

I took use to me active in the imagineer section back in middle/high school then college hit and i left wdwmagic. But im back, and your idea looks great.

have a good one

KentB3

Hey Weird, it's great to have you back here again! And yes, I would love to get involved with this park and the role-playing as well. :)

WeirdOne

Original Poster
The Hub Guide

Hey guys,

Back with another update. Here's a rendering of the hub. I've been busy working on Tomorrowland and what's in store for that area and should have that up soon, not sure when.

Anyways, here's the information you need to know that's on the hub rendering:

Attractions:
9. Plaza Swan Boats

Restaurants:
16. Ice Cream Parlor
19. The Crystal Palace
20. The Plaza Pavillion

Other:
P. Partner's Statue

Everything else should be self-explanatory. Additionally, the parade route is from Fantasyland, around the Hub, and then to Frontierland. Here's the map:
my.php

Let me know what you guys think :king:.

KentB3

Hey guys,

So, I managed to get a really bad copy of the groundplan for Main Street U.S.A. It's labeled and everything and I appologize if it's really hard to read, but hey, it's what happens when you get a second-hand copy from someone. Here's the key to the map:

Attractions:
1. City Hall (including Guest Information Board, Lost Children, and Package Pickup)
2. Discovery Arcade
3. Firehouse
4. Liberty Arcade
5. Magic Kingdom Railroad (including Locker Rental)
6. Main Street Cinema
7. Main Street Vehicles
8. Penny Arcade
9. Plaza Swan Boats
10. The Disney Gallery (Thomas Edison: Harnessing The Lightning)

Restaurants:
11. Blue Ribbon Bakery
12. Candy Wagon (ODV)
13. Casey's Corner
14. Club 33
16. Ice Cream Parlor
17. Main Street Confectionary
18. Station Break
19. The Crystal Palace
20. The Plaza Pavillion
21. Town Square Café
22. Walt’s - An American Restaurant

Shops:
23. 20th Century Music Co.
24. Barber Shop
25. Chapeau
26. China Closet
27. Disney Clothiers
28. Disneyana Collectibles
29. House Of Magic
30. Lilly’s Boutique
31. Main Street Bookstore
32. Main Street Daily (ODV)
33. Main Street Motors
34. Main Street Photo Exposition
35. New Century Clock Shop
36. Silhouette Studio
37. The Emporium
38. Wonderland Of Wax

Anyways, here's the map I got:
downunderresortmainstreoy3.jpg

Let me know what you guys think of your first glimpse into the park and of course, the entry way: Main Street U.S.A. :king:.

You made a mistake in the numbering on your map, since you had #13 listed twice and one of these was an ODV. I assume that the #13 in Edison Square was #12, the Candy Wagon, since there was no #12 on your map.

Hope this helps! :animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom