DisneyQuest

fbp

Original Poster
Screamscape has a report up that the screens in the elevators in DisneyQuest are covered up and that the Genie animation is not running.

Can anyone confirm? Does anyone know what they're up to?

HD Genie?

gleddo

It is true. We were there last week and I mentioned to my wife that the video was gone and the video screen was covered up.

menamechris

Ya, it has been like this for awhile. I think the "show" was backing up the line to get in. So no more show it looks like. The screen was boarded up - and it looked permanent last time I was there.

the-reason14

A true shame. Is it ever crowded enough in Disney Quest to have the lines be backed up because of the screen? DQ's been here since when? 1997 or so? It hasn't caused a problem since then, why now? Stupid!!!!

invader

I really wish some of DQ would get a refurb, we used to go all the time and now it's been a good five years. :(

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I really wish some of DQ would get a refurb, we used to go all the time and now it's been a good five years. :(

Yeah, its a bit sad that it's been left in such disrepair. If I had the choice to build DQ, I would have done it a lot differently to begin with.

Seeing a large building with almost no hint of whats inside (before they added TV's to the outside) didn't entice people to explore what it was. Then people hear "oh its an arcade" doesn't really give a good idea of what it really is.

Hmm, maybe I'll design a DisneyQuest 2.0 :D

fbp

Original Poster
Well this sucks. The Genie show was the only real 'magical' thing about it. It always made me happy.

Mongomil

Sad to hear. The wife and I went in 2009 and got to see it. We were both very happy about seeing it, and it was a complete suprise to us. It is one of the few things that still get mentioned when we talk about DQ. Other than that it is a been there done that type of place.

backinaction

it would make more $ if they added or replaced some attractions. The only real "wow" thing there is pirates. Disney has put nothing into it, so they get nothing out of it.

fbp

Original Poster
I still love DisneyQuest. I know it's outdated and a bit run down. I used to go to a local arcade when I was a kid. It was a bit expensive and I usually only played a game or two. I still get a kick out of being able to play as many games as I want for as long as I want! I don't really like any of the 'virtual reality' games (Pirates, Jungle Cruise). I find the helmets hurt my face.

Plus the whole thing is 'free' 'cause we always buy the water parks and more option so we can hit up one of our favorite things - Typhoon Lagoon.

I'm always worried it'll be closed next time we go. I wouldn't mind if it was closed for refurb, but I'd be sad if it was done for good. I've got a bad feeling about September 2012.

menamechris

Plus the whole thing is 'free' 'cause we always buy the water parks and more option so we can hit up one of our favorite things - Typhoon Lagoon.

I'm always worried it'll be closed next time we go. I wouldn't mind if it was closed for refurb, but I'd be sad if it was done for good. I've got a bad feeling about September 2012.

I like the retro arcade games, but I personally think the rest is pretty dated and a pretty sad imagining of what Disney saw as a "futuristic arcade". That being said, if it closes, hopefully we will have a much better "and more" option at DTD pretty soon...

the-reason14

I wish they would give it some TLC, and I'm still tripping about the genie being gone. It's just stupid imo. I didn't get to go in there last week, but I did want to go and actually explore the place more. I've been in there so many times, but there's a handful of stuff that I've never done since I'm usually alone. Like Pirates, the aladdin thing, the virtual jungle cruise, and I haven't done cyber space mt. in a long while. I hope I can explore the place a bit more on my next trip whenever that may be, but I have a bad feeling that within the next year or so I'll read that they're deciding to close it down.

FigmentJedi

You'd think they'd do something with Ride the Comix now that they have Marvel. That pseudo-Image/Comix Zone aesthetic universe that they never even did anything with beyond that attraction wouldn't really be missed.

MissAlmyra

I remember loving DisneyQuest the first time I went as a kid, but going back recently it just didn't have much of a "wow" factor. It was great to play some of the arcade games (and the custom roller coaster is always fun), but many of the attractions seemed to have aged badly. Hopefully it's not just nostalgia-goggles acting up. :ROFLOL:

menamechris

Ya...it has not aged well. Ha! With that being said, I can't see them closing it until there is another "and more" option for tickets. And with the pace DTD is moving - and no announcements of whats to actually come - it could still be years away...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom