Disneyland Ohio

Pixardust

Original Poster
Ok, I know I'm going to get a lot of slack for this. And I know several years ago there was rumor surrounding some land that was purchased in Southern Ohio as possible grounds for a Disney something or other. I really think Disneyland Ohio would be a great idea though. I live in Columbus, and think that building it near Columbus would be a best bet. We are a city growing like mad, and we have lots of open space, not landlocked. Besides, Ohio is like the top theme park meca in the U.S. We have Cedar Point, with it's 20 innovative rollercoasters. People from all over the world come to Cedar Point for it's rides. Not to mention we also have Kings Island, Six Flags/Seaworld, and lots of other waterparks, zoos, etc. There isn't much near Columbus as far as amusment parks.. they are all near Cleveland and Cincinatti. We are the largest in population is Ohio though! We the capital city, and central to a lot of other states. About 6 hours to DC, 4 to Indianapolis, 2 hrs to Cleveland, 1 1/2 to Cincinatti, 3 to Detroit, 6 to Chicago.. and the list goes on and on. We have a great modern airport, and it is cheap to fly to and from.

Natelox

sorry to be critical, but i think cali is roller coaster land for the Us. Cali has disney, SFMM, knotts, Paramount and many other smaller parks. btw, Cedar point has 16 coasters....not 20.

Pixardust

Original Poster
I really think we may have to investigate this, but I think Cedar Point has the most Coasters of any park... and Ohio has the most in any State. ;)

A park in Ohio would be nice geographiclaly for me aswell, however our winters kill any dream of this of this unless Disney builds a large dome.

Granted Paris and Tokyo get snow but Disney atleast belives that the US mentality is for warmer climate vacatsion only, so that being said I would think that Texas is the only real candidate for a thrid US park/resort.

BTW: Ceadar point used to be the coaster capital Magic Mountain(six Flags) just over took it less than a year ago, I am waiting for CP to retalitate though ;)

Pixardust

Original Poster
Originally posted by FigmentDream
A park in Ohio would be nice geographiclaly for me aswell, however our winters kill any dream of this of this unless Disney builds a large dome.

Granted Paris and Tokyo get snow but Disney atleast belives that the US mentality is for warmer climate vacatsion only, so that being said I would think that Texas is the only real candidate for a thrid US park/resort.

BTW: Ceadar point used to be the coaster capital Magic Mountain(six Flags) just over took it less than a year ago, I am waiting for CP to retalitate though ;)

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you when you say winter would kill any dream of Disney building a park here. I know we have a major outdoor shopping center that was built in Columbus about 3 years ago, and just compleated it's second phase. It has been phenominal with business, and has caused more than one of our indoor malls to loose business and tenants. So I think people are underestimating people's tolerance for the cold.

I also think it is silly that people keep mentioning these big domes. I really don't think that it is even possible to build a dome large enough to go over an entire theme park, so I don't know why people keep bring that up. Thats all.

thedream86

Ohio?

I don't see any reason why a park in Ohio wouldn't work, ecsept for the weather, but if you were only planing on operating it from April to September and built the park accordingly, I see no reason for it not to turn a profit.

Originally posted by Pixardust
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you when you say winter would kill any dream of Disney building a park here. I know we have a major outdoor shopping center that was built in Columbus about 3 years ago, and just compleated it's second phase. It has been phenominal with business, and has caused more than one of our indoor malls to loose business and tenants. So I think people are underestimating people's tolerance for the cold.

I also think it is silly that people keep mentioning these big domes. I really don't think that it is even possible to build a dome large enough to go over an entire theme park, so I don't know why people keep bring that up. Thats all.

Well to begin an outdoor shopping center is a little different mentality then a theme park.......

But as I also mentionted Disney does opperate parks year round where it snows, so it could certaintly work, however Disney has offically stated that they will never build a park in the US in a goegraphic location too far north , I am not sure how the Virgina venue fell into this, perhapse that is as far North as they wished to go.

I am really not sure for Disney's reasoning of this, but it is a reason they have publically stated.

I personally feel it could work, I loved WinterFest at Kings Island, so it coudl work, Disney however has been very vocal that they do not wish to do so.

And the dome thing was sarcasm.....

historymystery

Account Suspended
The best area Disney could build population wise would be-

1. Michigan
2. New York
3. Pennsylvania
4. Texas

I am not going to say weather cause Disney could operate through the snow and rain.

The best place to build in a popular area to visit would be-

1. Michigan
2. New York
3. Washington D. C.
4. Texas
5. Hawaii (It could happen but I doubt it extremly.

Notice that Michigan, Texas, and New York appear twice.

The places they probably will put it-

1. Virginia
2. Missouri (Walt's home)
3. Texas
4. Michigan (Maybe but I doubt it cause the people running the company suck.
5. Nowhere (may not build one.)

jmarc63

Originally posted by Pixardust

Pixardust a shopping center is one thing, a totaly diffrent mind set, you spend an hour or so there shopping for your needs and while there you stay inside as long as you shopping in that store. you go out to leave or go to another store. You don't hange outside for an extended peroid like you would waiting in a queqe. I don't know anyone who would go to the local outdoor mall just to hange out at the mall and not go shoppping or to the moves like they would at an indoor mall in the winter. and with DLP and TDL they dont get the extreame winter weather ohio is susceptable to with cold from from canada and the lake effect you get in ther northern part of the state. an amusement park is a whole other ball game.

about 25 years ago Disney was looking at a parcel for an outdoor venue in chicago and decided that the winters would be too extreame for year round operation and to just have a seasonal park in the area was too costly so they abandoned that Idea.

I would be really supprised if Disney built a third DL/WDW type of park in the US. With every thing going on with attendance being down at DL and WDW they would really dilute the guest base .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom