Disneyland Resort Southern California AP's placed on Hiatus - 11/20/2017

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/11/2...inue-southern-california-annual-pass-for-now/

>>Starting Monday, Nov. 20, the $469 pass – one of Disneyland’s least expensive annual pass options – will go on hiatus. The Southern California annual pass option was removed from the Disneyland.com website this morning.

Current Southern California Passport annual pass holders will have the option to renew. Those who have passes that expired recently will receive a letter soon on how to renew the pass.

“Our annual passes are very popular with guests,” said Michele Himmelberg, a Disneyland spokeswoman. “We continuously seek the appropriate balance that helps manage demand for our product and allows us to deliver a world-class experience for all guests.”

The discontinuing of the popular Southern California Passport – even if it’s just for the time being – comes as no surprise.

With an estimated 1 million annual pass holders and Star Wars land, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, opening in a couple of years and other attractions such as Pixar Pier coming in the near future, Disneyland officials appear to be taking another step to managing future crowds and spreading out the demand.<<

The So Cal Select, Deluxe, Signature and Signature Plus Passport remain available.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
So what can I get for $469 instead?

Knott's Platinum Pass for all Cedar Fair Parks (4 in California) including parking $198 or $180 for Jr./Sr.
All you can drink. (Either a refillable mug or a paper cup each time). $29.99
All you can eat $115
Unlimited ride photos $44.99
Knott's Scary Farm Pass $85

So that is $474, but you don't need all the add-ons.

Or looking just for park admission in SoCal

Knott's Gold Pass (Berry Farm and Soak City) $110 - FlexPay
Universal Studios Hollywood California Pass - $129
Six Flags Gold Pass (All SF parks, 4 in California) with parking - $84.99 - FlexPay
Sea World San Diego with Parking - $99.99 - FlexPay

So 6 different SoCal parks with either no blockout days, or fairly limited for $424

Upgrade the USH to a Gold Pass with parking for $70 more (Costco), total of $494.

The DLR SoCal AP did not come with parking, very limited in park discounts, and half the year blocked out including much of the summer...

truecoat

Knott's Platinum Pass for all Cedar Fair Parks (4 in California) including parking $198 or $180 for Jr./Sr.
All you can eat $115

Six Flags Gold Pass (All SF parks, 4 in California) with parking - $84.99 - FlexPay

So 6 different SoCal parks with either no blockout days, or fairly limited for $424

Upgrade the USH to a Gold Pass with parking for $70 more (Costco), total of $494.

The DLR SoCal AP did not come with parking, very limited in park discounts, and half the year blocked out including much of the summer...

I like going to those parks and don't disparage them like others but I also wouldn't consider them a replacement.

TP2000

I like going to those parks and don't disparage them like others but I also wouldn't consider them a replacement.

Same here. Because honestly, there is only one Disneyland.

And as if like clockwork, the comment section of the OC Register article is filled with outraged comments from people who either failed 10th grade Economics class, or who just moved here from North Korea or Venezuela and were never exposed to a free market economy and don't understand how that elegantly simple economic system operates.

mickEblu

All you can eat $115

Nice breakdown. I still think when you consider the product that the parks are offering, Disney has more value. Sure you might get more unblocked days and hefty discounts on food and beverages but which park on the list above comes close to the amount of attractions and entertainment that DLR offers? Take USH for example, what do they have, 6 actual rides or something like that? Knott’s has a lot more rides than USH but not many are On Disney’s level in terms of quality.

There is only a 350$ Price difference between Universals Gold pass that includes parking and Disney’s Signature pass that includes parking. Considering the product that each provide, DLR passes have much better value.

To your point, there are definitely alternatives in So Cal but I wouldn’t necessarily frame it in a way that implies that those alternatives have a ton more value. Quality still has to be factored into the value discussion right? Not just sheer numbers and savings. Then you have the USH comparison where Disney wins on quality AND quantity.

Last edited:

VJ

What's the point of removing the Southern California but keeping the Select? Wouldn't the best course of action be to remove the Select or both of the SC passes?

TP2000

All valid and interesting points regarding the other theme parks in SoCal. Other entertainment options for around the same price in SoCal are...

$445 = One (1) ticket for this Sunday's LA Rams vs. Saints NFL game at the Coliseum. Section 5L, Row 35. Seat is on the 30 yard line. If you want a seat on the Home side at the 50 yard line, for a great view of all the millionaires kneeling during our National Anthem, the ticket price for one (1) seat is $723.

$418 = Date Nite! Two (2) tickets next Saturday night in the Orchestra section of the Walt Disney Concert Hall for the LA Philharmonic's presentation of Hillary Hahn Plays Bernstein.

$483 = One (1) ticket for this Friday evening's performance of Hamilton at the Pantages. The seat is at the very back in Row ZZ, and is a single seat only. If you want two seats together, there are two Orchestra seats together in Row S and they are $998 per seat.

None of those ticket prices include parking. For instance, there are still some spots available for the LA Coliseum for this weekend's Rams game. You have a choice of $82 per car with a hike from Hoover Street, or closer in on Figueroa for $100 per car. :eek: https://www.parkwhiz.com/los-angele...ew-orleans-saints-at-los-angeles-rams-583583/

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
So if I want a DLR AP, I can go with the SoCal Select, with no weekends, holidays and summer for $339, or a Deluxe for $619, which is $140 more than the SoCal. Now the Deluxe has very few blockout days, so I can go most weekends, both Saturdays and Sundays, but if I am paying about $50 a month, it motivates me to visit more often. Tough choice...

And as to the Winers, many of them have one, so Disney will allow them to renew.....

Travel Junkie

What's the point of removing the Southern California but keeping the Select? Wouldn't the best course of action be to remove the Select or both of the SC passes?

They stopped selling new So Cal passes before (current ones can still renew.) From what I heard is they have a max number of each pass. When they hit that number they suspend new sales and only allow renewals until the number dips below a certain threshold. Then they open it back up again. So Cal is by far the most popular as they have suspended new sales twice now.

I don't believe they are getting rid of the So Cal pass, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't open it back up again until after Star Wars opens.

mickEblu

I wonder if they would consider blocking out Fridays for So Cal Select passes? From what I understand, Friday nights are just as crowded sometimes or worse then Sundays.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I wonder if they would consider blocking out Fridays for So Cal Select passes? From what I understand, Friday nights are just as crowded sometimes or worse then Sundays.

They might, but the drawback is, the blockout calendar is posted a year in advance, so folks know which dates they get with purchase/renewal, so it could only take effect in 2019 at the earliest.

TP2000

They've also blocked out every single weekend day for Disneyland Park (often both DL + DCA with some exceptions) on the employee main entrance pass since October all the way thru what's been posted in February.

Is that a change? Were employees allowed in free on weekends? With over 50,000 employees in SoCal, that seems like a lavish perk that should have been curtailed years ago, but maybe I’m misunderstanding.

dweezil78

Is that a change? Were employees allowed in free on weekends? With over 50,000 employees in SoCal, that seems like a lavish perk that should have been curtailed years ago, but maybe I’m misunderstanding.

It is indeed a change! There were always blockouts during the busiest times of the year (both weekends and weekdays) -- but there were still always plenty of available weekend days throughout the year, especially in months like Jan/Feb. In comparision, almost every day except the last week of December and two others is wide open over at WDW.

That said, these dates are not set in stone like AP blockouts and are subject to change in either direction and often do.

If you're interested in seeing when employees are blocked out (can help w/ trip planning too), this is a public site anyone can look at: https://blockoutdates.disney.com/app/#/

Ismael Flores

All you can eat $115

Darkbeer, figured i would ask you

Haven’t been to knotts in years but have two tickets I need to use before the end of year.

Do you happen to know how crows levels are between now and mid December?

Also does not credit you for the day ticket if I decide to upgrade to season pass?

O and what’s up with their main coaster that has been in maintenance mode for months without opening date announced yet?

Thanks

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
First, there are three rides down for long term maintenance.

First is the Sky Cabin, expected to reopen when HangTime opens next year.

SolSpin, the carnival spinner bought to replace WindJammer (fit in the space), Cedar Fair is in discussion with the manufacture re the constant breakdowns, and remains closed.

The last one is Xcelerator, whose launch cable broke and damaged some other parts. It is not a cheap replacement, and the park's budget placed the repair in the 2018 budget. They hope for a Spring Break reopening.

As for upgrading, yes, Knott's will allow you to apply the actual price paid towards an SP on the day of use, but today, you could start the monthly payments for the 2018 SP, and get one entry for 2017.

https://www.knotts.com/

As for crowds, this week has been busy due to School Break. Peak Christmas starts December 15th. But between the two, weekends are always busy due to SP's. And you need to watch the free admission to the Crafts Fair on select dates. (November 27 - 30 and December 4 - 7.), but it only impacts the Ghost Town area, and not any rides.

Hope that helps.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
My sister lives near what is admittedly the worst 6 Flags Park in Maryland. I think they paid $79 for an annual pass but they can use it at all 6 Flags nationwide so they get a great deal and spend time traveling to other 6 Flags in the summer months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom