Disney's America

DarkMeasures

I want Disney to build a true Theme-park in the Chicagoland area.
I mean Six Flags is basically running a monopoly and that park is definitly not clean at all.

Disney Quest failed horribly (should have built it near or on Navy Pier), and well the area needs a cool park. Indoor or outdoor would be great too. The best part is that nothing historical is really in the area and the urban sprawl has already happened. (driving is worse in Chicago's suburbs than in Orlando area).

It doesn't need to be a land, or America, but just a Disney operated theme park. That's what I want.

celticdog

evanssc said:

In the end, it was a good thing that Disney tried to acquire the land around <st1:City><ST1:pManassas</ST1:p</st1:City> because it opened the eyes of many preservationist organizations to get to work and save what could be saved. Much of the original threatened land has now been saved and each year brings more money and awareness for preservation.

I do believe that you may be missing the point that PhotoDave was making. The land that Disney wanted was adjacent to the existing park in Manassas. That land is protected and has been part of the park system for as long as i can remember, even before Disney started buying property. The Disney's America would have complimented the existing battlefields. Disney's America would have tied in with the historical significance of the area. Instead, Disney was driven out and suburban sprawl laid waste to the whole area. Now the park is surrounded by strip malls and fast food joints.

evanssc

celticdog said:
I do believe that you may be missing the point that PhotoDave was making. The land that Disney wanted was adjacent to the existing park in Manassas. That land is protected and has been part of the park system for as long as i can remember, even before Disney started buying property. The Disney's America would have complimented the existing battlefields. Disney's America would have tied in with the historical significance of the area. Instead, Disney was driven out and suburban sprawl laid waste to the whole area. Now the park is surrounded by strip malls and fast food joints.

Yes, the land that Disney wanted was adjacent to the existing park, however the existing national park did not include much of the original battlefield. Thus the land that Disney hoped to use for the park and the surrounding land that would have been developed would have destroyed much of the unprotected battlefield that was not under the protection of the National Park Service.

In the past few years much of this same threatened land has been purchased by the CWPT including 156 acres of land that saw some of the fiercest fighting during the battle of Second Manassas. This may not seem like much of a success to you, but for those of us who had ancestors who fought and died there, it is a great victory.

I do understand that PhotoDave is upset that there are now shopping malls and subdivisions on some of the land that Disney hoped to use. I too find it distressing, however, I realize that had Disney America been built we would have lost much more of the land that has now been saved and there would be even more development of the surrounding area than there is now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom