Disneyland faces 32 million attendance drop over 2 years, analysts warn - OCR/SCNG

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

>>Disneyland faces a drop in attendance of 32 million visitors over two years amid the COVID-19 pandemic, but that pales in comparison to the nearly 100 million guests Disney’s U.S. parks could lose during that time, according to a new analyst’s report.

A new report by Wall Street analysts Cowen and Company paints a grim picture of attendance losses at Disney’s Parks, Experiences and Products division.<<

TP2000

>>Disneyland faces a drop in attendance of 32 million visitors over two years amid the COVID-19 pandemic, but that pales in comparison to the nearly 100 million guests Disney’s U.S. parks could lose during that time, according to a new analyst’s report.

A new report by Wall Street analysts Cowen and Company paints a grim picture of attendance losses at Disney’s Parks, Experiences and Products division.<<

Well, that's certainly going to leave a mark.

Or, perhaps kill the entire company.

Even if the company survives this, one can only imagine the massive white collar layoffs, blue collar hiring freezes, and overall cutbacks in investment and future growth strategies that are already being drawn up in Burbank and TDA this month.

Lilofan

Even if the company survives this, one can only imagine the massive white collar layoffs, blue collar hiring freezes, and overall cutbacks in investment and future growth strategies that are already being drawn up in Burbank and TDA this month.
Iger and Chapek will need to come up with a plan during the quarterly earnings call with Wall Street in Aug 4.

Phroobar

Don't underestimate the rapid Disney fan with an Annual Pass.
Personally I can't wait for lower attendance numbers like we had back in the 80's and 90's. This went to pot after 50th Anniversary. Disneyland was nice for the two years after 9/11.

TP2000

Iger and Chapek will need to come up with a plan during the quarterly earnings call with Wall Street in Aug 4.

Good point. I was just wondering when that next call would be. I'll mark my calendar.

Especially if Disneyland still doesn't have an announced reopening date by then (and it probably won't), and judging by the teeny-tiny amounts of people they are letting in to the WDW parks this summer, that call is going to be a rough one.

TP2000

All the WDW parks are now open this week. They are letting in teeny-tiny amounts of people into each park. I get it why they have to reopen like this, but this is obviously not a business model that is sustainable for more than a few weeks. The WDW parks look more desolate this week, the middle of summer, than DCA did in 2001.

EdinAFqWAAItb7Z

In some good news for the sharp pencil boys, they clearly weren't spending their four months of closure on refurbishments and expensive maintenance. Here's the Mexico pavilion boat ride yesterday.

Phroobar

All the WDW parks are now open this week. They are letting in teeny-tiny amounts of people into each park. I get it why they have to reopen like this, but this is obviously not a business model that is sustainable for more than a few weeks. The WDW parks look more desolate this week, the middle of summer, than DCA did in 2001.

EdinAFqWAAItb7Z

In some good news for the sharp pencil boys, they clearly weren't spending their four months of closure on refurbishments and expensive maintenance. Here's the Mexico pavilion boat ride yesterday.

Who do they think they are? Universal?

rk03221

I wonder how many projects they are going to cancel for the 50th? Even when a vaccine happens and we’re back to “normal” again, I think it’ll take a bit for people to go out and travel again. At least the internationals coming to the US and such. This is not looking good for the parks though and think this could lead to apple or amazon buying Disney if stocks suffer

cmwade77

So about a 50% decrease in attendance or in other words dropping to what max capacity should be in the parks anyway. I actually hope this is true, but I highly doubt it will be, especially in California where the majority are locals.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Guys don't worry about this.. it's nothing that adding a little more Star Wars and Pixar and Marvel won't fix. They'll retheme Pirates and Haunted to make Disney more timeless and relevant and the crowds will come pouring right back in.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No

EdinAFqWAAItb7Z

In the videos I saw, BTMRR trains looked incredibly dull & faded. Dinosaur's animatronics were hardly, if at all, working. Tower still has several broken effects and the Peoplemover is probably out of commission for the next few months, if not years, to come. But on the bright side.. at least they're fixing that evil Splash Mountain ride.

socalifornian

32 million is more than the two parks get a year. That would be insane

Unofficial 2019 -
Disneyland: 18,666,000​
DCA: 9,861,000​
Total: 28,527,000​

Cowen/Daily News projection
2021 -
Disneyland: 6,400,000​
DCA: 3,400,000​
Total: 9,800,000​

>>The Cowen analysts don’t expect Disney’s theme park division to recover from the pandemic and return to profitability until 2025.

Other Wall Street analysts paint a rosier picture of Disney’s theme park rebound than Cowen and Company. Goldman Sachs analysts expect Disney theme park attendance and revenues to recover by 2022 or 2023.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom