Disneyland vs. WDW loyalty: What are the reasons you don't visit the other park?

tirian

I’m not missing out. I can’t miss out on something I have no experience of. I’ve got Disneyland up the street, and I go there just a few times a year with my AP. There are also many other Disney experiences in California that I can do besides Disneyland. Basically, I’ve got options and these tie me over until I decide to get to Orlando.

I didn’t say I never want to visit WDW. I said I don’t currently have any interest to go soon. I will be graduating with my masters degree next May. I’m saving money each week for a trip to Italy as a graduation gift to myself, hopefully for a one month stay. Italy vs. Orlando/WDW....hmmm... Definitely going with the former.

WDW is on my list. Just not within the next year or two.
I love the nostalgic scale at DL; and a few attractions — namely, Pirates, Indy, and Space* — are so much better than Florida’s versions that every Disney fan should visit California for those alone.

* The FX, soundtrack, and maintenance are better in Cali; the show building, small rockets, and track layout are better at the original in FL.

Mouse Trap

I live 25 minutes from WDW, but will gladly spend my money and time at DL over WDW.

Talk about "size" and "grandness" all you want, but just about everything WDW does DL does it better. Overall maintenance and show quality, food quality, FP, etc. The ride selection between Disneyland and CA is up-to-par with WDW, but WDW does definitely win out on shows though. Being a local's park makes Disneyland far more enjoyable as well as there's much more of a chill vibe MOST times. Plus the weather in Cali is so much more enjoyable than here in FL.

I also always get the vibe people at Disneyland care a little bit more as well, which is nice.

correcaminos

I've been to both but I do WDW more often. It's closer. I'm DVC and can more easily get a room there vs DLR with points. I have family in FL I can visit as well. It's more of a relaxing destination for us. DLR is a shorter trip which isn't as appealing when you have so far to travel.

I do like WDW more than DLR. I dislike seeing and hearing the outside world so easily. I guess you can say I see why Walt wanted WDW too.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I actually PREFER the feel of Disneyland to WDW - it's more intimate and I can feel Walt's presence there.

HOWEVER...

I hate Southern California - the traffic, the people, etc. Plus Disneyland is ALWAYS super-crowded with locals who feel entitled that it's "their park"

mrp4352

Another money here - the DVC point cost for California is really high - to the point that I can't justify using points over paying cash to stay offsite in California. But it's hard to pay cash for a hotel room when I can use my points in Florida. Especially when you have to add transportation on top!

spock8113

I live on the right, Disneyland is on the left.
Pirates @ DLand is much better than MK.
I like the idea that DLand is the original which makes it unique.
WDW is bigger, by 3 parks and they're spoiling the scenery with megolthic Vegas-style hotels.

Crazydisneygirl

I have been to both. Disneyland far more times due to cost as I live on the west coast. I have been to DL a dozen times and WDW three times (just this past September). I think for me DL has a special feeling plus I can fly down in a few hours, stay at a Best Western, spend 3 days and feel I have done everything. Due to cost of flight we usually go to WDW for 11 days to see all including Universal. I expect I will go to both again. They each have their place. I think DL is great for little kids and WDW for bigger kids (adults included).

Wendy Pleakley

I've done both. Lately I've gravitated towards Orlando for a couple of reasons:

Ability to stay on site "within the magic" at an affordable price.

Tends to be a more relaxing trip, and it's nice to spend up to two weeks hanging out, and feeling it's justified. In Anaheim, it's rarer to stay in a hotel that one wants to spend a lot of time at just hanging out so it tends to be a short and busy trip.

Disneyland really seems to be more crowded and geared towards locals. As an out-of-town visitor, I feel like WDW is geared more to me, with the early dining and Fastpass access granted to those who stay in a Disney resort.

Larger variety of non-Disney attractions nearby. For my next trip I'll be spending five nights at Universal. If I'm only staying at Disney, Universal is still just a $15 Uber ride away, whereas in California it's far less convenient, and offers less than its' Florida counterpart.

I enjoy the variety of food options at WDW. There's not much variety at Disneyland.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I really want to ask, how do people demonstrate this entitlement? I get a lot of entitlement from annual passholders in Florida. I mean, I assume so, I can never really tell.

the passholes in FL are just as bad but are fewer in number (IMO)- but the majority of daily DL guests are passholes.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Is it just me, or does Disneyland tend to preserve their classic rides better than WDW? I get the feeling that this is true because more locals visit there and if something like Mr. Toad is taken away Disney has a few more people to answer to than at WDW where a person can come from Japan once in his life and never again. Just my observation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom