News Disneyland raises prices for most daily admission tickets and all annual passes

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
It's no coincidence that the announcement for the limited time kid's ticket discount came exactly one week before this increase. It was their attempt to make this increase seem less impactful on families that want to go in the early months of 2024, while simultaneously addressing the recent articles about the increasing Disney Adults and blog sites/channels posting 3 hour wait lines for Baymax that had no kids in it. They are increasing prices to put some hurt on the Disney Adults while then offering discounts for kids. It's all an attempt to keep PR in check while still increasing income (on top of the poor maintenance, wages, and crazy inflation).

Aside from that, it's just a revelation of more lies that have come out of Iger's mouth. He's said twice that he was going to back off from the culture wars (which they clearly have not), and now with this aggressive price increase it goes against what he said back in March:

"I always believed that Disney was a brand that needs to be accessible,” he told a Morgan Stanley media conference Thursday. “And I think that in our zeal to grow profits, we may have been a little bit too aggressive about some of our pricing. And I think there is a way to continue to grow our business but be smarter about how we price so that we maintain that brand value of accessibility."

I agree that ticket prices should go up if they continue to invest in the parks and handle crowds, but if you're going to tell people you want to be smarter about pricing and that you've been too aggressive, either don't say that crap, or follow through with it.

It just makes him look like a snake-oil salesman that tries to use "discounts" to make the increases not look so bad. All these lies are knee-jerk reactions to try and keep the investors happy and artificially inflate dropping stock prices (like their press release stating Loki Season 2 is doing amazing despite the viewership numbers showing it's down nearly 50% from Season 1).

Anyway, I'm thankful I got my tickets for our November trip a couple months ago, but now regret not adding Genie+ at that time. I feel like I'm finally getting priced out....not financially (I can still afford to go), but more in principle and in value. Time will tell if my Disney itch is more powerful than my principles.

Phroobar

So complain about ticket prices but be first in line to buy them. It's just dumb.

Why not just raise single day tickets to $300, Genie+ to $100 and up the AP passes by $1000 across the board? Addicted Disney freaks will still pay it.

CaptinEO

Aside from that, it's just a revelation of more lies that have come out of Iger's mouth. He's said twice that he was going to back off from the culture wars (which they clearly have not), and now with this aggressive price increase it goes against what he said back in March:

"I always believed that Disney was a brand that needs to be accessible,” he told a Morgan Stanley media conference Thursday. “And I think that in our zeal to grow profits, we may have been a little bit too aggressive about some of our pricing. And I think there is a way to continue to grow our business but be smarter about how we price so that we maintain that brand value of accessibility."

I agree that ticket prices should go up if they continue to invest in the parks and handle crowds, but if you're going to tell people you want to be smarter about pricing and that you've been too aggressive, either don't say that crap, or follow through with it.

It just makes him look like a snake-oil salesman that tries to use "discounts" to make the increases not look so bad.
I guess I never bought into the idea that Iger, the CEO of Disney from 2006-2020 was against ticket price increases. Tickets went up in price many times over those 14 years.

Even his statement about needing to be more careful with pricing doesn't translate to "no price increases".

el_super

They are increasing prices to put some hurt on the Disney Adults while then offering discounts for kids. It's all an attempt to keep PR in check while still increasing income (on top of the poor maintenance, wages, and crazy inflation).

I guess that makes some sense.

Aside from that, it's just a revelation of more lies that have come out of Iger's mouth. He's said twice that he was going to back off from the culture wars (which they clearly have not),

That was never going to happen the way people thought it would.

I don't get it. Based on what you said above, didn't he keep his promise? If they reduce the availability for some people, doesn't that make the place more available for others? It's clear they want to make the place better for some people, and more difficult to visit for others. It's almost as if they have a favorable attendance mix in mind...

smooch

Do you know what really grinds my gears? Concert ticket prices these days.

Now that industry has seen a huge increase in prices as of late, it’s shocking, for 2ish hours of entertainment.
Honestly true, I try to stick to smaller shows (my favorite artists are just smaller in general so it works out) cause they're cheaper but also I enjoy the intimate setting. Those shows have remained about $25ish per ticket which I'm fine with, but larger shows I used to go to on occasion are no longer on my radar except one festival per year (when it's held) due to prices. At least with festivals I justify the price being 10+ hours of entertainment, with multiple artists and festival grounds to explore. I can't imagine dropping more than $100 for a single ticket for a single artist unless it's one of my top 5 artists right now, I think $60 per ticket was the most I paid for an individual show between last and this year.

Disney Analyst

Honestly true, I try to stick to smaller shows (my favorite artists are just smaller in general so it works out) cause they're cheaper but also I enjoy the intimate setting. Those shows have remained about $25ish per ticket which I'm fine with, but larger shows I used to go to on occasion are no longer on my radar except one festival per year (when it's held) due to prices. At least with festivals I justify the price being 10+ hours of entertainment, with multiple artists and festival grounds to explore. I can't imagine dropping more than $100 for a single ticket for a single artist unless it's one of my top 5 artists right now, I think $60 per ticket was the most I paid for an individual show between last and this year.

It's horrifying. Beyonce was $250+ for nosebleeds, in a freaking stadium.

I know it was many moons ago, but back in 2011, I saw Lady Gaga's Born This Way Ball, it was GA floor, $50. Felt totally worth it.

Now you see Olivia Rodrigo charging like $500 for GA floor. It's grotesque.

smooch

It's horrifying. Beyonce was $250+ for nosebleeds, in a freaking stadium.

I know it was many moons ago, but back in 2011, I saw Lady Gaga's Born This Way Ball, it was GA floor, $50. Felt totally worth it.

Now you see Olivia Rodrigo charging like $500 for GA floor. It's grotesque.
I believe my parents saw her back in 2011 too when prices were reasonable! I'm jealous I couldn't go but I've more than made up for it since then.

I actually love Olivia Rodrigo's music, I will be honest I doubt I would go to a show no matter the price because I'd feel awkward among a sea of her fans (who get very very into her and her music) screaming (aka screeching in some cases lmao) along to all the songs, but if you asked me to pay even $200 for a floor ticket for a single artist I would laugh. I paid $350 for VIP at Second Sky last year, the show went from 12 PM to 10 PM and had like 8 artists on the main stage, about 4-5 on the second stage, and art installations / a speak easy type lounge I explored / hung out at to relax from the show. I've heard of the Taylor Swift prices for a while now but it never fails to give my body a visceral rejection when I see / hear about tickets for her shows.

I understand a LOT goes into live entertainment, especially in those arena tours artists of that size do, but when I go online to buy a $15 ticket and it comes out to $28 after "convenience fees" for an automated electronic system that requires no effort from the company it makes my blood boil. Another consequence of the monopolization of entertainment industries.

PiratesMansion

I'm trying to weigh whether or not to go next year, because if I do, the time to snatch up tickets is now, before the authorized sellers run out of their current inventory and THEIR prices go up too.

I already have passes that would get me into Knott's and USH for free (if I time it right) if I wanted to do a DLR trip next summer. But I'm having a hard time stomaching the fact that my go-to ticket for DLR was $500 or so from Disney's site, and now it's $705.

And having to make the decision to buy or not buy with no assurance of any sort of entertainment available on the ROA, of any night parade, of anything in the Hyperion, of Wondrous Journeys, of surprise SOC returns, and for sure no new attractions available (unless you count the treehouse-at this point I don't), is not a fun position to be in.

For my first time, I'm approaching priced-out territory. Yay?

D.Silentu

…having to make the decision to buy or not buy with no assurance of any sort of entertainment available on the ROA, of any night parade, of anything in the Hyperion, of Wondrous Journeys, of surprise SOC returns, and for sure no new attractions available (unless you count the treehouse-at this point I don't), is not a fun position to be in.
That’s the thing that strikes me most as well. Between the seemingly endless construction on various projects, which may or may not be finished when they finish, and the lack of entertainments that used to be mainstays, it seems an absurd time for a price increase.

Phroobar

That’s the thing that strikes me most as well. Between the seemingly endless construction on various projects, which may or may not be finished when they finish, and the lack of entertainments that used to be mainstays, it seems an absurd time for a price increase.
Has there ever been a time when there were no construction walls?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom