Disneyland Half Marathon

c0reyt

2016? Registration date hasn't been announced yet.

Actually it has. It goes on sale Feb 2, 2016.

CRUB_AtWgAAwQE7.jpg:large

Mad Stitch

2016 info is now posted here are the prices:
Disneyland® Half Marathon $205

Disneyland® 10K $120

Dumbo Double Dare $350

Disneyland® 5K $80

runDisney Kids Races $20

It's interesting that they don't have tiered pricing by date anymore, just the single price.

dreamfinder

2016 info is now posted here are the prices:
Disneyland® Half Marathon $205

Disneyland® 10K $120

Dumbo Double Dare $350

Disneyland® 5K $80

runDisney Kids Races $20

It's interesting that they don't have tiered pricing by date anymore, just the single price.

Well, when you consider they took away the counters that show you the percentage, guess it;s not a huge surprise.

Texas84

I am really going to try to book this race.

Something I have never done before- California, Disneyland, Coast to Coast!!

I think it's more fun getting the C2C medal at Disneyland. Seems like the WDW crowd is more aware of it and the DLR crowd stops you and wants to know what it is.

I was wearing my C2C yesterday at DLR and was explaining the 'same calendar year' rule and got a bunch of double takes.
"Wait, when did you run in Florida?"
"Last week."
:D

Mad Stitch

I think it's more fun getting the C2C medal at Disneyland. Seems like the WDW crowd is more aware of it and the DLR crowd stops you and wants to know what it is.

I was wearing my C2C yesterday at DLR and was explaining the 'same calendar year' rule and got a bunch of double takes.
"Wait, when did you run in Florida?"
"Last week."
:D
It sure seems like the Disneyland crowd is oblivious that WDW exists or wants to believe that it don't exist.

surfsupdon

That happened to me a few years ago. Got in on regular registration.

Thanks for the optimism. I have never been to Cali, and for me I was so looking forward to officially say, "I'm going to Cali!" I will try again on Tuesday for DDD. I'm not certain I want to head out--and pay--to "just" run a Half. But I know that even a half will be a good competition, and it's CALI....I need to get out there.

Greenlawler

Thanks for the optimism. I have never been to Cali, and for me I was so looking forward to officially say, "I'm going to Cali!" I will try again on Tuesday for DDD. I'm not certain I want to head out--and pay--to "just" run a Half. But I know that even a half will be a good competition, and it's CALI....I need to get out there.

This is my favorite runDisney event, not because the course or anything. I just like being at DL for a change of pace. Being walking distance to everything is awesome. But I am hearing loads of complaints on the pricing this year.

surfsupdon

This is my favorite runDisney event, not because the course or anything. I just like being at DL for a change of pace. Being walking distance to everything is awesome. But I am hearing loads of complaints on the pricing this year.

Good to know...can't wait to compete, maybe I will win my age group out in Cali!

Greenlawler

Posted this on an inactive site thought some of you might enjoy....maybe.

Here's our race report from last year's half weekend.

Just got back yesterday from a great week at DL.

Hope all of you who took part in the events had as much fun as my wife and I did.

This was the 10th anniversary of the DL Half and it felt special, from the entertainment to the merch it seemed to me they upped their game this year.

This was our third DL half and third Dumbo Double Dare, and while there are things they could improve on, mainly involving race and expo crowd management, overall each year we attend there are improvements.

Registration
We arrived on Thursday afternoon around one, and although we expected long lines, we were pleasantly surprised to walk immediately into registration and the expo with no lines. The only line we encountered was the line to pick up tickets for the tenth anniversary party. That line took longer than the entire registration process. In years past the lines to get into the Expo had been a major headache.

Expo:
We encountered our first major line here waiting to get into the Disney Running merch tent. This year Disney chose to hold people in a separate room in order for the them to get into that one merch area. The rest of the Expo was free to walk in. In the past we have encountered major lines just to enter the expo like in 2014, and then last year at the Disney merch checkout. It was like this year Disney chose to bottleneck people at their merch tent as opposed to checkout, or expo. Almost as if the crowds had to have somewhere to gather, and in retrospect this was a wise decision, mainly because if you did not need merch why be held captive?

DL is dealing with a significant amount of less space, however I don't feel like the expo is that much smaller. While we were standing in that massive empty room waiting to be allowed into the Disney merch I thought "why can't Disney staff this space and simply make their merch tent this room?" Anyways....Expo was more of the same old same old not really anything new.

The merch seemed to hold up longer this year. Although we arrived at the Disney merch around 2:00 on Thursday they still had plenty of just about everything. We were staying at the DL Hotel so we visited the expo just about every day.

Noticed generic Disney items filling the shelves around Friday morning, as that is what they do when they run out of stuff, so it does not looked picked through.

Of course all this being said there were no lines of this nature on Friday or Saturday.

10th Anniversary Party:
Nothing to write home about, seemed like a money grab. There were some good characters out including some really rare ones, but aside from a dj and the rarer characters not much to do or see outside the norm. That day at the parks was not crowded so it really did not feel like anything changed when the "party" began. We did get a backpack though.

Wow! Last year the DL 10k was easily my least favorite Disney race I ran. That's including the Avengers half. They just did not put that much into it. They had little entertainment, a total of three characters and they were cutting off lines extremely early. This year the DL 10k may go down as one of my favorite races ever. Lots of fun and effort here. The villains theme was great and the pre-race show was awesome. They probably could have done better with corals. They had thousands of runners and only four corals. They had too many runners for the corals, and people were forced to line up for blocks outside of each coral. The two miles of the race were just as bad as some of the packed DW race crowds. But lots of entertainment and probably a dozen characters or so made up for it. The highlights for the character fans would have been Shan-Yu, Hades, Prince John. However, once again DL was cutting off character lines I was running with my DW back in Coral C and by the time we passed by Small World for the second time they were cutting off runners. That means loads of people in Coral D were already being told no before the race was even half way done. Seems to me that if they wanted to risk getting swept it would be their choice.

Pasta In The Park:
Typical buffet with blah pasta and pretty good chicken. Loved the desserts. The character selection was above average. Villains and not the VIP's. So they had Maleficent, Snow Queen, Facilier, Tremaine and Stepsisters, Hook, Jafar, and Queen of Hearts. At DL that maybe a rare lineup but at DW that's nothing tremendous. They also had free face painting and some cornhole. Not exactly what I would have had in mind for $90 if I had not known any better.

The DL Half:
Honestly I was going for a PR so this race blew by, I did think they once again did a great job with the entertainment. But I don't really understand the coursing. Is knocking out all four miles of park time in the first four miles really their only option? It might be, as they get people out of the parks early, but it just seems so anticlimactic knowing that it's all regular Anaheim till the finish. Also I am spoiled by DW courses. Still seemed like a better race overall this year. I was up in Coral A and due to that I did not experience any race congestion. Lots of characters out in those first 4 miles.

One thing that I will say is I am always a little disappointed by the post race stuff at DL. It just not feel like the party it does at DW. Usually just a band and that's really it, no characters at all.

Overall:
I would say every year DL gets a little better at honing their product.

Texas84

They really need to fix the DLR merchandise issues. Move it somewhere else. Maybe set up a 'Darth Mall' in the parking lot like DHS used to have at Star Wars Weekends.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom