Disneyland Resort to Extend YoaMD?

culturenthrills

And I wish that the 'DISNEY FANS THAT KEEP COMING OVER & OVER & OVER & OVER' would realize that the celebrations are not targeted to them in any way. If you are coming again and again, you don't need the celebration to convince you. Celebrations are for the people who have never been, or come rarely, to convince them that 'now is the time to go.'

So who's the one with the head in the rear?

Yeah, cause those years they had the anniv. celebrations the attendance didn't go up at all. I'm sorry but these marketing celebrations are bogus. Try to globally market both parks with the same celebration does not work cause both resorts have different demographics. The anniv. celebrations were very popular not just with Disney fans.

Lee

Adventurer
Not that I doubt you Lee, but if its really part of the new global celebrations, how come Tokyo can completely ignore it and have their own 5th year anniversary of TDS and all the big events that are going on there currently that have nothing to do with YOMD. As I understand it most of the overseas parks have completely ignored YOMD. So its not really a global celebration either, they just want to pretend that it is.

Eh....TDL does what it wants. I believe Paris is involved, as is Hong Kong....but in less obvious ways than here.

Philo

I like the YoaMD celebration and in someways I hope it goes on for another year (partially so I get another chance at winning something!). It's defines what WDW is - making a day truly special.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
I like the YoaMD celebration and in someways I hope it goes on for another year (partially so I get another chance at winning something!). It's defines what WDW is - making a day truly special.
is a day truly special when it's part of a "year" that will manage to go on for 28 months?

wdwfan22

is a day truly special when it's part of a "year" that will manage to go on for 28 months?

Yes, I believe it is. Only a few of you are counting how long the celebration has been in progress. The majority of our Guests have no idea when it began or when it's going to conclude. It's special because it took place while they were there.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The majority of WDW guests -are- repeat visitors. They are knowledgeable about the property and should never be assumed to be idiots. Patronizing people and insulting their intelligence doesn't create magic.

TP2000

DL's 2nd quarter results were good - really good. As in higher then during the 50th anniversary celebration.

Really? That good? It's been very busy at Disneyland this winter and spring, but I hope they aren't attributing it to the Rockin' promotion.

I would think it had more to do with the fact that SoCal has only had 3 inches of rain in the last six months, and the few hours of rain we got this winter were always on a weekday and never impacted the tradtionally busy weekends. Someone please tell me they realize the extremely dry winter we've had here has a bigger impact on attendance than those plastic Dream Swans in the Castle moat.

And now winter is over and it's statistically impossible for it to rain in SoCal again until November at the very earliest. Pirate's Lair opens in three weeks, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage opens in 5 weeks, then comes the beefed up HalloweenTime promotion that was ridiculously succesful last year, and then the insane frenzy that is Christmas at Disneyland. Barring any major emergency, attendance will only be going up and up from here through the rest of the year for Disneyland.

Please tell me they aren't basing an entire fiscal year decision for all North American Parks & Resorts off the fact that SoCal had an unusually dry winter this year. :confused:

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Well, a Jay Rasulo very keen on preserving his job security could certainly create a flashy PowerPoint presentation to spin it like the attendance increase is his doing...

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I think many people who are "fans" of the YOMD's haven't gone and are under the assumption that they'll win something or that it's any way really visible in the parks aside from some scant decor.

CaptainMichael

I think many people who are "fans" of the YOMD's haven't gone and are under the assumption that they'll win something or that it's any way really visible in the parks aside from some scant decor.

If they extend it to the "Decade of a Million Dreams" surely we'll all at least win something....:lookaroun

"Come celebrate the Decade of a Million Dreams at Disney Parks and save my job."-Jay Rasoulo

kennyj29

Year of a Million Dreams

This celebration to me was more exciting than any other, I have NOT won one single thing but I've seen little kids get to make a Mr. Potatoe Head and display it in the window. I've seen kids get a free Ice Cream Bar and think they couldn't have won anything better. I've seen the tags that people wear around their necks that they have fast pass all day on all the rides for that park and I haven't enjoyed anything more. This celebration is making a lot of people happy, a lot of kids thrilled and to me there can't be anything better. I go to Disney to enjoy Disney, I don't care what they are celebrating, I don't care what they are giving away, I care about Disney and having a great time and feeling like I'm twelve again. Who really cares what's being celebrated. I'm sure Epcot will have some sort of Tshirts, etc. to celebrate their 25th, do you really need a special banner to celebrate it? :shrug:

DisneyWales

Celebration

I have to say the celebrations to me now mean next to nothing.

My first trip was during the 100 years of magic and that was very special to me, to kinda look back at the legacy of Walt etc was very humbling.

Now during the 50th I did get very excited, and was very fortunate to be at the resort for the launch and for the actual 50th of Cali.

However as the 50th came along and as I visited the World more oftern i started to see through the celbrations for what they are.

Unless Disney do something like what the did for 100 years or magic again, i will never go to WDW just for a celebration.

100 years was great they actually educated you about the history of the company, and for me it was a huge eye opener to the history and vision of the company.

The 50th was great.... for Cali, Florida just cashed in on it and it worked.... the YOMD is a nice extra, and thats all these celebrations really are, and extra, Magicall Gathering was just a way for Disney to target another market Group (Large Families) and Disney would have you belive any new attraction is part of the new celebration (Wishes was even linked to Magical Gatherings) it just makes it easy for they to market something.

Do any of us really belive the only reason Sorin' and LMA ONLY came to WDW because of the 50th, no it was because it was an easy way for them to add major rides and bring alot of attention to WDW. Make people feel like they were part of a big celebration because you were riding a ride from California, or watching a show from Japan.

This year your dreams are coming true by swimming under the sea with Nemo and so on.

It just helps them sell stuff easier and more.

Yes we will see Epcot 25th stuff, not because Disney want to celebrate the birthday (well not much) becuase people will buy it.......

Anyway ive talke crap for long enough, just enjoy it for what it is folks, coz in a year or two it will be something else (Magical, or Dreamy or Wishy) its just what Disney does.

Fun2BFree

Why have Disney always gotta go for gimmicks? New rides, shows and experiences will get people to the parks, not lacklustre giveaways. :hurl:

"The Undetermined Period of Time of a Million Dreams!"

Champion

Not that I doubt you Lee, but if its really part of the new global celebrations, how come Tokyo can completely ignore it and have their own 5th year anniversary of TDS and all the big events that are going on there currently that have nothing to do with YOMD. As I understand it most of the overseas parks have completely ignored YOMD. So its not really a global celebration either, they just want to pretend that it is.

Because Tokyo throws a huge budget that isn't from Disney at basically everything it does.

disney9752

And I wish that the 'DISNEY FANS THAT KEEP COMING OVER & OVER & OVER & OVER' would realize that the celebrations are not targeted to them in any way. If you are coming again and again, you don't need the celebration to convince you. Celebrations are for the people who have never been, or come rarely, to convince them that 'now is the time to go.'

So who's the one with the head in the rear?

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY BACK when wdw was celebrating their 15th, it was fun as there was a parde for the 15th, shows, even main street electrical parade had a 15th float at the end, now its a more boring generic campaign. something like how the merchandise has become more bland & generic all the same stuff in all the stores, not so much of the fun special stuff you used 2 find.:(

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY BACK when wdw was celebrating their 15th, it was fun as there was a parde for the 15th, shows, even main street electrical parade had a 15th float at the end, now its a more boring generic campaign. something like how the merchandise has become more bland & generic all the same stuff in all the stores, not so much of the fun special stuff you used 2 find.:(
merchandise really sucks these days...I spend much less on merchandise than I used to. I used to get a new Tower of Terror shirt every visit...now most of the merchandise in the ToT giftshop has nothing to do with the ToT (lot's of it isn't even made by Disney), and the shirts they do have are the same ones they've had for years...pretty sad for Disney. It let's me stay an extra day, though, since I don't need to budget nearly as much for souvenirs anymore...so inevitably, Disney still gets my money haha...but they don't get the free advertisement they'd get from nice t-shirts.

mickeysgal

I went to school for marketing and sadly the best ideas get left behind for saving and making money. I love Disney, but somtimes tend to forget that it is a business. I dislike the "global marketing" strategy, but it saves Disney money and obviously keeps bringing in the cash. Most consumers (not the extrodinary Disney fans on the sites) don't really follow the promotions that closely to notice the difference. For example: The local AAA has been running the same 50th celebration commercial (8 months after the celebration ended) and I'm sure they are still getting calls from consumers wanting to go. I really want to call them and let them know they are wrong, but I kind of chuckle when I see it.

I really think that Jay Rasulo is one of those people that seems to always be in the right place at the right time. The "global" 50th did great, so he spent money on the YoaMD and it seems to be holding it's own. My problem is that travel is picking up in general..and I really think that is driving the decent stats, not the promo. I think Mr Rasulo is going to keep riding the wave until it dies down. I don't like to wish anyone ill will, but I think he'll be seen in a not so flattering light, at some point... and the company will return to it's old marketing campaigns.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom