News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

George Lucas on a Bench

Replacing the dwarf cliff scene with Prince Whoever which looks like it won't even be a mannequin but probably a screen, is an absolutely atrocious change.

You are literally looking at "Conceptual Art" for replacing a scene of 7 dwarfs mannequins with a screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

mandelbrot

Hate to break it to you but this piece of concept art looks awfully similar to a certain scene.
View attachment 498267. View attachment 498268

This is definitely an unpopular opinion, but Snow White's Scary Adventures is my personal favorite Fantasyland dark ride. I'm really nervous about this retheme, I just have the feeling the new final scenes are going to feel drastically different than the rest of the attraction. But as long as they keep the evil queen transformation scene & the dark forest with the trees scene intact I'm ok.
Well I share your unpopular opinion. I loved the dark tone of the ride and I'm not confident that whatever they do will be an improvement.

Disneylover152

Well I share your unpopular opinion. I loved the dark tone of the ride and I'm not confident that whatever they do will be an improvement.

Yeah, I like that they are updating the new ride, as I (again, unpopular opinion) really like when they change things in Disney Parks. I don't always like the new ride/area, but I like things changing up every once in a while. I am not confident that the new refurb ride will be better than the 1983 version, but I am just really glad they are keeping the ride and making it less scary versus just making it into a meet and greet or a shop or something.

bshah365

Replacing the midget cliff scene with Prince Whoever which looks like it won't even be a mannequin but probably a screen, is an absolutely atrocious change.

You are literally looking at "Conceptual Art" for replacing a scene of 7 midget mannequins with a screen.
We aren't "literally looking at "Conceptual Art" for replacing a scene... with a screen". That's what you're speculating. The truth is we don't know for sure. But I doubt any characters will be screens considering they need the new scenes to match the same style/feel of the rest of the attraction. I'm guessing there will def be projection mapping to add animation to the background just as the old cliff finale had.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I always felt Snow White's Scary Adventures was sorely misunderstood. To me, it was always a story about the Evil Queen, not Snow White. It starts off with her spying on Snow White and the dwarves, then her creating the poison apple and asking you 500 times if you want it, then eventually ends with her demise in the cliff scene. If you see it as Snow White's story then yeah, the ending doesn't make sense because it comes out of the blue. As in, why are we being told Snow White and the Prince live happily ever after if we don't have vested interest in their story? But if it's the Queen's story and you see her die at the end, then "They Lived Happily Ever After" could just be more general in meaning. Without the Evil Queen, the kingdom lives happier.

That's how I rationalize the ending anyway. ;)

swge

"Major facelift" is an understatement

This attraction was completely reworked to reach its absolute greatest potential.

Think the classic original, Florida mine train, and Paris dark ride had a technologically advanced baby

I say was bc the attraction is complete and is just undergoing animation/cycling tests at the moment. If testing continues to go well, it is expected to open with the park whenever that is....

The ride definitely got the Alice facelift, with new projections/lighting to add animation around the entire attraction such as birds etc.
But Disney also took this opportunity to completely rework the whole attraction experience... changing entire scenes from the ground up and even adding great additions to the already accepted and beloved scenes throughout.

Yes, the attraction will get re-branded most likely just taking "scary" out of the name.

But taking the scary out of this ride wasn't the only objective...

The dwarfs on the cliff have been moved to a different part of the attraction apparently (don't know if I believe that as I can't think of a single space that could fit all of them and still make sense w the story)

The mine scene has been completely redone w new jewels, sets, props, and dwarf figures including the iconic Dopey with his diamond eyes seen in mine train in Florida

the Queen transformation scene is still in but the dungeon after has been redone removing the gargoyles and potentially other props that were scarier than needed to be

the hag still remains with her apple behind the cauldron but her apple doesn't turn into a skull anymore and there will be added skull animations here apparently.

Everything after this has been completely redone

No more hag on her boat offering apples

No more scary forest

No scary hag surprise ending w the holographic hand

No scary rainy cliff w the hag death scene

You'll now enter a beautiful lush green forest with flowers, animals, and a sleeping Snow White figure being kissed by her Prince behind a scrim which I'm guessing will be used for projection animation

The finale will be Snow and Ferdinand waving goodbye on a cliff with woodland creatures wishing guests farewell (similar to Paris but less creepy)

While yes there will be lots of projections, they're only there to add animation onto already existing physical pieces. Nobody is getting replaced by flat screens so we can all return to our benches and relax again ;)

However, while we are getting a lot of new characters, I personally believe that all the new additions won't be crazy audio animatronics but will be static figures..

Also the audio for the whole attraction has been redone and remastered

Written above aren't all of the additions implemented to the attraction but just the notable ones.. expect more nitty gritty details at a later time.

For reasons, this does not come from any source and should not be taken as fact. Just pure speculation. ❤

BayouShack

I can’t imagine that ending not being boring and lifeless. What kid wants to ride a bench through a forest and watch two people snogging?

Gone will be my (second, after the witch’s transformation) favorite scene from the ride. The music is so great, and it’s capturing an iconic moment from the movie. Maybe they should edit this scene out from the film as well? It’s pretty scary.

I can’t say I’m surprised. This is about what I expected. I’m just disappointed. It sounds like they’ve stripped away all the drama and turned it into something more like that dreadful mermaid ride, taking you past Disney Store window displays.

I’m sure these new scenes will be lit nice and bright so the blogger brigade can take instagrams of the cute new additions imagineers have cooked up!

Last edited:

mickEblu

This attraction was completely reworked to reach its absolute greatest potential.

Think the classic original, Florida mine train, and Paris dark ride had a technologically advanced baby

I say was bc the attraction is complete and is just undergoing animation/cycling tests at the moment. If testing continues to go well, it is expected to open with the park whenever that is....

The ride definitely got the Alice facelift, with new projections/lighting to add animation around the entire attraction such as birds etc.
But Disney also took this opportunity to completely rework the whole attraction experience... changing entire scenes from the ground up and even adding great additions to the already accepted and beloved scenes throughout.

Yes, the attraction will get re-branded most likely just taking "scary" out of the name.

The dwarfs on the cliff have been moved to a different part of the attraction apparently (don't know if I believe that as I can't think of a single space that could fit all of them and still make sense w the story)

The mine scene has been completely redone w new jewels, sets, props, and dwarf figures including the iconic Dopey with his diamond eyes seen in mine train in Florida

the Queen transformation scene is still in but the dungeon after has been redone removing the gargoyles and potentially other props that were scarier than needed to be

the hag still remains with her apple behind the cauldron but her apple doesn't turn into a skull anymore and there will be added skull animations here apparently.

No more scary forest

You'll now enter a beautiful lush green forest with flowers, animals, and a sleeping Snow White figure being kissed by her Prince behind a scrim which I'm guessing will be used for projection animation

The finale will be Snow and Ferdinand waving goodbye on a cliff with woodland creatures wishing guests farewell (similar to Paris but less creepy)

While yes there will be lots of projections, they're only there to add animation onto already existing physical pieces. Nobody is getting replaced by flat screens so we can all return to our benches and relax again ;)

However, while we are getting a lot of new characters, I personally believe that all the new additions won't be crazy audio animatronics but will be static figures..

Written above aren't all of the additions implemented to the attraction but just the notable ones.. expect more nitty gritty details at a later time.

For reasons, this does not come from any source and should not be taken as fact. Just pure speculation. ❤

So basically the Alice in Wonderland upgrade but if they decided to move all of the a Wonderland scenes and have the whole ride take place in the real world with her mom and cat by the brook.

This is about what I expected. Visual upgrades but a more cookie cutter ride with way less drama/ suspense. I figured most of the Forrest would be gone to accommodate the new scenes and hopefully the moves cliff scene.

George Lucas on a Bench

Maybe they'll actually give it a proper ending that isn't just a book that says "And they lived happily ever after".

My biggest fear is that, they remove too much of the "scary" parts out of Snow White's Scary Adventures. If they do have to trim anything to get a happy ending scene, I'm hoping its the mines (assuming that this is a top to bottom re-do).

These two jinxed this entire thing from the start. Ban them.

Sharon&Susan

These two jinxed this entire thing from the start. Ban them.
Hey!

But seriously. Was really hoping that they’d move the scary forest to where the mine is, IMO the mine hurt the pacing more than the awkward ending, with it sidetracking from the main Queen conflict just so that the riders can see some nice visuals. Shame that instead they doubled down on it, just so we can have a few more vignettes of the dwarves doing silly things.

Also on the topic of bad pacing, the length of Snow White is around a minute and 45 seconds. You exit the Queen’s castle at around 1 minute and 10 seconds, leaving 35 seconds for the rest of the ride. If the happy ending does indeed start after you exit the castle, that means a solid 1/3rd of the ride is spent on the new ending!

For context, it’s longer than Daring Journey’s 25 second ending and Snow White is a shorter ride than Pinocchio.

Last edited:

Phroobar

I can’t imagine that ending not being boring and lifeless. What kid wants to ride a bench through a forest and watch two people snogging?

Gone will be my (second, after the witch’s transformation) favorite scene from the ride. The music is so great, and it’s capturing an iconic moment from the movie. Maybe they should edit this scene out from the film as well? It’s pretty scary.

I can’t say I’m surprised. This is about what I expected. I’m just disappointed. It sounds like they’ve stripped away all the drama and turned it into something more like that dreadful mermaid ride, taking you past Disney Store window displays.

I’m sure these new scenes will be lit nice and bright so the blogger brigade can take instagrams of the cute new additions imagineers have cooked up!

So basically Snow White is on a acid trip as she runs through the woods.

Animaniac93-98

No more scary forest

Sounds lame.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom