Disneyland fireworks cancelled indefinitely

TP2000

Very interesting.

Al Lutz has this info up on the front page of his Miceage site early on Christmas morning here on the West Coast...

EDITOR’S NOTE 12/25: Two separate accidents involving the loading of pyro shells on the 22nd and 23rd have put the fireworks show at Disneyland on hold for the last three days. There is a show already loaded in the launch tubes, but they've decided to wait until the higher attendance Christmas day to use it. Then it goes dark again as a new performance can't be loaded until the OSHA officials show up to investigate on Tuesday. More info should be available on that day. - Al Lutz

I wonder what happened? From my place in Villa Park, I have a perfect view of the Disneyland fireworks, so we'll have to see if they happen on Christmas Day like Mr. Lutz says they are planning to. :confused:

mharrington

Original Poster
I'm just curious, but hasn't the fireworks been "cancelled indefinitely" before (off-season weekdays notwithstanding, of course)? Is this not the first time in 50+ years, the fireworks have been cancelled? Maybe if someone explained...

Then again, Al did explain that OSHA should show up on Tuesday to investigate, so hopefully, things will get back on track sooner than later?

TP2000

I had some family over for Christmas supper tonight, and promptly at 8:45PM we heard the Disneyland fireworks begin. We watched most of the show from my deck, and all the usual pyro effects from different locations around the park were used. The full Believe... In Holiday Magic was performed tonight.

Now if the fireworks are cancelled on Monday night, it'll look like the info Al gave is the correct info.

No injuries have been reported in the local newspapers, so if something did happen or someone was injured, it was thankfully a minor accident. Still, an interesting story. :lookaroun

nemofinder22

http://ocresort.ocregister.com/2011/12/27/disneyland-fireworks-temporarily-stopped/106276/

The display, “Believe in Holiday Magic,” was first canceled on Dec. 22 because of weather conditions and a technical issue. The same night, a Disney employee was transported to a local hospital and released for a noise-related injury from the operation of the fireworks.
“We are working diligently to resolve the situation and will host our fireworks as soon as possible,” said Disney spokeswoman Betsy Sanchez. “The safety of our cast and guests always takes priority in our decisions.”

More at the link.

Hopefully the Cast Member has a speedy and complete recovery.

Tigggrl

DisneylandDisneyland News

UPDATE: "Believe...in Holiday Magic" Fireworks return to Disneyland park tonight at 8:45.

TP2000

I'm watching the Believe fireworks from the bay window in my home office right now... so far, so good. They just did the "Nutcracker Suite" segment, and even with the fog settling in it is visible and audible here in Villa Park.

Disneyland's fireworks are back, just in time for New Years Eve.

TP2000

The fireworks have now finished, and were presented in their entirety.

The Orange County Register newspaper has been following the story since it became a local media item a couple days ago. Here's a few noteworthy quotes from the Register from a story they just posted tonight, and some info they dug up yesterday on this fireworks issue....

Disneyland brought back its holiday fireworks Friday night after canceling the show eight times in nine days.

Disneyland first halted its “Believe in Holiday Magic” fireworks show on Dec. 22 after an employee was injured in a behind-the-scenes accident. Since then, the show has only been held Sunday, Christmas Day.

The state Division of Occupational Safety and Health determined this week that the employee’s injury was minor and decided against launching an investigation, said Dean Fryer, a division spokesman.

Disney, fire officials and other experts had been trying to fix the problem and making a determination on a day-to-day basis whether the show would go on that night

And this interesting info from yesterday, which finally detailed exactly what happened and what led to the suspension of the show for the past week.

A Disneyland employee quickly moved away from fireworks when he heard a suspicious noise before it exploded, avoiding any burns in a rare incident last week, according to an Anaheim Fire Department report.

Disneyland tonight is canceling the nightly fireworks display for the seventh time in the past eight nights. Disney began halting the shows after an employee was taken to the hospital for a possible ear injury on Dec. 22. Disney, fire and other experts are trying to fix the problem and are making a determination on a day-to-day basis whether the show will go on.

“Since the safety of our cast and guests is always our top priority, we will continue to make these decisions on a daily basis,” said Suzi Brown, a Disneyland Resort spokeswoman, in a statement.

A state official said he knows of no similar incidents with Disneyland fireworks in recent years.

“The safety record of Disneyland is almost flawless,” said Tony Guevara, state deputy fire marshal. “I’ve never had any reports of anything major occurring.”

According to the fire report, the employee was loading fireworks into tubes shortly after 4 p.m. to prepare for that night’s show. He heard a sound and quickly moved away. The shell then detonated in the tube with a “tremendous blast,” destroying the tube and shooting debris, according to the report.

The main part of the tube was on fire when it landed and Disney personnel extinguished it.

Paramedics later responded to treat the employee, who was complaining of hearing problems. He was taken to the hospital.

Both the state Division of Occupational Safety and Health and the state Fire Marshal’s office were notified of the incident. State safety workers plan to conduct an inspection.

http://ocresort.ocregister.com/2011/12/29/disney-worker-avoided-burns-in-fireworks-incident/106401/

What didn't help this issue was that the accident occurred just before the long Christmas holiday weekend, and the Cal-OSHA folks wouldn't sign off on the resumption of pyrotechnics displays at Disneyland until a few business days after they returned from their holiday weekend, which was the 30th. Interestingly, they've been doing the pyro shows from the roof of the Small World building for that Memories show thing and in thrice-nightly Fantasmic! shows all during this time, which means the issue was with the equipment used for the Believe fireworks show itself, and not with the overall use of fireworks on Disneyland property.

Your tax dollars at work, compliments of the nice folks up in Sacramento. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom