Disneyland Rolls Out New DAS Program

TP2000

Original Poster
Does anyone want to talk about this topic? I'm not sure if we have any regular posters here who are handicapped and who have used the DAS program in the past to bypass waiting in lines, but I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of legitimately disabled people who have used DAS at Disneyland in the past. Apparently they are going to a third-party system where you'll need to get cleared and authorized before Disney will issue you a DAS pass.

This should help cut way down on all the rampant abuse and fraud the DAS program has had for years. Although I'm not sure how you couldn't just game the new third-party system the same way many folks gamed the previous Disney-run system.

Disneyland and Disney World will attempt to rein in the unwieldy Disability Access Service that has bogged down attraction queues and backed up Genie+ lanes as a result of a tripling in usage of the program ripe with misuse and abuse.​

The Disneyland and Walt Disney World resorts updated the Disability Access Service programs on Tuesday, April 9 that offer assistance to theme park visitors with developmental disabilities like autism and other neurodivergent disorders.

The changes go into effect May 20 at the Walt Disney World resort and June 18 at the Disneyland resort with the goal of limiting the Disability Access Service program to only guests who require the services, according to Disneyland officials.

All of Disneyland’s accessibility options will not be available to all guests with disabilities, according to Disneyland officials. Disneyland hopes a wide suite of options will offer solutions for everyone.

The Disability Access Service has become the most widely requested service at the Disneyland and Disney World resorts with the volume of guest usage more than tripling over the last five years, according to Disneyland officials. Disneyland is taking steps to preserve the DAS program now because the trend is only expected to continue.

DAS is intended for Disneyland visitors with a developmental disability like autism who are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time. DAS visitors get a return time through the Disneyland mobile app comparable to the current standby wait time for an attraction.

Disney will continue to operate DAS on both coasts and partner with Inspire Health Alliance on the implementation of the updated programs. During the interview process, Disneyland visitors seeking DAS will be asked about their life experiences but not their disabilities. The program update will require everyone who has an existing DAS pass to reapply.

The sheer number of DAS users today are overwhelming the limited capacity of Disneyland’s infrastructure and bogging down the whole system, leading to backups in the Genie+ Lightning Lane queues shared by DAS guests, according to Disneyland officials. The increased volume of DAS users means longer wait times for guests with disabilities and those who have paid for Genie+ — defeating the purpose of the shorter lines for both groups.

On June 18, Disneyland will move the DAS processing center from guest relations inside the parks to new disability services windows at the ticket booths on the esplanade between the parks. For now, DAS processing will remain at the guest relations desks at Disneyland City Hall and Disney California Adventure’s Chamber of Commerce through June 17.

Visitors who do not qualify for DAS will be directed to other options like Rider Switch passes, Stroller as a Wheelchair tags, Location Return Time passes for older non-ADA compliant queues, wheelchair transfer options, handheld devices for the visually impaired and sign language interpreters.

DAS validation will be good for the length of the daily ticket type or for 120 days for annual passholders.

Nirya

I can't speak to the quality of the organization they're partnering with but the fact that they're doing that at all feels like a step in the right direction when it comes to providing the right accommodations for people rather than the blanket system they have in place now. I'd also assume that the third party will be more discerning as to whether someone has a legitimate disability rather than making something up for a front-of-the-line pass. DAS (and GAC before it) has been rife with abuse that is clearly starting to hit Disney's bottom line (they reference how it is affecting Genie+ lines and making that paid service lesser) so this change feels pretty overdue.

SSG

Predictably, social media is in a lather over this, with hot takes landing in 3 camps:

Those with legit disabilities wondering how this will impact them.

Able bodied folks who think everyone using DAS is a scammer.

People mad that their self-diagnosed issue (I saw 'heat intolerance' and 'germaphobia' mentioned) won't be covered for DAS.

TP2000

Original Poster
People mad that their self-diagnosed issue (I saw 'heat intolerance' and 'germaphobia' mentioned) won't be covered for DAS.

I'm baffled at that, but how am I not surprised? Heat intolerance? That's not a disability, that's just Florida.

It significantly cut down on express use at Universal Orlando when they went to it.

Oh, I didn't know Universal was already doing this. Shame Disney couldn't be the first, but better late than never.

CaptinEO

I know they redid DAS 10ish years ago. Hope the program accommodates those who need it. Interesting how the program tripled after genie+, maybe some made it a fastpass replacement.

celluloid

I'm baffled at that, but how am I not surprised? Heat intolerance? That's not a disability, that's just Florida.

Oh, I didn't know Universal was already doing this. Shame Disney couldn't be the first, but better late than never.

It was finally hurting Genie Plus.

SSG

I think there was a poster here (possibly it was over at MC) several years back who said he was entitled to DAS because he had problems with being patient 🤷‍♂️ . Easy for a well-intentioned system to get out of hand.

shambolicdefending

Not me, but two of my kids have diagnosed genetic developmental disorders that qualify them for DAS.

I am personally happy to see Disney get more strict about this. I think an absurd number of people with self-diagnosed or flatly invented "disabilities" have taken advantage of the program to everyone else's detriment.

I would be more than happy of they went all the way to requiring detailed medical documentation, and everyone I know with a genuine need feels the same. The only people I see against this are those afraid they'll no longer qualify because they probably never should have to begin with.

SplashJacket

They also need to cap DAS usage for the day, except on non-busy days.

DAS is meant to enable guests to experience the parks as they would if it weren't for their disabilities.

Perfectly reasonable and great.

DAS is, however, not Make a Wish.

If the average guest w/o Genie+ rides 6.4 rides and the average Genie+ guest rides 8.9 rides, how does the average DAS guest riding 11.2 rides make sense?

I'm making up numbers, but the point still stands. If the average guest rides 8 rides at DCA and 13 rides in Disneyland, they should cap its usage at 10 per day for DCA and 16 per day at Disneyland except on non-busy days.

DAS has two issues, excessively low barrier of entry (too easy to get) and too much incentive for abuse (it's too good). They've likely now addressed the former as much as possible, now they need to address the latter more thoroughly.

celluloid

DAS is meant to enable guests to experience the parks as they would if it weren't for their disabilities.

If the average guest w/o Genie+ rides 6.4 rides and the average Genie+ guest rides 8.9 rides, how does the average DAS guest riding 11.2 rides make sense?

I'm making up numbers, but the point still stands. If the average guest rides 8 rides at DCA and 13 rides in Disneyland, they should cap its usage at 10 per day for DCA and 16 per day at Disneyland except on non-busy days.

DAS has two issues, excessively low barrier of entry (too easy to get) and too much incentive for abuse (it's too good). They've likely now addressed the former as much as possible, now they need to address the latter more thoroughly.

I see what you mean but that gets difficult with someone who has favorites, or an annual passholder family.

Does their kid not deserve to ride three rides and the fourth one a few times?

If you do the first issue it has enough, the second is not a concern.

Nirya

Theoretically, DAS gave you a return time based on the wait time in the line at that moment, so for the people it was intended for it worked correctly. The problem is people were using it as a version of Fastpass, then also using Genie+ and still waiting in line for other things. It allowed them to essentially triple their access to rides. People abused the system in a way that was not great for everyone else.

I think limiting who has access to DAS will help in this regard, but I'd also look at something like removing Genie+ access for people using the service. Limiting the amount of times you can use it is excessive when you simply need to limit the usage rates.

TP2000

Original Poster
The part I find the most fascinating is that if you get caught lying to get a DAS, they forbid you from every participating in the program again. Get caught lying, and you're banned.

I would imagine that at least half the current DAS users are liars lying about their lies. Perhaps as much as two thirds. Or at the very least, weirdos who think their aversion to temps over 74 degrees in summer makes them special. Or who think their bratty, uncontrolled child is deserving of special treatment when in reality they're just a bratty child with no coping skills.

I imagine we're going to start hearing some really funny stories once people start getting kicked out of the DAS program, or eventually banned for lying about being disabled. Should be fun to watch! 🤣

truecoat

Jeremy Strong Yes GIF by SuccessionHBO

SplashJacket

Theoretically, DAS gave you a return time based on the wait time in the line at that moment, so for the people it was intended for it worked correctly. The problem is people were using it as a version of Fastpass, then also using Genie+ and still waiting in line for other things. It allowed them to essentially triple their access to rides. People abused the system in a way that was not great for everyone else.

I think limiting who has access to DAS will help in this regard, but I'd also look at something like removing Genie+ access for people using the service. Limiting the amount of times you can use it is excessive when you simply need to limit the usage rates.
Waits aren’t created equal. If someone gets a return time for 7DMT, but Ariel is walk-on, how does waiting to get a DAS return time for Ariel change the barrier of entry for those needing accommodations?

DAS, even when used properly and as intended, is excessive.

TP2000

Original Poster
The problems and fraud with DAS occurred because around the turn of the 21st century, being "handicapped" was no longer something people could see with their own eyes.

The ADA was a wonderful triumph of legislation by the Bush I administration 35 years ago, but it mainly dealt with physical accesibility for those in wheelchairs and with canes/walkers and such. And dealt with designs for stairs, ramps, etc.

But now, any boring housewife from OC can present herself at Disneyland's Guest Relations desk and announce that her child is autistic and can't wait in line or be inconvenienced by anything. And legally and socio-culturally, we aren't supposed to challenge her on that. She gets a front of the line pass for her very, very special child and for everyone in her family.

It only takes a few months for that type of offering to become rife with liars and frauds and ne'er do wells. Every kid in Orange County is now autistic, or very, very special, or unable to wait in line at Disneyland. There are even grown adults who have no children who use DAS because they are too impatient to wait in line or are very, very special.

I don't envy TDA trying to deal with these fraudsters and very, very special people. It's a nightmare.

NobodyElse

I imagine we're going to start hearing some really funny stories once people start getting kicked out of the DAS program, or eventually banned for lying about being disabled. Should be fun to watch! 🤣

I'm almost willing to wager that within a year or two, we'll hear the tale of the person banned for cheating, only to later become "qualified" by some unfortunate circumstance and then turned away.

TP2000

Original Poster
I'm almost willing to wager that within a year or two, we'll hear the tale of the person banned for cheating, only to later become "qualified" by some unfortunate circumstance and then turned away.

Wouldn't that be rich? A person gets banned for lying about how they are allergic to the sun, only to be run over by a self-riding lawn mower a year later and confined to a wheelchair for life. But still banned from using the DAS program. :oops:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom