Disney's Contemporary Resort

Tiggerfanatic

Have stayed there twice, both time in the tower w/ MK view. Worth every penny to me. The monorail is the coolest thing ever, and you can't beat the convenience to the Magic Kingdom. I realize it's not for everyone, but that's one of the best things about Disney - there's something for every taste. I'll admit to being a resort snob, and I love the Contemporary.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Personal preference. Personally, I won't stay there. When I go to Disney, I want to stay in a themed hotel. Contemporary lacks that. Believe it or not, of the 3 monorail resorts, the Contemporary is the least convenient in terms of the monorail. There is no laundry in the main tower building. The elevators are quick, but there so many people using them, you could be waiting a few minutes to get on one. The Convention vibe and all the ballrooms are a huge turn off for me. I see enough hotels like that with work conventions. I don't need to see it on vacation. As for the rooms, they're simply bizarre. I've never seen a hotel room with less drawer space. There are no ceiling fans. The sinks in the bathroom are flat and the water just sits there. There is no room to put any toiletries except for underneath the sink. The bathroom door doesn't lock. The TV is directly in front of the bed closest to the door, but at a terrible angle to the other bed. And there's a giant glass desk that takes up a huge chunk of living space in the room.

I just can't see staying in a hotel like that, when the Polynesian and Grand Floridian, which are almost as convenient to the Magic Kingdom (the Poly is arguably the most convenient), are right there.

If you want a fancy Hilton style hotel that you would find in any major city with no theme to it, then it's your best bet.

Upvote 0

Freshee61

Yes ! It the best IMO! As said before mk tower room= perfect. Bar, snack bar and lake by the pool is fun! Yes very nice place ! Plus the calafornia grill!

Upvote 0

Cactusspade

I have to disagree with CaptainKidd. I think there rooms are by far the nicest. Ceiling fans? Ice cold A/C. Ceiling fans went out in the 80s. Drawer space was fine, unless you are bringing 20 suitcases. The sinks are a little weird, but they drained fine. Toiletries under the sink are fine. Bathroom door doesn't lock? LOL, well, if the door is closed, obviously someone is in there...LOL. Common sense. TV angle is horrible? Uh,,then turn it. Or just stay home and watch TV there. Giant desk? Not giant at all. Works perfectly.

Grand Floridian rooms are smaller and ugly, IMO. Poly rooms are large, but with tropical theming, of course. Everyone has different tastes, but I think the Contemporary is great, even without gaudy theming.

Upvote 0

pixargal

We enjoyed our stay at the Contemporary. Nothing beats waking up in the morning and looking at the Magic Kingdom. It has some of the nicest castmembers on property. Also, it is just a short walk to the Magic Kingdom. Although we probably won't stay there again, we don't care for the theming, it is an iconic WDW resort and I recommend staying there at least once if you can afford it.

Upvote 0

Goofy6294

I think the CR is the most polarizing resort on site - folks either love it or hate it. I've stayed twice - once for a convention and then again the following year on a "splurge" trip. Captainkidd brings up some good points but, that being said, we love the monorail resorts and you can't beat stepping out onto your balcony, watching Wishes, and then turning in for the night while not having to worry about fighting the crowds to get out of the park. My advice is give a MK view room a shot, just don't pay rack rates for it!

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Captainkidd brings up some good points but, that being said, we love the monorail resorts and you can't beat stepping out onto your balcony, watching Wishes, and then turning in for the night while not having to worry about fighting the crowds to get out of the park. My advice is give a MK view room a shot, just don't pay rack rates for it!

In all fairness, I was never impressed with the pics I saw of the MK from the room balconies, and then last month I got to see a room. That was pretty awesome, I have to say. Theme Park View at GF and Poly I felt wasn't wort it. At the Contemporary, it would be well worth it.

Upvote 0

s&k'smom

My brother and SIL love this resort stayed two years in a row, now my DH and I love the GF and they don't, it really is personal preference. My friend stayed there for her wedding and had a MK view and I do have to admit it was amazing.

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

We love the monorail resorts. The Contemporary is fine, but we actually like The Poly better. Is it worth the money? Yes, I can't see staying somewhere else when during my entire vacation, I'd be wishing I was at the Poly, or any of the monorail resorts. Another big plus, is transportation, you can take the monorail, the boat or walk, if at the Contemporary. (thats a BIG plus when your feet are killing you or you have a very cranky child, or in my case, cranky husband LOL) Also, if you want to see the fireworks from MK, you can watch them from the resort!!

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

i've stayed at all of the monorail resorts contemporary x1, gf x1, and poly x2. i love being on the monorail loop but for me deciding on spending that extra money depends on what type of group i'm going with. if it's just my husband and i we will usually spoil ourselves since when more of us go we often end up picking up the bill so we figure we deserve it once in a while. when i went last year for my first solo trip with just my granddaughter and myself i booked on the monorail loop knowing i could never carry her if needed, didn't want a long walk back to the room, and wanted to be able to jump to/from the room/pool really quick. when i go with just my girlfriends or if i go with a big group or if we know we're doing food and wine festival (knowing most of our time will be at epcot kind of trip) we book elsewhere. it's fun staying right there by the mk but there's great reasons to stay at other disney resorts as well...only you can decide what's best for you.

Upvote 0

shmmrname

I've stayed there once. For me, it was good to cross of 'the list', but it wasn't as great as I thought it would be. It's great to be that accessible to the monorail. The theme isn't your typical disney-style and it's showing it's age a bit - but, it's still attractive.

I'm not saying don't stay there. But, for us...

My wife has never stayed there, and we are slowly working through our must-stays. Because of the theme and my past experience, we personally put it at the bottom of our DEL list. Especially after the Yacht Club, now I feel like I'd rather be near Epcot over the rails.

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

Personal preference. Personally, I won't stay there. When I go to Disney, I want to stay in a themed hotel. Contemporary lacks that.
If you want a fancy Hilton style hotel that you would find in any major city with no theme to it, then it's your best bet.

The theme of the Contemporary is modern. It was one of the first WDW resorts built. Originally built in the 70s it still contains much of the feel of what was modern at that time. It has since been updated to also incorporate a more "contemporary" feel.

It is a great resort with a very clear theme. If your idea of theme includes Disney characters they are everywhere, especially Mickey.

There is a beautiful Mary Blair mosaic on the wall of the grand concourse, the iconic monorail runs through it and it is the only resort that has a direct walking path to MK.

I've have never seen a Hilton that has the character or theme of the Contemporary resort.

It is very Disney. Classic.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

The theme of the Contemporary is modern. It was one of the first WDW resorts built. Originally built in the 70s it still contains much of the feel of what was modern at that time. It has since been updated to also incorporate a more "contemporary" feel.

It is a great resort with a very clear theme. If your idea of theme includes Disney characters they are everywhere, especially Mickey.

There is a beautiful Mary Blair mosaic on the wall of the grand concourse, the iconic monorail runs through it and it is the only resort that has a direct walking path to MK.

I've have never seen a Hilton that has the character or theme of the Contemporary resort.

It is very Disney. Classic.

As I said, personal preference. However, if you ask people what the least themed resort on property is, the majority will say the Contemporary. If by theme we were just going by characters, then All Star Movies would be the best themed resort on property.

Pretty much any guidebook will tell you the same thing. Unofficial Guide, Complete Walt Disney World, Frommers, Fodors all say the same thing. The resort is essentially themeless. Again, that's fine if it's what you're looking for. When I'm talking about a theme, I'm thinking of Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Polynesian, Port Orleans, Grand Floridian, Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Upvote 0

StAug WDW fan

Contemporary

I'm not a big fan of the Contemporary. A big plus is you can walk to MK. What I don't like about it is the Lobby area is sterile and cold. There is actually a lot of conference space on the next level and there are large open spaces again feeling like a gymnasium. The pool is below par even though it had been upgraded with a slide it's probably one of my least favorite. But agree with others it's personal preference. My daughter loves the place!

Upvote 0

MickeyPeace

As I said, personal preference. However, if you ask people what the least themed resort on property is, the majority will say the Contemporary. If by theme we were just going by characters, then All Star Movies would be the best themed resort on property.

Pretty much any guidebook will tell you the same thing. Unofficial Guide, Complete Walt Disney World, Frommers, Fodors all say the same thing. The resort is essentially themeless. Again, that's fine if it's what you're looking for. When I'm talking about a theme, I'm thinking of Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Polynesian, Port Orleans, Grand Floridian, Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Of course it's personal preference. Personally I would stay at any of the Deluxe, including Contemporary. To say that the theme of the Contemporary is no theme is incorrect though. If a guide book writer says that I wouldn't think they are a credible source.

To each his own, no one should stay there if they don't like it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom