DisneylandForward

J4546

imo it would be great to have a water park with the scale as Volcano Bay even it it was closed 2-3 months of the year. Thats just imo and will never happen though. Maybe knotts will do something grand with their waterpark in the future....If they went all out and spent 500+ million like Universal did on a top notch waterpark, theyd have that segment on lock

Consumer

imo it would be great to have a water park with the scale as Volcano Bay even it it was closed 2-3 months of the year. Thats just imo and will never happen though. Maybe knotts will do something grand with their waterpark in the future....If they went all out and spent 500+ million like Universal did on a top notch waterpark, theyd have that segment on lock
Why? Water parks are disgusting.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
  1. Disney gets about 70-80 more acres of land in Anaheim to build on. I'd hate for any of it to be wasted on a water park.
  2. How would Disney theming enhance a water park? There's nothing unique about them.
  3. As others have said, there are plenty of water parks in So. Cal to go to.
  4. Also as others have said, it would be closed for minimum 4 months of the year (not 2-3).
  5. Piggy-backing on that, Volcano Bay works in Florida because it is tropical and hot there year round.
Side note: I've seen pics of Volcano Bay on Instagram and it just seems like a place for social media nuts to go and post their token half-naked pics from.

ETA: It actually does look like a fun water park, but that doesn't negate what I listed above.

J4546

I went to Volcano Bay and loved it, I would love to have an option like that in CA. And there are like 3 water parks in LA and they are all pretty bad imo. A killer, well themed volcano or mountainous waterpark would be awsome imo.

Phroobar

I went to Volcano Bay and loved it, I would love to have an option like that in CA. And there are like 3 water parks in LA and they are all pretty bad imo. A killer, well themed volcano or mountainous waterpark would be awsome imo.
There are 5 water parks.
Knott's Soak City
Magic Mountain's Hurricane Harbor
Raging Waters
Wild Rivers
Great Wolf Lodge

Four out of five of them are within 20 miles or less of Disneyland.

J4546

There are 5 water parks.
Knott's Soak City
Magic Mountain's Hurricane Harbor
Raging Waters
Wild Rivers
Great Wolf Lodge

Four out of five of them are within 20 miles or less of Disneyland.
yeah but I think they are all pretty bad and unthemed.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

I am going to wager a bet that the "Beyond Big Thunder Mountain" expansion IPs from WDW: Coco, Encanto, and the Villains land will make their way to DLR as part of DL Forward. Coco and Encanto will go in DCA in the parking lot next to Pixar Piet while Villains will go In Disneyland proper.

SSG

It's going to be fascinating to see what happens to Toy Story. It's a 70-odd acre blank canvass. I get that Disney Forward is about gaining zoning flexibility so the resort can do as it likes with its land, but I think it would border on malpractice to simply make it shopping and dining. Disney is unlikely to get this much contiguous land any time soon. Make the most of it.

BTW, wasn't there a rumor a few years back that Disney owned some of the apartments butting up to Toy Story (lower right side)? @TP2000 , was it you that mentioned that at one point?

Screenshot (25).png

Last edited:

J4546

I could see that becoming a shopping/hotel coplex more than another park, as much as Id rather it be another park. It woulda been so cool if Disney bought GardenWalk a few years ago when it was for sale and then extended the monorail east over harbor connecting to new parking structure, then south through the garden walk and onto the toystory lot for something with direct access via monorail

Nirya

There were rumors that Disney had bought some of the apartments a few years ago. One section of the apartments is also the subject of rumors that the city is planning to eminent domain them as part of their stupid "Extend Autry Way to the Convention Center" plan that they love and everyone else hates.

Even then, I think everyone who talks about doing shopping on that land underestimates just how large it is. As of right now, it's just under the size of DCA (including backstage area), so if they could expand the land even a little bit, they'd be exactly where they need to be for a good-sized third park. It's also why the choice not to buy GardenWalk on the cheap when they had the chance always stood out as short-sighted to me, if only to give Disney a clear corridor between the parks to build something, but considering how they struggle to maintain tenants in DTD, I can see why they wouldn't want to deal with a second version of that.

Consumer

There were rumors that Disney had bought some of the apartments a few years ago. One section of the apartments is also the subject of rumors that the city is planning to eminent domain them as part of their stupid "Extend Autry Way to the Convention Center" plan that they love and everyone else hates.
In a hypothetical world, if Disney were to build a theme park on the Toy Story Lot, it is not impractical for them to build a tunnel running under the park to connect Autry Way to the Convention Center, if the city were to incentivize it.

SSG

This isn't my area but the city taking Toy Story via eminent domain seems like it'd be pretty expensive. The city can take the lot, but would have to pay just compensation. Part of that is figuring out the highest or best use of the property, which may not be the way the property is currently used.

That's very simplified, but you can see how that would add up. The city would be taking a potential theme park from Disney. No doubt Disney would tie that up in court for eons.

Nirya

This isn't my area but the city taking Toy Story via eminent domain seems like it'd be pretty expensive. The city can take the lot, but would have to pay just compensation. Part of that is figuring out the highest or best use of the property, which may not be the way the property is currently used.

That's very simplified, but you can see how that would add up. The city would be taking a potential theme park from Disney. No doubt Disney would tie that up in court for eons.
The city was never going to take the parking lot via eminent domain. They wanted to get the apartments that stand in the way, and then negotiate with Disney. Again, extending Autry Way was a dumb city idea that no one else really seems to want.

SSG

The city was never going to take the parking lot via eminent domain. They wanted to get the apartments that stand in the way, and then negotiate with Disney. Again, extending Autry Way was a dumb city idea that no one else really seems to want.
Gotcha, and I see where my post was unclear. My point was if Disney owns those apartments and wanted to fold the land into a Toy Story development, then it would be pricy for the City to take them.

Nirya

Gotcha, and I see where my post was unclear. My point was if Disney owns those apartments and wanted to fold the land into a Toy Story development, then it would be pricy for the City to take them.
Yeah, pretty weird that the noise about the city wanting to eminent domain those apartments happened to die down a couple years ago as well!

That said, I'd guess that Disney doesn't own those apartments at the moment, but has made their intentions to buy them known to the people that matter and has also made it clear to the city that they are not planning to give up its own real estate for that road, which would be enough to get the city to back down on that particular dream. And if I also had to guess, I would bet that any actual development of the Toy Story lot into anything other than its current use is at least a decade away.

TP2000

BTW, wasn't there a rumor a few years back that Disney owned some of the apartments butting up to Toy Story (lower right side)? @TP2000 , was it you that mentioned that at one point?

I probably did.

Back in the 2010's, TDA's favorite third-party realtor up on Lincoln Avenue was piecing together a deal on at least two of those apartment complexes for Disney.

The problem back then was how to prevent Anaheim's idiotic plan to extend 8 lanes of Gene Autry Way through that land, while simultaneously removing over a hundred units of "affordable" housing, which in Anaheim at the time was the third rail of politics..

It was a tough needle to thread politically, and it didn't help that this was also when Michael Colglazier was doing his best to ruin the 60 years of goodwill Disney had with Anaheim's City Hall by simply being Michael Colglazier.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom