Disneyland Halloween Half Marathon Weekend

the.dreamfinder

Like I like it, but I also don’t. The medals have changed so much this decade.
Durability and QA are a joke these days. My 2024 Princess half medal has chipping on Tiana’s shoulder and the Mickey on the DL half medal was misaligned when it was printed.

I appreciate the efforts to be more ambitious creatively, but you can’t skimp on the quality at the prices they charge.

Greenlawler

Hey guys. So any of you doing these races looking to do Oogie Boogie Bash on the 10th? I bought five tickets for my family and two of my sons cannot attend. I have one ticket for the Bash. If you are interested in it please let me know.

the.dreamfinder

Went to the expo this morning. Relatively calm and I got my half marathon medal pin!

Attachments

• IMG_9754.jpeg
    IMG_9754.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9766.jpeg
    IMG_9766.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 12

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I am concerned about them cancelling or cutting the half marathon on account of the weather. The current forecast has the low on Sunday being 75 degrees… with a high of 104.

It's September. Always hot in LA. I remember it reaching 113° my 6th grade year in September.

And NO ONE had A/C back then.

surfsupdon

The race was terrific!!! I enjoyed it.

The start line banter and e edgy is so different tho. It’s a pre show vs continual entertainment. Carissa ran the show for the guys, who seemed like they were each a caricature…nothing authentic was given. We really are lucky in Fla!

Not my fastest Galf nor my slowest. Happy I ran today.

surfsupdon

Did you all read about the death at the finish line by a young social media Disney guy? I followed him for years, and always talked with him in Corral A. Talked that morning before the start. We ran about a mile together when I bumped into him in Radiator Springs area. Such a good natured runner.

So sad, so unfortunate. Just posting so his death is not in vain and we can all learn from this unfortunate event.

www.latimes.com

Runner dies after collapsing at finish line of Disneyland's Halloween Half Marathon

During Southern California's triple-digit heat wave, a runner collapsed and died after completing a half marathon at Disneyland on Sunday.
www.latimes.com
www.latimes.com

Last edited:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Did you all read about the death at the finish line by a young social media Disney guy? I followed him for years, and always talked with him in Corral A. Talked that morning before the start. We ran about a mile together when I bumped into him in Radiator Springs area. Such a good natured runner.

So sad, so unfortunate. Just posting so his death is not in vain and we can all learn from this unfortunate event.

www.latimes.com

Runner dies after collapsing at finish line of Disneyland's Halloween Half Marathon

During Southern California's triple-digit heat wave, a runner collapsed and died after completing a half marathon at Disneyland on Sunday.
www.latimes.com
www.latimes.com

Very sad indeed. My heart goes out to his loved ones.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So young.... ☹️

Sounds like rD should have considered cancelling the Half in that heat. While it's dry heat, it's still hot...like sitting in front of an open oven.

I can remember how hot it got in September due to the Santa Anas...and few had A/C back then.

surfsupdon

So young.... ☹️

Sounds like rD should have considered cancelling the Half in that heat. While it's dry heat, it's still hot...like sitting in front of an open oven.

I can remember how hot it got in September due to the Santa Anas...and few had A/C back then.
I know what happened, and I’m not here for a debate about cancelling. I believe the elevated flag condition was warranted, and that the race should have continued as the temps before 9a were manageable and often times less high than at WDW.
Caleb was an avid runner, a distance runner with many races beating my times.
Every race is a risk, every day is a risk. We do our best to mitigate those risks.
It is such a sad story, but I do believe it was fine to hold a race at 5a with water, electrolyte, and sports beans on course. Plus the many verbal warnings and slower than usual pace groups.

I respect your opinion and hope to see you in the corrals soon😄😄

Rteetz

I did not run this weekend but I listened to the 321 Go Podcast with WDW runDisney Race Director today which was timely. runDisney and the various teams take their jobs very seriously and have numerous plans for when they need to pivot due to weather and what not. runDisney would not have run the race if unsafe. Regardless of whether the course was shortened or not too this still could've happened.

My heart and condolences go out to his family during this time. I know everyone will be learning from this event.

surfsupdon

I did not run this weekend but I listened to the 321 Go Podcast with WDW runDisney Race Director today which was timely. runDisney and the various teams take their jobs very seriously and have numerous plans for when they need to pivot due to weather and what not. runDisney would not have run the race if unsafe. Regardless of whether the course was shortened or not too this still could've happened.

My heart and condolences go out to his family during this time. I know everyone will be learning from this event.
Was a good podcast episode!! I agrée with you on that. Taken very seriously.

Greenlawler

I was honestly surprised they did not at least shorten the race.

I did enjoy them, and DL showed drastic improvements from January.

One thing that has not improved are the race hosts. Carissa carried the whole show. They really need to bring Pelky and or Riley out West.

Two more things....

1. They were not prepared for how much people would need water and power aide at the half, the volunteers were overwhelmed
2. The line for the Challenge and Coast to Coast medals were egregious. To have folks run 13 miles in that weather, then have them stand in a long line in the sun? Lots of mumbling. I did not complain but felt like it should have been handled better.

While the character situation was better. They just simply did not have many. I mean for a 13 mile race they offered very few characters. I understand the logistics are different, and having a ton of characters at miles 1.5-6 jams up the course, but don't tell me Disney could not figure something out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom