Disney's Club 33 film in the works

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Details from The Hollywood Reporter:

"A private Disney club is going public. Like, big-screen public.

Club 33, the exclusive dining club inside Disneyland, is getting the movie treatment.

Darren Lempke, who has worked on such family films as Goosebumpsstarring Jack Black and Shazam!, has been tapped to pen the script set in a fantastical world about the club.

Deadpool & Wolverine director Shawn Levy, Dan Levine and Dan Cohen are producing through 21 Laps Entertainment, the prolific banner behind Stranger Things and the recent Holocaust drama All The Light We Cannot See

The project is said to exude the tone and vibes of Clue and Night at the Museum, Levy’s own fantasy-adventure trilogy set in a museum and featuring exhibits and historical figures to come to life.

For Club 33, the story centers on Kim, a young aspiring detective living in present-day New York, who receives a mysterious invite to the highly secretive Club 33. In this case, it’s a magical and exclusive dining club that exists outside of time and space. The club’s members are the greatest and most iconic members from the past: geniuses, royalty and history-makers.

When a murder is committed moments after her arrival, the patrons look to Kim to solve it. Kim, who despite her brilliance can’t seem to get out of her own way, must rise to the occasion and find a way to capture the criminal amidst the greatest minds history has to offer.

21 Laps executive Emily Morris brought in the project and is overseeing it.

Club 33 is the latest effort by Disney to seek screen inspiration from its theme parks. Adapting attractions has been a 21st-century tradition ever since The Pirates of the Caribbean became a billion-dollar franchise, which in turn fueled park interest. Other efforts, such as 2015’s Tomorrowland or the more recent Jungle Cruise or Haunted Mansion, have shown it’s not an easy ride."

More at the link below.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Details from The Hollywood Reporter:

"A private Disney club is going public. Like, big-screen public.

Club 33, the exclusive dining club inside Disneyland, is getting the movie treatment.

Darren Lempke, who has worked on such family films as Goosebumpsstarring Jack Black and Shazam!, has been tapped to pen the script set in a fantastical world about the club.

Deadpool & Wolverine director Shawn Levy, Dan Levine and Dan Cohen are producing through 21 Laps Entertainment, the prolific banner behind Stranger Things and the recent Holocaust drama All The Light We Cannot See

The project is said to exude the tone and vibes of Clue and Night at the Museum, Levy’s own fantasy-adventure trilogy set in a museum and featuring exhibits and historical figures to come to life.

For Club 33, the story centers on Kim, a young aspiring detective living in present-day New York, who receives a mysterious invite to the highly secretive Club 33. In this case, it’s a magical and exclusive dining club that exists outside of time and space. The club’s members are the greatest and most iconic members from the past: geniuses, royalty and history-makers.

When a murder is committed moments after her arrival, the patrons look to Kim to solve it. Kim, who despite her brilliance can’t seem to get out of her own way, must rise to the occasion and find a way to capture the criminal amidst the greatest minds history has to offer.

21 Laps executive Emily Morris brought in the project and is overseeing it.

Club 33 is the latest effort by Disney to seek screen inspiration from its theme parks. Adapting attractions has been a 21st-century tradition ever since The Pirates of the Caribbean became a billion-dollar franchise, which in turn fueled park interest. Other efforts, such as 2015’s Tomorrowland or the more recent Jungle Cruise or Haunted Mansion, have shown it’s not an easy ride."

More at the link below.

Before I read the details I'm like, how the heck are they going to tell a story about Club 33 basically a dining club for the rich, that would be the most boring story ever told. But now that reading that its a murder mystery set within Club 33, I'm all for it!

erasure fan1

This is strange one. Club 33 isn't really known with in the general public so it would seem an odd choice. They won't really get any sort of name recognition out of it. That said, maybe they feel the dis nerds will get it and understand the reference. All while not getting the collective sighs of the general audience thinking, a restaurant? Really? How stupid. Because most will have no idea what club 33 is.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This is strange one. Club 33 isn't really known with in the general public so it would seem an odd choice. They won't really get any sort of name recognition out of it. That said, maybe they feel the dis nerds will get it and understand the reference. All while not getting the collective sighs of the general audience thinking, a restaurant? Really? How stupid. Because most will have no idea what club 33 is.
It all depends on the exposition of how the Club is described within the movie. If the idea is that its the normal Club 33 inside the Parks and done well its not hard to explain it to the generic public even if they have no prior knowledge.

WoundedDreamer

The movie spinoff that nobody asked for, nobody wants, and is guaranteed to lose money. What could go wrong?

I have multiple new movie ideas to pitch to drive synergy at the parks!

Disney's "The Magical Churro Stand"
Disney's "Sunny Eclipse: Rise to Fame"
Disney's "The Legend of MyGenie+ and Multi-Day Parkhoppers"
Disney's "In Search for the Piping Hot Liquid Cheese Dispenser"
Disney's "Push: The Talking Trash Can" (Okay, I would actually watch that)

So many great options!

erasure fan1

It all depends on the exposition of how the Club is described within the movie. If the idea is that its the normal Club 33 inside the Parks and done well its not hard to explain it to the generic public even if they have no prior knowledge.
I really don't think it matters. I think it's actually better for them to not know. My point was more, I think there is a real fatigue right now with Disney and the remakes and attraction adaptations. People seem to roll their eyes every time they announce one. So I say keep it ambiguous and focus on making a fun film. You can have your Easter eggs and call backs, but you don't need to focus o worry about it. The last thing I would do is explain it to the normies. Make a great film and people will naturally want to know more. Fallout is a fabulous example. Great show, and when it was done, the games had a huge resurgence in interest. And not from just gamers, everyone wanted to learn more.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I really don't think it matters. I think it's actually better for them to not know. My point was more, I think there is a real fatigue right now with Disney and the remakes and attraction adaptations. People seem to roll their eyes every time they announce one. So I say keep it ambiguous and focus on making a fun film. You can have your Easter eggs and call backs, but you don't need to focus o worry about it. The last thing I would do is explain it to the normies. Make a great film and people will naturally want to know more. Fallout is a fabulous example. Great show, and when it was done, the games had a huge resurgence in interest. And not from just gamers, everyone wanted to learn more.
Totally agree

Life is never “fair” or “equal”…

But doing a movie to showcase this screams aloof hubris and ego…by an increasingly unpopular brand.

But at least Nelly didn’t gain control and sell them for $10 to dollar general, right?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think it does matter as if it relies too much on knowing the reference ahead of time it'll fail quickly with general audiences that aren't deep into Park lore. So if they use exposition to describe it within the context of the plot they can give the background while still having easter eggs for those that know the Park lore. Its a balance in trying to give Park fans something to cheer about while keeping it generic enough to not turn off the general public. But we're so early in this process we don't know what they are going to do.

Also I would say there has been general fatigue with Disney over the last couple years, not just with the remakes and attraction movies. Hopefully the recent pause has done some good.

WorldExplorer

I think it does matter as if it relies too much on knowing the reference ahead of time it'll fail quickly with general audiences that aren't deep into Park lore. So if they use exposition to describe it within the context of the plot they can give the background while still having easter eggs for those that know the Park lore. Its a balance in trying to give Park fans something to cheer about while keeping it generic enough to not turn off the general public. But we're so early in this process we don't know what they are going to do.

Also I would say there has been general fatigue with Disney over the last couple years, not just with the remakes and attraction movies. Hopefully the recent pause has done some good.

This is it. Anyone wondering "why?", I'll bet you anything this is the reason why this is going to be a thing. They can put park references into it and no matter how terrible your film is you will find at least a few people willing to vouch for it if it has Thing They Know Already in it at some point.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

I think it does matter as if it relies too much on knowing the reference ahead of time it'll fail quickly with general audiences that aren't deep into Park lore.
Sure youbneed to explain things within the context of your film. I just don't think it needs to be telegraphed beforehand. Like I said, good story takes care of needing to know the lore. Fallout didn't destroy everyone in the ratings because they gave people a backstory to the lore before it came out. The used great storytelling to make sure normies and the core fan were happy.
Maybe. There's always been a contingent of people who ragged on Disney because, Evil corporation BAD. But it sure seemed to hit the general public when everything they announced was tied to those type of projects. I guess we'll see when Moana hits later on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom