Disneyland Memories and Appreciation

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

It’s nice that you have those memories. I’m really the original Disneyland Super fan in my family so my memories with grandparents aren’t ever at Disneyland. It wasn’t really their thing or my parents for that matter. Especially my dad. My mom would (and sometimes dad) and extended family would go once a year or so and many of the trips were taking family from out of the country. I’ve been going to DL since I was a toddler so I can’t really remember my first time. Just vague memories of being scared on POTC, watching Captain Eo, CBJ and America Sings, hearing the yeti howl near Alice in Wonderland below etc. Definitely remember always making my mom get some of those little figurines of the Disney characters on the way out near the entry tunnels. Those stores near the entry tunnels used to have bins filled with little pvc figurines of all the classic DIisney characters and Mickey and the gang. My favorite being the Captain Eo set I still have. Now it’s mostly bubble wands etc. Man, I let them off cheap. Those things probably didn’t cost more than a couple bucks. Now I can’t get out of the park without spending at least 30$ on some plastic junk for my son.
I had no idea the first waterfall was coming until I saw the jolly roger, I remember holding onto my grandfather's arm as we went down. I was so scared. Back then the waterfall seemed huge now, its nothing to be scared of. That's a nice memory for me.

mickEblu

I had no idea the first waterfall was coming until I saw the jolly roger, I remember holding onto my grandfather's arm as we went down. I was so scared. Back then the waterfall seems huge now its nothing to be scared of. That's a nice memory for me.

That’s awesome.

That first drop on POTC still has a little oomph to it though. So cool that a slow incredibly detailed dark boat ride has a drop like that. That’s what Disney was did was good at. With rides like POTC they under promised and over delivered. No crazy Grand Canyon rock work outside with lackluster experiences inside. Just charming and understated like the POTC building, Haunted Mansion house and even the Indy temple with incredible experiences inside. Seems like they re more concerned with the gift wrapper than the gift these days. And even with the “gift” they ll prioritize the tech and ride system to fun/ overall experience.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

That’s awesome.

That first drop on POTC still has a little oomph to it though. So cool that a slow incredibly detailed dark boat ride has a drop like that. That’s what Disney was did was good at. With rides like POTC they under promised and over delivered. No crazy Grand Canyon rock work outside with lackluster experiences inside. Just charming and understated like the POTC building, Haunted Mansion house and even the Indy temple with incredible experiences inside. Seems like they re more concerned with the gift wrapper than the gift these days. And even with the “gift” they ll prioritize the tech and ride system to fun/ overall experience.
I had no idea the drop was coming based on the bayou scene. I thought when we turned the corner we were gonna start seeing priates. Then I heard the water rushing and saw the jolly roger give his warning and saw the boat in front of us go over. It scared the crap out of me. i held my grandfather's arm for dear life while i had my newly purchased tigger doll in my other hand. And just when I thought it was over- the 2nd drop. I did not expect that. everyone told me it was a slow boat ride with pirates. but after that 2nd drop i was hooked and the ride had my full attention until the end. I got off the ride singing the "yo ho" song then we went to pieces of eight and my dad bought me a pirate hat, a sword, a map and a eye patch. and i was a pirate for the the rest of the day.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom