Disneyland's Galaxy's Edge - crowd entry/exit control May 31 - June 23

Grand Admiral Thrawn

Original Poster
Any speculation on how Disney will actually enforce the exit of crowds after their alloted timelsots have expired?

Will colored wristbands be handed out per timeslot, if so, how will that be handled if say you are eating at one of the establishments or having a cold galactic brew at Oga's Cantina and your time has expired?

I've got one of the nighttime reservations on Day 1 and am hoping all the early timelots folks arent still milling around GE when our group goes in.

Last edited:

fctiger

Actually since the windows will all overlap with each other for at least an hour its no way there won't be people from the previous window already there when you arrive.

I actually theorized on another site my guess is they will probably let people jump in lines up until the last minute of the window but once that time is up will stop others from jumping in obviously. So my guess is they aren't going to just boot you out at the minute if you are eating or anything, just expect you to leave once you finish.

They may have a cut off point for some things like the SR ride where you are allowed to get in line until maybe an hour before your time slot is up or something. And yes I'm guessing they will used color wristbands to figure things out better.

fctiger

How did that work for Pandora’s AP previews? It has been quite similar thus far, no?

Well you gave me the motivation to find out what they did for the Pandora AP previews and I found the thread on the WDW page and read quite a few posts. There is probably a few things from that preview they will do here. A few takeaways:

#1. They were only given two hour windows to see the land as opposed to the four hours we will get (and they had two attractions to ride as well). So thats a big plus for us but I think they decided for four hours because of #2.

#2. A lot of posters who did the Pandora preview said they were usually allowed to enter early, seems to anywhere from 30-60 mins early and could extend beyond the window until about 30 mins after their time was up. So there were no hard cut offs and could actually enter early. My only GUESS is that they simply judged how many people were in the land and if looked like it wasn't that busy or dying down, then they let in the next group a little earlier. But it sounded like a lot of people stayed 3-4 hours total and that was also probably due #3.

#3. They were handed out 'fastpasses' to FoP but it wasn't really a fast past but really just a return time to go on the ride, but the lines were still long. In fact many said they waited over the two hour limit and probably why they were just given more time beyond the two hours so they can do other things and eat. As far as why they gave out FP, many theorized it was done this way so not everyone will line up at once and that people couldn't jump back in line if they already did it the first time. So I suspect they will do the same strategy for SR. Note: The River Boat journey didn't need a FP but the lines were much shorter anyway.

Edit: I read another post from someone who said on the day they did their previews, they actually let the previous reservations stay as long as they wanted pass their windows, they simply couldn't ride any of the rides pass that their original window.

So I have a feeling they learned their lesson the two hour limit just wasn't long enough for people to ride and explore a bit of the land. And they will probably let people in a little early IF enough people leave early enough from the previous time slot, but with four full hours its probably not necessary. But I'm all but certain now everyone will get a return time pass of when to hit SR and it will stop people from trying to jump on it in the last minute or cut down on repeat rides.

Last edited:

Grand Admiral Thrawn

Original Poster
Well you gave me the motivation to find out what they did for the Pandora AP previews and I found the thread on the WDW page and read quite a few posts. There is probably a few things from that preview they will do here. A few takeaways:

#1. They were only given two hour windows to see the land as opposed to the four hours we will get (and they had two attractions to ride as well). So thats a big plus for us but I think they decided for four hours because of #2.

#2. A lot of posters who did the Pandora preview said they were usually allowed to enter early, seems to anywhere from 30-60 mins early and could extend beyond the window until about 30 mins after their time was up. So there were no hard cut offs and could actually enter early. My only GUESS is that they simply judged how many people were in the land and if looked like it wasn't that busy or dying down, then they let in the next group a little earlier. But it sounded like a lot of people stayed 3-4 hours total and that was also probably due #3.

#3. They were handed out 'fastpasses' to FoP but it wasn't really a fast past but really just a return time to go on the ride, but the lines were still long. In fact many said they waited over the two hour limit and probably why they were just given more time beyond the two hours so they can do other things and eat. As far as why they gave out FP, many theorized it was done this way so not everyone will line up at once and that people couldn't jump back in line if they already did it the first time. So I suspect they will do the same strategy for SR. Note: The River Boat journey didn't need a FP but the lines were much shorter anyway.

Edit: I read another post from someone who said on the day they did their previews, they actually let the previous reservations stay as long as they wanted pass their windows, they simply couldn't ride any of the rides pass that their original window.

So I have a feeling they learned their lesson the two hour limit just wasn't long enough for people to ride and explore a bit of the land. And they will probably let people in a little early IF enough people leave early enough from the previous time slot, but with four full hours its probably not necessary. But I'm all but certain now everyone will get a return time pass of when to hit SR and it will stop people from trying to jump on it in the last minute or cut down on repeat rides.

Thanks for the input, so for the Pandora opening they didn't have wristbands or a way to immediatley spot who was who regarding reserved timeframes? I guess I could peruse those posts , but you summarized it so nicely here!

fctiger

Thanks for the input, so for the Pandora opening they didn't have wristbands or a way to immediatley spot who was who regarding reserved timeframes? I guess I could peruse those posts , but you summarized it so nicely here!

No worries! It was actually fun to read! :)

But no one mentioned any wristbands but I'm guessing they had to have something because some did say they were forcing people out about 30 mins after their window was up. When I have time I'll go back through it and have a read to see if someone mentioned it.

ThemedScream

In a few days, I'm going to try and get a CM preview reservation for May 20th. They're doing the CM previews basically the exact same way as they're going to handle regular guests (4 hr windows, 1 hr overlapping, etc) so maybe that will give us an idea how it will go. However, CMs are going to be checking in at Launch Bay, and I feel like that probably won't be happening during the official opening.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

Original Poster
Disneyland is allowing lineups prior to 5/31. Is that to grab a "first step" spot into GE provided they have the 8am res? There was no mention of no-res public access to GE as far as I know.

fctiger

It does sound like Disney will be using wrist bands and will be strict with the four hour time limit:

https://*****.com/2019/05/disneylan...-colored-wristbands-and-stormtrooper-patrols/

And yep, it looks like my OP was right and that you will at least be able to jump in all the lines up until your window is up:

"After each four-hour window ends, Disneyland employees may turn away visitors with expired wristbands attempting to enter the Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run attraction, Oga’s Cantina cocktail lounge, Docking Bay 7 restaurant and the Savi’s Workshop and Droid Depot experiential shops."

And honestly 4 hours is tons of time, it really just about how much are you spending that time waiting for SR. The smart ones will just wait to get in the SR line by the end of their reserve window (or at least the final hour) if the line is over 2 hours or something (and basically expand your time in the land) but we know the majority will probably jump in line as soon as they enter.

Disney Analyst

It does sound like Disney will be using wrist bands and will be strict with the four hour time limit:

https://*****.com/2019/05/disneylan...-colored-wristbands-and-stormtrooper-patrols/

And yep, it looks like my OP was right and that you will at least be able to jump in all the lines up until your window is up:

"After each four-hour window ends, Disneyland employees may turn away visitors with expired wristbands attempting to enter the Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run attraction, Oga’s Cantina cocktail lounge, Docking Bay 7 restaurant and the Savi’s Workshop and Droid Depot experiential shops."

And honestly 4 hours is tons of time, it really just about how much are you spending that time waiting for SR. The smart ones will just wait to get in the SR line by the end of their reserve window (or at least the final hour) if the line is over 2 hours or something (and basically expand your time in the land) but we know the majority will probably jump in line as soon as they enter.

I'm not really a shopper so 4 hours is almost TOO much for me. Give me an hour to explore the land, check out shops... maybe 30 mins extra for waiting time to get in places/try some food. Then BAM in line for the ride and out.

I guess if you want to do all the PLAY Disney crap then it could be longer...

fctiger

I'm not really a shopper so 4 hours is almost TOO much for me. Give me an hour to explore the land, check out shops... maybe 30 mins extra for waiting time to get in places/try some food. Then BAM in line for the ride and out.

I guess if you want to do all the PLAY Disney crap then it could be longer...

I'm actually looking forward to the Datapadd element. It sounds like it will give you more ways to explore the land but I don't think that's something most people will do more than a few visits unless they constantly change things up through the years.

But yeah, I'm guessing the average guest spends an hour at best in a land if they are not riding anything. GE looks amazing but once you hit SR, gone through all the shops and ate most people will be ready to leave. I remember how excited I was to finally do WWOHP and after doing the ride which was only a 20 minute wait for me, I was probably in the land for about an hour total. Every visit after that about thirty minutes (not counting the ride). I can see myself hanging around GE longer but I doubt I would want to spend all day in it either once you eat and ride.

DeletedAccount55555

My reservation is on June 8, so I'm eager to see any tips from people going earlier on the most effective strategies. I wish I had the first res of the day, but I'm in the 2-6pm window....meaning Smuggler's Run will certainly have people from earlier time slots in the line.

My head is swimming with questions about how these reservations affect touring around DLR. While you'd expect crowds to be big, why would people without reservations even bother going to Disneyland that day? How many guests are just doing to do their GE reservations and then leave? If I'm trying to park hop that day, am I better off going to DCA at rope drop and doing that whole park in a few hours before my 2pm reservation?

DLR>WDW

My reservation is on June 8, so I'm eager to see any tips from people going earlier on the most effective strategies. I wish I had the first res of the day, but I'm in the 2-6pm window....meaning Smuggler's Run will certainly have people from earlier time slots in the line.

My head is swimming with questions about how these reservations affect touring around DLR. While you'd expect crowds to be big, why would people without reservations even bother going to Disneyland that day? How many guests are just doing to do their GE reservations and then leave? If I'm trying to park hop that day, am I better off going to DCA at rope drop and doing that whole park in a few hours before my 2pm reservation?
None of these questions have answers at the moment, however you'll have about a week to suss out your plan based on what the crowds are like the first week of June. I too have a reservation later in the day, so I'm curious on how hard it will to get everything done.

gsrjedi

My reservation is from 8am-12 from a hotel stay. I wonder where the line will be to get in and as a hotel guest with early admission will there be a separate line in the parks.

fctiger

Why would people not go to DL that day just because they don't have reservations to GE? There are tons of people who don't care about the land or will simply be back when it opens for everyone else. Its still summer time, tons of vacationers and kids out of school will be around.

As for your other questions, fortunately you will have a full week of other reservations to answer your question and see how it goes. We are going on the 11th from 5-9. We purposely wanted to wait at least a week to see how things go for others and get the kinks out.

fctiger

My reservation is from 8am-12 from a hotel stay. I wonder where the line will be to get in and as a hotel guest with early admission will there be a separate line in the parks.

So far everyone I read that got the reservation via hotel it sounds like everyone is going 8-12 a.m. I think they want the hotel guests to experience it first and when it will be the least crowded. Unless other hotel guests got different times but I have not read one yet that has.

DeletedAccount55555

Why would people not go to DL that day just because they don't have reservations to GE? There are tons of people who don't care about the land or will simply be back when it opens for everyone else. Its still summer time, tons of vacationers and kids out of school will be around.

There are plenty of reasons for them not to go those days. APs with blackout dates for one. Another is just wanting to avoid the crowds they've been led to believe Galaxy's Edge will bring.

If there really are "tons of people who don't care about the land," wouldn't they care a lot more about avoiding those crowds?

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Wow just read they are actually going to use Stormtroopers to get guests to leave the land.....:cool:. Who would say NO to one of those guys?:angelic:

fctiger

There are plenty of reasons for them not to go those days. APs with blackout dates for one. Another is just wanting to avoid the crowds they've been led to believe Galaxy's Edge will bring.

If there really are "tons of people who don't care about the land," wouldn't they care a lot more about avoiding those crowds?

Well APs who are blacked out are not the same thing. They simply can't go outside of buying another ticket. And its always going to be crowded. Its summer, its going to be busy regardless. And the way Disney has done this, its actually not going to be that much busier then usual since most people will know they just can't show up and go into the land. Its AFTER June 24th where its going to get really crazy since that's when anyone can go.

But of course I'm sure there are people who decided not to go this summer to avoid all the Star Wars craziness but they will still be a minority.

Ismael Flores

Im

trying to find the interview that i read but in one of the questions asked in regards to exploring the land and how they would control the time length of the queue the Disney spokesperson said they will try to maintain it two hours or less.

one way is to help spread the crowds in the land so that half if is in the queue and the other half is exploring. they also intend on somehow communicating to guests that if they intend of riding falcon that they should be in line no later than the third hour.
so i wonder if they wont to make sure that guests dont jump in line right before their time is up especially if the queue is 2 hours long. if that hapoens then the next group would see more crowding

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom