Disneyland Resort Announces $10 Million Child Care Program For Cast Members

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

Yesterday, the Disneyland Resort announced is it committing $10 million annually child care program for qualifying full- and part-time cast members with children 12 and under.

“Making quality childcare more accessible and affordable is the latest addition to a growing package of innovative programs that reflect our ongoing commitment to expand opportunities and improve the lives of our Cast Members,” said Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger.

The Disneyland Childcare Program begins in Fall 2019 and is available to salaried and hourly cast members – both full-time and part-time – with children ages 12 and under, and who work at the Disneyland Resort and offsite locations. Cast members participating in the program can choose from a range of licensed childcare facilities in a variety of locations.

Cast members who participate in the Disneyland Childcare Program will not have to collect receipts or file for reimbursement: childcare providers will bill Disney directly. The amount of per-child financial assistance will be determined by factors for as household size, gross annual household income and space availability.

The Disneyland Childcare Program will complement an existing array of childcare services offered by Disney, which include back-up care, childcare referral assistance and center discounts, homework help, and parenting educational resources.

This $10 million program comes on the heels of the launch of Disney Aspire in 2018. The $50 million program (with up to $25 million in annual funding) offers 100% free tuition for full- and part-time cast members pursuing broad range of courses and programs from high school diploma completion, English language learning and trade certificates to various degrees up to a Master’s degree. Disney pays for tuition up front while costs for books and materials are reimbursable. Courses of study need not be related to cast members’ jobs and they are under no obligation to remain as Disney employees after completing their degree or course work.

Last year, the Disneyland Resort raised its starting minimum wage to a level significantly above the state requirement, including a $15.75 starting wage for non-union employees.

Old Mouseketeer

wait but Disney is only evil. fake news!!

I never thought Disney was pure evil--maybe a bit of a bully sometimes, but not evil.

I genuinely believe that these moves are good for Disney's bottom line in the long run. My real beef isn't with Disney--it's with the direction American capitalism has been taking over the past few decades that I believe to be ultimately unsustainable. I applaud Disney for taking steps that will significantly improve the lives of its employees and the local economy. I believe the opportunity is there for Disney and Anaheim to forge a new relationship that will be beneficial to local residents, businesses, and Disney employees--a win-win scenario.

Old Mouseketeer

Child Labor Laws say No!

Time to call the same agency that Universal uses for Minions....

I believe there are still CMs working at Disneyland that were character performers when ducks and mice were little people. When those characters were "resized" they moved on to other roles. I know I've seen a character host who was a little person. I struck up a conversation with him because when I worked at WDW in the '70s, we had little people in character roles and he said he used to be a character. They have had Jawas at WDW and I assumed they were little people.

OTOH, I remember when the xmas parade at DL had children performers--especially John, Michael, and Wendy "flying" on a trampoline on the Peter Pan float moving down Main St.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I know that Disney does a lot of casting calls in Little Saigon, close and the average height is shorter than most other areas. And no worry about the language barrier, so long as they can communicate with other CM's, that's all that matters.

I was good friends with the main friend of Mickey Mouse during Walt's time. (The one who did the press events, etc.). He wasn't a little person, but he was in the low 5 foot range.

Patcheslee

I'm curious what the weekly cost before the assistance is. I work at a place with childcare but it is twice the average cost a week compared to the other providers in the county so very few people use it. Is Disney going to have a comparable price to other providers in the area?

Castle Cake Apologist

This is awesome! I gotta say, Disney has really been making some major moves lately to improve the quality of life for Cast. It's been really refreshing.

In other news,Disney is pleased to announce the addition of roaming Jawas and occasional Ewoks to Star Wars:Galaxys Edge!

I'm ashamed of how long it took me to get this. 😅

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Disney keeping the cycle of poverty going. ;)
2ddo4p.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom