News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

Professortango1

It’s a similar thing with the dozens upon dozens of “safe for work” Disney cartoons they haven’t added, or have in certain countries but not others.

I don’t think there’s a reason beyond them not seeing value in the effort (despite putting stranger, more obscure stuff on the platform).

“The Martins and the Coys” is sometimes speculated as a reason, but it was censored from the video release. Why not upload that? It’s better than nothing.
I'm still waiting for Something Wicked This Way Comes.

mickEblu

Not looking to start another one of those discussions, if you know what I mean, but I believe there ought to be an appropriate venue dedicated for showcasing problematic American 20th century films produced by Disney and other studios in their original format - with context of course. Sweeping the ugliness under the rug and subsequently not confronting it head on is one of the many reasons why we haven't made more progress with systemic racism, sexism, etc.

I say we start with keeping Splash Mountain open. What say you?

SuddenStorm

Not looking to start another one of those discussions, if you know what I mean, but I believe there ought to be an appropriate venue dedicated for showcasing problematic American 20th century films produced by Disney and other studios in their original format - with context of course. Sweeping the ugliness under the rug and subsequently not confronting it head on is one of the many reasons why we haven't made more progress with systemic racism, sexism, etc.

In the past, Disney's had premium home video releases geared towards collectors and adults, not children. The Walt Disney Treasures line is probably the most notable, and despite being DVD they still command high resale values. They featured premium metal packaging and loads of extras.

1610407191212.png

There were two Disneyland ones, both of which were awesome and helped spark my interest in the park in my youth-

1610407230237.png
1610407247263.png

Now with 4K UHD discs, which are often limited by the resolution of the masters and quality of the film scan not the disc itself it's theoretically possible to re release many classic Disney shorts and films with close to perfect video quality. An updated and modern version of this line, with physical releases at a higher price point is the perfect venue to release anything that might be considered problematic as well as remastered pieces that have only been released at low resolution/bitrates in the past.

D

Deleted member 107043

An updated and modern version of this line, with physical releases at a higher price point is the perfect venue to release anything that might be considered problematic as well as remastered pieces that have only been released at low resolution/bitrates in the past.

Agreed. This, in addition to a streaming portal (on Disney+?) specifically dedicated to the content you described, would be ideal.

Brer Oswald

In the past, Disney's had premium home video releases geared towards collectors and adults, not children. The Walt Disney Treasures line is probably the most notable, and despite being DVD they still command high resale values. They featured premium metal packaging and loads of extras.

View attachment 523495

There were two Disneyland ones, both of which were awesome and helped spark my interest in the park in my youth-

View attachment 523496 View attachment 523497

Now with 4K UHD discs, which are often limited by the resolution of the masters and quality of the film scan not the disc itself it's theoretically possible to re release many classic Disney shorts and films with close to perfect video quality. An updated and modern version of this line, with physical releases at a higher price point is the perfect venue to release anything that might be considered problematic as well as remastered pieces that have only been released at low resolution/bitrates in the past.
For what it’s worth, I watched these as a child, and they were of huge educational benefit to me.

The introductions to the “problematic” cartoons were my entry point, at a very young age mind you, into learning about the racism of the era, and why it was wrong. It is because of this that the argument “Disney cannot be educational” is such a foolish one to me.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
How does one avoid “book report” rides? Basing a ride around one scene is a good idea.
Festival of the Lion King and Frozen Ever After base their attractions on a party that takes place after the events of the film.

Smugglers Run and Rise of the Resistance tell brand new stories in the same universe as the film.

Nemo the Musical adds a musical to the story: Good. Nemo the ride attempts to do a book report and fails utterly at being a book report: Bad. Ditto for Little Mermaid.

Buzz Lightyear and Toy Story Mania create a game out of their IP. One puts you into the background of one of the characters, the other is the Toys making up their own games. Slinky Dog and Alien Swirl simply ride-ify the IPs.

Brer Oswald

I simply do not understand why so many people think Finding Nemo: the Musical is good.

Yeah, the puppets are cool. But not everything needs to be a musical. And essentially every song is "here is a moment from the film, but we're singing a bad song while we're doing it, 'cuz musical!"
angry simon cowell GIF
I think Penguin's point is that it is much better at retelling the story from the film...which makes sense considering it is a 40 minute show rather than a 3 minute dark ride with a two hour film plot shoehorned in.

I have no issue with attractions that give a "book report retelling" of a story from a film...provided that it does something to create a unique experience from just watching the film, and that someone who has never watched the film can still follow the story they are trying to retell.

Brer Panther

How does one avoid “book report” rides? Basing a ride around one scene is a good idea.
As I've said before, I feel a "book report" ride COULD work if you immerse the riders into the story instead of just having them off to the side watching it unfold a la Little Mermaid. Basically what @Brer Oswald said.
I think Penguin's point is that it is much better at retelling the story from the film...which makes sense considering it is a 40 minute show rather than a 3 minute dark ride with a two hour film plot shoehorned in.
Speaking of penguins, I love that joke with the penguins. That's the best thing to come out of that show by far.

ToTBellHop

As I've said before, I feel a "book report" ride COULD work if you immerse the riders into the story instead of just having them off to the side watching it unfold a la Little Mermaid. Basically what @Brer Oswald said.

Speaking of penguins, I love that joke with the penguins. That's the best thing to come out of that show by far.
Peter Pan’s Flight has always enchanted me. Loved it when I was 5. Still love it for what it is.

PiratesMansion

I have no issue with attractions that give a "book report retelling" of a story from a film...provided that it does something to create a unique experience from just watching the film, and that someone who has never watched the film can still follow the story they are trying to retell.
My issue isn't that the show does a book report storytelling. That's exactly what people expect, and especially in a branded theme park environment there's nothing wrong with that (so long as that's not the only kind of entertainment available). My main issue isn't even the script or the actual production of the show (though neither are great). It is primarily adding songs to a story that was originally designed without them, particularly when the original source material in question is a ~90 minute animated film.

It almost never works, and the only time it does is when the creative team looks at the source material from another angle, and/or is trying to say something new or deeper about the original work or characters.

Too often, though, it turns into "take this moment from a property you love, but now it's a song." Almost never a good one either (if "Big Blue World wasn't in the Nemo ride at Epcot, would anyone know it? Are people going to remember the other songs at all? Not likely). That, regretably, is Nemo in a nutshell.

Now, Disney is not the only company that has ever done this, but it is a personal pet peeve. It's precisely what people who hate musicals imagine them to be like. I would rate the show much higher if the songs (that add nothing except length) were removed, but even then it would hardly be as exceptional as people proclaim it to be. .

Last edited:

Brer Panther

Peter Pan’s Flight has always enchanted me. Loved it when I was 5. Still love it for what it is.
Actually, doesn't Peter Pan's Flight kind of qualify as a book report ride? I mean, it loosely follows the story of the movie - Darling Kids are visited by Peter Pan, they fly over London, they go to Neverland, pirates shoot a cannon at somebody, Indians, mermaids, Lost Boys, Peter Pan and Captain Hook duel after the pirates capture the kids, Peter wins and takes control of the ship, Hook deals with Mr. Crocodile...

Then again, by that logic shouldn't Snow White qualify as one too?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom