DisneyLAND Questions

Highland_Holly

Original Poster
My 10 year old son and I are travelling to Orange County in July. We will probably have ONE day to visit Disneyland. My questions are:

(1) Is it worth it to buy the one day ParkHopper pass and try to do DL and CA in one day, or should we stick with just one park?

(2) What kind of crowds are there during the week in July?

Thanks so much!

Holly

Xadllas

I would stick to a whole day for Disneyland (Park). Dont try to do them both in one day, because you wont see much that way (in my opinion).

Tiggersk82

Disneyland is almost always crowded nowadays. A lot of times there's even a long line to get in the park! It should be fairly manageable during the week, however, as long as you aren't visiting too close to July 4th. I would probably get the park hopper pass, because DCA is worth a visit, especially if you haven't been before. That said, the park hopper is $20 more, so it might not be worth it if you aren't particularly enthusiastic about DCA or if you want to do DL thoroughly like Xadllas said.

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
It depends on how late Disneyland is open...

I've done both parks in one day - but I knew what I wanted to see and knew what I could "skip".

If you feel like you might "miss" something by not getting a parkhopper ticket..then get one..at least you have the option of going over to DCA for an hour or two...and then heading back to Disneyland.

I think DCA is definitly worth at least one visit.

fudwrapper

we went to Disneyland in July of 2005, and the crowds weren't too bad. it was busy, but we were able to easily do everything we wanted to in 2 days. i would definitely get the park hopper, if for no other reason than to run over and catch the Aladdin show in DCA. it was unbelievable. and tower of terror is very close to it. if you can squeeze in Aladdin, Tower of Terror, California Screamin, and Soarin', you will have paid for the extra park hopper many times over. If you don't think you'll have the time, I'd still pay for the hopper and catch the Aladdin show. It is that good.

scorp111

With only the opportunity for 1 day, I would stick to Disneyland.
I do like DCA, and we spent almost 2 days there out of the 5 we spent in the parks last May. But with limited time, DL is the park for me.

maharet97a

As stated before, DL is almost always crowded these days. Even on weekdays. DCA is definitely worth the time and money (especially the Aladdin show), but in July it will take very careful planning to pull off both in one day. If you devise a plan of attack ahead of time you can do it, but you will have to be willing to give up the attractions that are less important to you. Keep in mind as well that at DL some of the attractions are different than their WDW counterparts and are definitely worth the time (POTC , Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain), so don't pass them up because you may have done them at WDW. Have a great trip and enjoy!

tunaman68

we went to Disneyland in July of 2005, and the crowds weren't too bad. it was busy, but we were able to easily do everything we wanted to in 2 days. i would definitely get the park hopper, if for no other reason than to run over and catch the Aladdin show in DCA. it was unbelievable. and tower of terror is very close to it. if you can squeeze in Aladdin, Tower of Terror, California Screamin, and Soarin', you will have paid for the extra park hopper many times over. If you don't think you'll have the time, I'd still pay for the hopper and catch the Aladdin show. It is that good.

As a frequent visitor/AP holder I agree with the above. DCA is really cool to take a peek at, and they really do have a handfull of cool attractions. The Aladdin show is better than many shows i've paid top dollar to see. Screamin' is a first class coaster, and we also like Maliboomer for a head rush (use the single rider line if you're in a hurry).

Also in July it could be really HOT and DCA has some really neat places to get wet over in the Bug's Life area.

Have Fun!!

If its your first time to disneyland Id stick with just One park. I was there for 4 days and as a first timer i didnt get everything done I wanted to. There were doubles of alot of stuff but not everything got accomplished.

Highland_Holly

Original Poster
Wow... thanks for all the opinions... This won't be MY first DL visit. My husband and I went in 2000 and did DCA too. It is, however, my son's first time. We were just at WDW in December, so we might be able to skip a few of the "Fantasyland" rides in favor of catching a few at DCA! I am hoping we will be able to do things quicker as there will just be the two of us (as opposed to 5 w/ a stroller).

Appreciate your input!

Holly

mickster

Don't waste precious time on DCA

If you only have one day, then definitely just keep it to Disneyland only. It will be a challenge just seeing this one park in one day (especially in July). Several people have recommended Aladdin, and normally I would also recommend it. But it would be taking a huge chunk of time out of your day because of the long wait to get in and also the length of the show itself. Plus, I'm assuming a 10-year-old boy would be more interested in actively participating in attractions rather than just sit and watch a show (even though it's a good one).

Skip

If you only have one day, then definitely just keep it to Disneyland only. It will be a challenge just seeing this one park in one day (especially in July). Several people have recommended Aladdin, and normally I would also recommend it. But it would be taking a huge chunk of time out of your day because of the long wait to get in and also the length of the show itself. Plus, I'm assuming a 10-year-old boy would be more interested in actively participating in attractions rather than just sit and watch a show (even though it's a good one).

I agree completely. If you have only one day, stick to just Disneyland Park. Aladdin is a great show, but like you said, it would take a huge chunk of your time and your kid would probably get bored. Disneyland has more than enough for you to do in a day. :)

Have fun,

-Skip

MainSt1993

I'll offer a dissenting opinion here. I took some friends to DLR last July, during Independence Day week and with all the 50th stuff in full swing. For one of them, it was their first time, and he wanted to see as much as we could possibly pack in. They drove up from San Diego in the morning, and returned the same day. We saw:

Indy
Jungle
Tiki
Pirates
Mansion
Thunder
Roger Rabbit
Matterhorn
Small World
Buzz
Space
Star Tours
Soarin'
Tower of Terror
Screamin'
Mullholand
Monsters

As well as lunch at Bengal, afternoon cocktails at Cove Bar, sit down dinner at Cafe Orleans, Block Party Bash (two party zones!), and of course Remember, Dreams Come True. And it was a busy, busy day. One thing that helped was FastPass, but also we did DCA in the afternoon when DL was packed to the rafters. Have fun!

Nicole220

I'll offer a dissenting opinion here. I took some friends to DLR last July, during Independence Day week and with all the 50th stuff in full swing. For one of them, it was their first time, and he wanted to see as much as we could possibly pack in. They drove up from San Diego in the morning, and returned the same day. We saw:

Indy
Jungle
Tiki
Pirates
Mansion
Thunder
Roger Rabbit
Matterhorn
Small World
Buzz
Space
Star Tours
Soarin'
Tower of Terror
Screamin'
Mullholand
Monsters

As well as lunch at Bengal, afternoon cocktails at Cove Bar, sit down dinner at Cafe Orleans, Block Party Bash (two party zones!), and of course Remember, Dreams Come True. And it was a busy, busy day. One thing that helped was FastPass, but also we did DCA in the afternoon when DL was packed to the rafters. Have fun!
Doing both parks in one day is very doable, if you know how to do it. I've done it before as well. But of course, going over multiple days is much better and you aren't as rushed.

mickster

Indy
Jungle
Tiki
Pirates
Mansion
Thunder
Roger Rabbit
Matterhorn
Small World
Buzz
Space
Star Tours
Soarin'
Tower of Terror
Screamin'
Mullholand
Monsters

Not only would FastPass be key in this situation, but also having people in the group who are extremely familiar with both the layout of the two parks and also the typical crowd flows at various times. It also sounds like you did it "commando" style. It's not entirely clear from the OP's post, but my assumption is it's their first time to DLR. That being the case, I would only recommend the approach you took to someone who was experienced with the place.

mickster

Doing both parks in one day is very doable, if you know how to do it. I've done it before as well. But of course, going over multiple days is much better and you aren't as rushed.

Doable, yes. But probably not by someone who has never been there before and is unfamiliar with the ins and outs of the place. Also, if you're rushing from attraction to attraction just to squeeze in as much as possible, how enjoyable is it really? You don't get a chance to enjoy the ambience.

mickster

I would also pretty much avoid Downtown Disney. There is nothing there that you won't find at the one in Florida, and a lot of the shops and restaurants are just ones that are typical of your average shopping mall.

Nicole220

Doable, yes. But probably not by someone who has never been there before and is unfamiliar with the ins and outs of the place. Also, if you're rushing from attraction to attraction just to squeeze in as much as possible, how enjoyable is it really? You don't get a chance to enjoy the ambience.
I know, I was just saying that for someone who only had one day to enjoy the parks. Of course I would encourage mulltiple days to see the resort. It would be much more relaxing, you wouldn't be as rushed, and you'd enjoy yourself more. As I said in my post, multiple days would be better. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom