News Disneyland Character Performers Look to Unionize With Actors’ Equity

TrainsOfDisney

Even one shift per week is a foot in the door that would hopefully build to more hours. But, yes, it's sad that people may wind up with that little even if they're told it may be/will likely be more.
Well that’s 2 different things - if they take 1 shift a week as a “foot in the door” that’s on them, they are making that decision.

wtyy21

Slightly unrelated to this topic, but Disneyland workers voted for strike authorization.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/thousands-disneyland-workers-vote-authorize-strike-rcna162175
Screenshot 2024-07-20 14.47.13.png

Last edited:

Brian

Union uses dues to support politician who spends recklessly > Politician creates more inflation > Unionized employees can't afford basic necessities because their dollar is worth less > Union secures raise, gets to continue receiving dues > repeat

The union makes themselves indispensable to the employees. The politician gets to stay in power. Know who gets screwed in the end? The employees both claim to champion.

Indy_UK

Sorry I just want to drop in and ask whether we are likely to see strikes anytime soon?

I’m at Disneyland from the 9th August and I would be devastated if they then decided to strike. Hopefully it won’t even get to that

Vegas Disney Fan

Union uses dues to support politician who spends recklessly > Politician creates more inflation > Unionized employees can't afford basic necessities because their dollar is worth less > Union secures raise, gets to continue receiving dues > repeat

The union makes themselves indispensable to the employees. The politician gets to stay in power. Know who gets screwed in the end? The employees both claim to champion.
I’m going to avoid the political aspect but I ultimately agree, the CMs are doomed either way, it wasn’t long ago $15 was the answer, then they got it and inflation outpaced it, then it was $20, they got it and inflation outpaced it, no matter what low skill jobs pay they’ll always be low paying jobs because inflation increases as wages increase.

When we were kids we made $4 an hour but rent was $600 a month, now pay is $20 an hour and rent is $3k a month, it’s all interconnected

MarvelCharacterNerd

Sorry I just want to drop in and ask whether we are likely to see strikes anytime soon?

I’m at Disneyland from the 9th August and I would be devastated if they then decided to strike. Hopefully it won’t even get to that
If Disney doesn't settle beforehand, then Expo week - and the Expo itself - would be a prime target for when and where cast would strike - if they don't hit up San Diego Comic-Con for visibility first, where Disney also has a large presence through Marvel, Star Wars, etc.

Disney knows this and I can't imagine they'd allow this massive a disruption with so much media coverage resulting. I'd expect some agreement beforehand. But no guarantees. There are a lot of unhappy cast given a 99% strike vote approval.

Though as noted here, the strike - like the writers and actors strikes recently - may not accomplish in the long run what they hope it would.

TrainsOfDisney

I’m not against unions - they have pros and cons but ultimately it’s great for workers to have a voice when dealing with large corporations.

The larger strike with the candy makers, the ride operators etc. seems poorly timed since they just got a raise in base pay - I’m all for that raise they just got but to now demand more pay / benefits seems excessive.

MarvelCharacterNerd

There are more ways to offset this than an increase in ticket prices. Even a slight increase in food or merch costs, and we're not talking about a huge increase something less than $1, can bring in Millions to offset any increase in labor by entertainment moving to Equity.
On that subject, Disneyland Resort raised food prices last week across the board anywhere from .30 to $1 per item.

They also cut back menu offerings.

AJFireman

Both sides met yesterday and again today as planned so I feel we might hear an update by the end of the week if not sooner. You can follow "Disney Workers Rising" both on twitter and facebook for updates or https://ufcw324.org/2024-disney-contract-updates/

Vegas Disney Fan

My guess is the vote was primarily for show and more bargaining power, IMHO a strike is very unlikely because the CMs can’t afford it.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see picket lines from off duty workers but most CMs can’t afford to miss shifts, there may be some disruption outside the parks but I’ll be shocked if they actually strike and miss shifts in the parks.

Phroobar

My guess is the vote was primarily for show and more bargaining power, IMHO a strike is very unlikely because the CMs can’t afford it.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see picket lines from off duty workers but most CMs can’t afford to miss shifts, there may be some disruption outside the parks but I’ll be shocked if they actually strike and miss shifts in the parks.
What's the point of a strike if they still continue to work?
Funny how the labor union doesn't compensate for lost wages because of a strike but union dues are still enforced.

AJFireman

Here is a FAQ provided by the Union to their members. They do you have a strike fund that pays workers but not sure how that works or how they get paid. You are right though I bet a high percent of workers cannot afford to strike and are being led by the Union that this is the only way and not telling them all the aspects of a strike.

If they felt bullied by Disney before wait until the Union Bullies them if they choose to cross the picket line.

Phroobar

Would I lose my benefits/insurance if we go on strike? What about other benefits that Disney provides? If you are full time you will continue to receive your health benefits. Other benefits such as child care may not be provided for the time you are on strike. If you do not have alternate child care we encourage you to bring your children to the picket line.

iu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom