News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

el_super

Ironically, trying to make the ride or anything related to the movie (especially the Princess branded stuff) less scary also makes it less Disney than before.

Yeah, but Disney also had a tradition of listening to guests and offering experiences families can enjoy. There's nothing wrong with saying that something is TOO scary and needs to be toned down. The ride is still scary, but yeah, maybe the skeletons were a little TOO much.

Something to keep in mind, and something Tony would have been very aware of, is the context that Snow White was always being considered for replacement due to complaints and low attendance.

EPCOTCenterLover

Yeah, but Disney also had a tradition of listening to guests and offering experiences families can enjoy. There's nothing wrong with saying that something is TOO scary and needs to be toned down. The ride is still scary, but yeah, maybe the skeletons were a little TOO much.

Something to keep in mind, and something Tony would have been very aware of, is the context that Snow White was always being considered for replacement due to complaints and low attendance.
I agree but this thinking also led us from the excellent and so scary its funny / so funny its scary Alien Encounter to that disaster with Stitch. Such a loss!

EPCOTCenterLover

For me, I'll ride Snow White once or twice to see it and later on, only if there's a short line and time allows. I mean, we're not talking any of the big E Tickets on the west side of the park.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Side by side comparison:

I broke down and watched the videos. I'm weak.

I'm not going to join the like/dislike convo as I want to wait until I can ride it in person a couple of times before reviewing, but I did notice something from this video (the left/new side is taken from 's video) that isn't in any other videos I've seen so far.

Just after turning left at Dopey with the jewels in his eyes, most videos either keep the camera straight to focus on Doc or tilt right to show the animation of Grumpy picking at the stone (tap tap tap). In this video, they looked left (0:40) and there appears to be a long tunnel effect in the wall. It's nothing spectacular or anything, but they probably did something like this so that they didn't extend into the adjacent building (BBB).

1619716844588.png

brihow

I'm not going to join the like/dislike convo as I want to wait until I can ride it in person a couple of times before reviewing, but I did notice something from this video (the left/new side is taken from *****'s video) that isn't in any other videos I've seen so far.

Just after turning left at Dopey with the jewels in his eyes, most videos either keep the camera straight to focus on Doc or tilt right to show the animation of Grumpy picking at the stone (tap tap tap). In this video, they looked left (0:40) and there appears to be a long tunnel effect in the wall. It's nothing spectacular or anything, but they probably did something like this so that they didn't extend into the adjacent building (BBB).

View attachment 553048
Yea I noticed that too!- I would love to see a better shot of that tunnel illusion - I just love stuff like that and would also like to know if that's how it is done :)

Professortango1

I'm not going to join the like/dislike convo as I want to wait until I can ride it in person a couple of times before reviewing, but I did notice something from this video (the left/new side is taken from *****'s video) that isn't in any other videos I've seen so far.

View attachment 553048

Its an infinity tunnel and much more simple than your diagram. Its essentially a frame with one way glass on the outside from the audience perspective and mirrored glass on the inside with a light source. The two mirrors reflect one another into infinity.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Its an infinity tunnel and much more simple than your diagram. Its essentially a frame with one way glass on the outside from the audience perspective and mirrored glass on the inside with a light source. The two mirrors reflect one another into infinity.

While that effect is cool, I have to respectfully disagree with the effect being that for a couple of reasons.

1. That effect just repeats an area over and over and it's clear in the video there is no repetition and there are distinct elements in the tunnel all the way down like a lantern and a mine cart(?), the jewels don't repeat their pattern, and there's a back wall.

2. The infinity effect dies quickly...meaning if you look at the video you posted the effect dies off by 6 repeats.

Until either a better video comes along or I can see it in person, I feel my original mirror explanation seems more logical in this case. Here is a slightly better resolution photo similar to what MisterPenguin posted, but from the original video:

1619723140537.png

KIGhostGuy

Skeletons are too scary? What do you think is inside your body??

Professortango1

While that effect is cool, I have to respectfully disagree with the effect being that for a couple of reasons.

1. That effect just repeats an area over and over and it's clear in the video there is no repetition and there are distinct elements in the tunnel all the way down like a lantern and a mine cart(?), the jewels don't repeat their pattern, and there's a back wall.

2. The infinity effect dies quickly...meaning if you look at the video you posted the effect dies off by 6 repeats.

Until either a better video comes along or I can see it in person, I feel my original mirror explanation seems more logical in this case. Here is a slightly better resolution photo similar to what MisterPenguin posted, but from the original video:

View attachment 553080
Yeah, after the screenshots were posted, I do agree that its not an infinity mirror. I'm still not sure it uses mirror as it looks like a miniature using forced perspective, but that's just my personal take on it from the limited view.

J4546

its a pretty cool affect, i kinda wish there were more pointed all over the place though to make the mine seem more massive

Castle Cake Apologist

Yeah, after the screenshots were posted, I do agree that its not an infinity mirror. I'm still not sure it uses mirror as it looks like a miniature using forced perspective, but that's just my personal take on it from the limited view.

From the little bit of it we've been able to see, it looks like there's more at play than just forced perspective. It definitely looks like glass is involved somehow, to me at least. I could be way off though, it's really hard to get a good look at it.

Honestly, this little tunnel has fascinated me since I saw it in one of the first videos that got posted, and it keeps driving me INSANE that nobody is pointing their camera over there!

waltography

From the little bit of it we've been able to see, it looks like there's more at play than just forced perspective. It definitely looks like glass is involved somehow, to me at least.

Honestly, this little tunnel has fascinated me since I first saw it in one of the first videos that got posted, and it keeps driving me INSANE that nobody is pointing their camera over there!
In their defense, it's quite an unexpected place to expect an effect like this - the cart zips past it so quickly, plus it's like the first thing after you make a tight left turn when your focus was initially on Dopey to the right.

Castle Cake Apologist

In their defense, it's quite an unexpected place to expect an effect like this - the cart zips past it so quickly, plus it's like the first thing after you make a tight left turn when your focus was initially on Dopey to the right.

Oh, I agree! I just wish somebody who knew about it being there would ride and point over there lol. Whatever it is must look pretty cool in person, because the videos I've seen that do show it always seem to include the person that's filming snapping their camera over there like it really caught their eye and they wanted to capture it.

Castle Cake Apologist

I just realized that the Scary Adventures side is slowed way down in that side by side video in order to match the two rides up to see the changed scenes together. Here's a real time side by side that really shows how much slower it moves now... it's significantly different. You're approaching the throne room in SWSA before you're hardly halfway through the mine in SWEW!

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Here are a couple more videos I found that include that tunnel that were posted within the last 18 hours. Neither of them has any better resolution, but it's something. (The people in the second one are annoying, so watch at your own risk lol)

And a bonus (which doesn't show that shaft), an 8K wide-screen low-light video. It's too bright though and you see more than you should, but the wide-angle lets you see more of the sets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom