Disneyland "Sunsetting" annual passes, WDW next?

Indy_UK

As much as we all love Disney, i have to agree when people say that Passholders 'say' they are keeping the company afloat while actually being one of the lowest contributors. I did it myself when i had a DLP Annual pass.

Maybe over the years, everything has become just way to complicated at WDW with so many annual pass tiers, Dining plan, magic band, fastpass+ system that maybe a lot of this needs to go and be more like the older days?

TrainsOfDisney

As much as we all love Disney, i have to agree when people say that Passholders 'say' they are keeping the company afloat while actually being one of the lowest contributors
Idk... 5-8 visits per year (hotels, dining Merch.) has got to add up to something. Plus the $1200 per year on a pass vs. $600 every 1-4 years for an average guest.

I’m not saying they are keeping the parks afloat, but they are definitely contributing Uncle Scrooge’s vault.

Indy_UK

Idk... 5-8 visits per year (hotels, dining Merch.) has got to add up to something. Plus the $1200 per year on a pass vs. $600 every 1-4 years for an average guest.

I’m not saying they are keeping the parks afloat, but they are definitely contributing Uncle Scrooge’s vault.

Maybe for more out of state guests? It does make alot more sense for Disneyland for it to go

GusEzra

I certainly think this is a sign of what’s to come in Florida. Whatever new membership program is rolled out in California will most likely be copied for Florida.
I can't think it would WDW is a different beast and if you look at the make up of Passholders I bet there are way more out of state passholders at WDW than at DL , These out of state passholders are the bread and butter of passholders they only have the 2 highest tier options of passes, no monthly pay option, to get value out of your pass you need to plan 2 fairly long trips with in a year Most of these type passholders buy into that, but I'm curious how many actually go enough to get the value. If family of 4 from Missouri buys AP at just over 4 grand and ends up only making it to the parks once that seems like a pretty lucrative business. It takes work to get your moneys worth out of that WDW AP.

ppete1975

I can't think it would WDW is a different beast and if you look at the make up of Passholders I bet there are way more out of state passholders at WDW than at DL , These out of state passholders are the bread and butter of passholders they only have the 2 highest tier options of passes, no monthly pay option, to get value out of your pass you need to plan 2 fairly long trips with in a year Most of these type passholders buy into that, but I'm curious how many actually go enough to get the value. If family of 4 from Missouri buys AP at just over 4 grand and ends up only making it to the parks once that seems like a pretty lucrative business. It takes work to get your moneys worth out of that WDW AP.
youre probably staying at a hotel on site as well. I dont think its the go a few times a month or year people they are trying to reduce.

splashtest

We are out of state passholders. We were just allowed to repurchase a Gold Pass (DVC) 2 weeks ago. We will get at least two 9 night trips out of these, with maybe another few days in 2022. $749 ish each. An 8 day hopper run $642 so we see it as a significant savings. We usually never renew, because then we would lose $$ on that renewal and only get 1 trip out of the deal. We let the pass go and repurchase in the fall and get another 3 trips out of that cycle.

coasterphil

Now that they have conglomerated the two biggies (Epic and Ikon) have over 1 million annual passholders. There is nothing else in North America I can think of that has a million annual pass holders - so that's why I keep coming back to the comparison.

It's also a good comparison because I know that at least one of those two thinks about their passholders in a very similar way to DL. They absolutely love the gaudy guarenteed revenue, which is even more important on the ski side given that weather can wipe out the season, but they hate that those folks negatively impact the experiences of those paying much much more for their vacations/day visits and that the big crowd photos that spread during high seasons scare more of those types of guests away.

I know DL has been trying to figure out the AP problem for well over a decade and it's no secret that the folks on the operations side absolutely despise how big the number of passholders has gotten. There's not even close to the same AP impact in WDW, so that's why you don't hear the same amount of vitriol there.

BrianLo

I beg to differ. I think Knott's is a competitor to DLR

I meant in terms of direct impact on pricing. Disney doesn’t really seem to be connected to anything Knott’s does pricing wise. Knotts is waaaayyy cheaper and yet cannot attract the same loyalty

They do seem to be impacted somewhat by Universal (more in Orlando though).

I know you are a coaster fan and we are talking about AP’s, but knotts is still a regional park. I guess that doesn’t mean they aren’t competitors but my point is they aren’t in the same league (and I’ve been to Knotts - which is probably not that common considering the specificity of this forum).

EPCOT-O.G.

having processed this over the last day my general feeling is that with the protracted closure, uncertain opening date, and no idea of the sort of capacity/operational restrictions they would be laboring under once open, killing off the AP was almost a no-brainer. Logistically, I am not sure how they could operate fully (or honor existing AP guests) in a profitable way. Given that, it’s also an opportunity to recalibrate the program and maximize the dollar per visitor on a daily basis.

MurphyJoe

I could easily see a new type of annual pass that has a limit on the total number of days you can use it. That would allow people who want to go regularly in non-consecutive periods to have an option that doesn't involve buying multiple expensive tickets, but could prevent the folks who are going 100+ times in a year.

I wonder if Disney would alter their standard passes so that buyers could get up to 20 or so days and offer an add on which extends out the ticket's expiration to 18 months after purchase; perhaps also offer ticket holders with the 18 month expiration option to add on additional days at a discount. So it's less of an annual pass or no expiration ticket, but still offers a bulk discount.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom