Disneyland races on hiatus beginning in 2018

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well, there goes my legacy Kessel. Unless they reinstate later.

(Runs off to cancel hotel)

My DW and her BFF also wanted their Kessel Run medals. Not gonna happen.now.

They had even changed from WDW Marathon trip to Dark Side / Light Side for that very reason.

Well done Disney, well done indeed more PO'ed customers.

RunningKoen

Fascinating, Now i'm sure its a political cat fight as runDisney did not say boo to the people who actually ran the race.

As the Watusi say when elephants fight the grass gets trampled.

As Madonna once sang: you only see what your eyes wanna see. There might be some lines in is answers that can link to the points you so desperately want to be true.

However, while reading, I saw several other lines and answers that can justify that there might be nothing else than lots and lots of construction issues. He also, several times, made clear he was into no position to notice the stuff you want to complain about.

Details like runDisney itself being billed by Disney and stuff like that, other Disney branches like Hotels etc. who also can oppose course stuff are legit reason to cancel a course when combined with a lot of construction both inside and outside disney and anaheim. And as a finishing touch avoiding the high way to prevent complicated permits for the closure of ramps.

As he states: those three combined are legit reason to cancel a half marathon, and its the core of the weekend. It makes challenges, creates challenges with WDW and DLP Paris. Just doing 5K and 10K has less spots and less profit margins, while runDisney is still begin billed to run inside Disney.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
As Madonna once sang: you only see what your eyes wanna see. There might be some lines in is answers that can link to the points you so desperately want to be true.

However, while reading, I saw several other lines and answers that can justify that there might be nothing else than lots and lots of construction issues. He also, several times, made clear he was into no position to notice the stuff you want to complain about.

Details like runDisney itself being billed by Disney and stuff like that, other Disney branches like Hotels etc. who also can oppose course stuff are legit reason to cancel a course when combined with a lot of construction both inside and outside disney and anaheim. And as a finishing touch avoiding the high way to prevent complicated permits for the closure of ramps.

As he states: those three combined are legit reason to cancel a half marathon, and its the core of the weekend. It makes challenges, creates challenges with WDW and DLP Paris. Just doing 5K and 10K has less spots and less profit margins, while runDisney is still begin billed to run inside Disney.

Unless he actually has participated in rD races, he knows little of what he speaks. rD runs the races - tbey hire either volunteers or temps to staff them. rD is a division of TWDC - so it's one division transferring funds to another to cover expenses incurred by that division.

Setting up a race is complicated. We tried to set up a 5k as a fundraiser at work. Insurance, permits, permission for road closures, police to route traffic. Water stations. First aid staff. All expenses to be covered by registration fees.

Did he really allege that DLR resorts can nix a rD race? We don't run through hotel lobbies. And not sure how much input hotels surrounding DLR would have with regards to road closures. They are only temporary...and early AM.

But I agree with you - main reason is most likely current and planned construction. Construction crews will stage the area well in advance of the actual construction. And from what others who regular ran in DLR races indicated, the areas affected by construction impact both race staging areas and finish lines. The ENTIRE Disneyland Resort (2 parks, hotels, Downtown Disney, parking) is only 510 acres, 100 acres bigger than Animal Kingdom, WDW's largest park. By comparison, WDW is 25,00 acres and DLP is 4,800 acres. Not much room to run distance races on property, especially if there are 4 major construction projects going on at the same time.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I've run in many runDisney races, Mainly because they are fun, and you dont have asshats trying to knock you off the course because they are trying to make a new 'personal best' as you see in Boston for example.

I've sworn off runDisney along with anything else that gives Disney money, Yes l'll miss the races and especially the volunteers.

But there are other fun races other than Disney's. 'Beat the Blerch' immediately comes to mind as does Bay to Breakers in SFO.

Too bad a cat fight ruins a great experience.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

I find it amusing that you buy 'construction' as the explanation The construct did not magically appear at DL and obstruct the course, large construction projects have schedules and generally know exactly whats happening months into the future.

the parks and runDisney were perfectly aware of the construction when the schedule was set.

Now if the races had not been scheduled at all this year. I would buy the construction story. But since registration was put on hold after the city council flipped i'm not buying the Disney cover story.

As to Disney divisions charging each other thats SOP for every large organization in America.

roj2323

The interesting part of this announcement is it says starting in 2018 and not Through 2018. I suspect 2019 is out of the question as well at least through the May-June swl opening.

RunningKoen

I find it amusing that you buy 'construction' as the explanation The construct did not magically appear at DL and obstruct the course, large construction projects have schedules and generally know exactly whats happening months into the future.

the parks and runDisney were perfectly aware of the construction when the schedule was set.

Now if the races had not been scheduled at all this year. I would buy the construction story. But since registration was put on hold after the city council flipped i'm not buying the Disney cover story.

As to Disney divisions charging each other thats SOP for every large organization in America.

I never said I buy the construction story; it's more likely to be one of the main reason while other factors might still influence.
@LAKid53 and I already discussed about that aswell.

I am however quite annoyed because you have made it a personal crusade to fuel some rumours, while throwing as much mud at disney as you can. You are free to do so, but do it at the topics dedicated to the LA times articles you seem to love. Cancelling runDisney might have been a result of the politic game, but there is much more at stake than just runDisney. So why don't we have that entire politic discussion in the place where it supposed to be and keep these topics focussed on the results it has on runDisney ;-)

Back on topic; the runDisney team is doing their usual communication trick: nothing. The runDisney site is back online after some downtime, but no tweet since 13 oktober, and their facebook is still empty. Their new cover photo has become the general complaining place.

LAKid53

Premium Member
@RunningKoen, most of us have recognized the futility in engaging with him.

I've read the LA Times story. I've also read the responses from current and former Anaheim council members, including the former mayor. Most of them disagree with many of the assertions in the article. Has Disney had the upper hand in the past in its relationship with the City? Sure....it helped build Anaheim from a small farming town to what it is today (trust me, I know, I grew up in LA...and I'm that old). Are there pockets of poverty in the City? Sure. But look at Orange County's neighbor, LA, and you'll see the same. Watts ring any bells? But the chart provided in the article showed Fresno has the highest rate of poverty in the state. Has Disney gotten major tax breaks? Well, duh. Just like any major company/industry pumping millions of dollars and thousands of jobs into the local economy. In Florida, Walt Disney World is the largest single site employer in the state. We could argue the points in the article for any major city in the US. But I digress.

Yeah, I'm disappointed. I'll have to wait at least 2 years now to get my Kessel run and C2C medals. But my 1st Light Side Half will run through the new SW Land. That's will be worth waiting for.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Just read the Reddit post. Give a me new appreciation for those who plan, organize and operate major races.

The guy who wrote the post was the Director of Ops for the DLR races. I don't doubt there were issues with the relationship between DLR and the City. But after reading the guy's post, I don't doubt the major reason was construction - both in Disney and around Anaheim. Sounds like there's major construction going on in Anaheim - hotels, roads - that would limit rD's ability to shift more of the courses off property as construction on property limits its availability. And it sounds like the River path is becoming too dangerous to be include in any of the race courses.

So for those of you attributing the cancellation of the 2018 DLR races to the usual "Disney is a big, bad, money grubbing company", read this guy's post. Here's the link.... And there's a dedicated thread to discuss it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rundisney/comments/77f1np/hello_rrundisney_my_name_is_brandon_hough_and_i/

Chet Dakota

Disappointing news. I ran all of the Light Side events in 2016 and 2017 and really enjoyed running at DLR. I was not going to run at DLR in 2018, but was planning on returning in 2019. Hopefully, they get all of this settled and the races return.

kevlightyear

Makes a lot more sense now. It's hard to tell from the concept art, but I'm wondering if they're removing the portion of Downtown Drive in front of the Disneyland Hotel all together? Or at least shortening it. It doesn't look like there is an outlet for it on the north side.

RunningKoen

Slightly offtopic, but whenever the Disneyland Races are getting back, I'm staying at that new resort. Bucketlist worthy.

Also slightly offtopic: What's the black market price for a kidney these days? Asking for a friend.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Slightly offtopic, but whenever the Disneyland Races are getting back, I'm staying at that new resort. Bucketlist worthy.

Also slightly offtopic: What's the black market price for a kidney these days? Asking for a friend.

Between 5 and 10, years in jail, that is....

LAKid53

Premium Member
Sorry late to the discussion but I had someone tell me in August this was going to happen.

This person, said it was all anti-DL politics,

Think it's a combination of both. The construction of the new hotel will impact both the start and finish areas. runDisney just released the 2018-2019 race calendar. No DLR races listed for 2019.

LAKid53

Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom