Disneyland Resort to Extend YoaMD?

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Screamscape reports Disneyland may be extending its Year of a Million Dreams through the end of 2008; it stands to reason that if this happened, WDW would follow suit, which would send a final nail into the coffin of any possible event for Epcot's 25th (and, for that matter, Animal Kingdom's 10th). Unfortunate...

Champion

Did you REALLY have hope for an Epcot celebration still?

Its what, 4 months away? Be glad the park is getting so much TLC regardless of whether or not they put up some "YAY Epcot is 25" banners.

I think they'd be smart to extend YoaMD. A lot of money was invested, keep the celebration around and keep giving stuff away. Save the money from building a new marketing campaign.

WDWFigment

Although this might be tricky since clearly two years is not a single 'year'. Unless Disney lobbies for new definitions of 'year' they may have to modify it somehow...or just ignore that it's gone on for two years. You can't get anything past me!

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Although this might be tricky since clearly two years is not a single 'year'. Unless Disney lobbies for new definitions of 'year' they may have to modify it somehow...or just ignore that it's gone on for two years. You can't get anything past me!
in Neverland, time has no meaning.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
DL's 2nd quarter results were good - really good. As in higher then during the 50th anniversary celebration. So, they're crediting YOMD's and the Rocking both Parks promotion for the success.

Sad reality, most people vistitting DLR have no affection for either of these promotions. They just happen to coincide with a boost in attendance.

Thus both are being pushed to return in 2008. It remains to be seen if WDW will have to suffer the same fate, as AK's 10th was set to be a big promotion, and the two don't gel very well.

JWG

As their own municipality with their own rules and regulations, I'm assuming they also own the definitions of time within their "realm"

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I think that we have probably seen the last of the individual park celebrations. Disney, in its mass marketing frenzy, looks to be focusing on celebrations that can be marketed at multiple parks and both stateside and internationally.

AEfx

I think that we have probably seen the last of the individual park celebrations. Disney, in its mass marketing frenzy, looks to be focusing on celebrations that can be marketed at multiple parks and both stateside and internationally.

I agree. Disneyland's 50th practically got eaten up - just look at all the "celebrating 50 years of Disney Parks" materials; the actual "Disneyland's 50th" was really only promoted locally. I don't expect much for any other park in that climate. It's also not surprising they would want to continue the current promotion, as rumor suggests, as it costs little to nothing for them to produce the vast majority of prizes.

AEfx

JWG

I agree. Disneyland's 50th practically got eaten up - just look at all the "celebrating 50 years of Disney Parks" materials; the actual "Disneyland's 50th" was really only promoted locally. I don't expect much for any other park in that climate. It's also not surprising they would want to continue the current promotion, as rumor suggests, as it costs little to nothing for them to produce the vast majority of prizes.

AEfx

Right, with a majority of the give aways being fast passes, that's no cost to Disney. Many of the other prizes are "lost opportunity" costs. Such as Cinderella's castle, they lose the opportunity to sell the room but don't take on an added expense to do it.

hrcollectibles

Perhpas the reason Disney Land is rumored to be getting a yoamd extension is maybe wdw will be celbrating something else??? Epcots Birthday ....

Lee

Adventurer
Perhpas the reason Disney Land is rumored to be getting a yoamd extension is maybe wdw will be celbrating something else??? Epcots Birthday ....

Nope. Epcot's birthday may be celebrated in a small way, but all major celebrations will be company wide. Part of the global structuring of the parks and resorts.

disney9752

:eek: :mad: :fork: :cry: I WISH SOME MARKETING EXEC WOULD PULL HIS/ HER HEAD OUT OF THEIR REAR END & REALIZE MANY OF THE DISNEY FANS THAT KEEP COMING OVER & OVER & OVER & OVER ARE SICK OF THE GLOBAL CELEBRATIONS, WDW HAS NOT CELEBRATED AN ANNIVERSARY SINCE THE 25TH, what could have been the 30th was 100 years of magic, now 35th is yomad ugggggggggggggggggggggh:eek:

Champion

:eek: :mad: :fork: :cry: I WISH SOME MARKETING EXEC WOULD PULL HIS/ HER HEAD OUT OF THEIR REAR END & REALIZE MANY OF THE DISNEY FANS THAT KEEP COMING OVER & OVER & OVER & OVER ARE SICK OF THE GLOBAL CELEBRATIONS, WDW HAS NOT CELEBRATED AN ANNIVERSARY SINCE THE 25TH, what could have been the 30th was 100 years of magic, now 35th is yomad ugggggggggggggggggggggh:eek:

And I wish that the 'DISNEY FANS THAT KEEP COMING OVER & OVER & OVER & OVER' would realize that the celebrations are not targeted to them in any way. If you are coming again and again, you don't need the celebration to convince you. Celebrations are for the people who have never been, or come rarely, to convince them that 'now is the time to go.'

So who's the one with the head in the rear?

kcnole

Nope. Epcot's birthday may be celebrated in a small way, but all major celebrations will be company wide. Part of the global structuring of the parks and resorts.

Not that I doubt you Lee, but if its really part of the new global celebrations, how come Tokyo can completely ignore it and have their own 5th year anniversary of TDS and all the big events that are going on there currently that have nothing to do with YOMD. As I understand it most of the overseas parks have completely ignored YOMD. So its not really a global celebration either, they just want to pretend that it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom