Disneyland changes Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge menu names so that visitors will know what they’re eating - OCR/SCNG

Darkbeer1

Original Poster

>>Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo chef Strono “Cookie” Tuggs has gotten a very unusual shipment of fried chicken, pork ribs and cinnamon rolls at his Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge restaurant in Disneyland from a galaxy far, far away — planet Earth.

Disneyland has changed the other-worldly Star Wars names of some menu items at the restaurants and food stands in the new 14-acre themed land to better incorporate the real-world earthly ingredients in the meals.

The Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge menu item names were changed to make them more clear for travelers visiting Batuu, Disneyland officials said.<<

>>In mid-October, Disney World’s version of Docking Bay 7 rolled out entirely new menus with generic items like Fried Chicken, Beef Pot Roast, Shrimp & Noodle Salad, Roasted Chicken Salad and Smoked Pork Ribs, according to https://.com/2019/10/another-wave-o...s-edge-eateries-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/. Days later, those menus suddenly disappeared and the original Star Wars-inspired names reappeared. The latest changes appear to be a meeting of the minds between Disney’s creative teams who dreamed up the fanciful menu items and the park’s operational teams that have to explain what Tip-Yip is to befuddled tourists from around the globe.

Walt Disney Imagineering, Lucasfilm and the Disney theme park culinary teams went to great lengths during previews for Galaxy’s Edge to create the illusion that the meats and vegetables on the menus were imported from Star Wars planets. There would be smokey barbecue ribs from a Kaadu beast found on Naboo, an oven-roasted Burra Fish native to the planet of Dathomir and a deep fried Tip-Yip bird from Endor. All of the foods would be transported to Batuu via chef Cookie’s food truck-like spaceship docked on the roof of Docking Bay 7, according to the backstory for the restaurant.<<

>>Earth shouldn’t be a completely foreign place to travelers visiting the Star Wars universe at the Disney parks. The Star Tours motion simulator rides have been making trips for decades from a distant galaxy to Earth — aka the Tomorrowlands at Disney theme parks around the world.<<

TP2000

If they can now call fried chicken Fried Chicken, then there's no reason why they can't get Darth Vader and Princess Leia and Han Solo and R2D2 in the land to pose for pictures.

They could also bring back the Jedi Training Academy and have music and performers like all the other lands in the park.

Their laughable attempt at a Colonial Williamsburg On A Budget theme park land hasn't worked. Turn it into a land in Disneyland like all the rest and just get on with life.

Janir

This only related to Disneyland? They changed them in WDW then changed them BACK with in a week, about 1-2 weeks ago now? I don't have the URL's handy but there was a small window of time they were in English and the star wars names were listed secondary then they changed it back pretty quickly.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Another reason why we can't have nice things. Is it so hard for people to read the "earth equivalent" descriptions under the titles so that they don't have to put the "earth equivalent" names in the titles?

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
From the article...

>>In mid-October, Disney World’s version of Docking Bay 7 rolled out entirely new menus with generic items like Fried Chicken, Beef Pot Roast, Shrimp & Noodle Salad, Roasted Chicken Salad and Smoked Pork Ribs, according to https://.com/2019/10/another-wave-o...s-edge-eateries-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/. Days later, those menus suddenly disappeared and the original Star Wars-inspired names reappeared. The latest changes appear to be a meeting of the minds between Disney’s creative teams who dreamed up the fanciful menu items and the park’s operational teams that have to explain what Tip-Yip is to befuddled tourists from around the globe.<<

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Another reason why we can't have nice things. Is it so hard for people to read the "earth equivalent" descriptions under the titles so that they don't have to put the "earth equivalent" names in the titles?

I will argue with nice things, my Docking Bay 7 item was OK last Friday.

If I am a tourist, first off, I am slowing down the line, as I am asking the server a bunch of questions. And if I don't understand the menu, I am headed to the Hungry Bear, Golden Horseshoe, or Fantasyland.....

DrAlice

Colonial Williamsburg On A Budget theme park land
I laughed way too hard at this. It also conjured some old high school Close Up trip memories of trying to choke down a lunch of peanut soup with a teacher saying "It's what they used to eat. Enjoy it!" Blgh. But I digress...

Anyway, I am calling it this from now on. Or maybe CWOAB for short. :D

D.Silentu

They really had a blank slate creating the food here, I can't remember a single item eaten in Star Wars. They could have had some fun with it, but no matter what language they're labeled in the food doesn't look appealing. They might as well change the menu itself at this point while Galaxy's Edge seems to remain an exercise in backpedaling.

EDIT: I've remembered that Luke eats a sort of snack bar in The Empire Strikes Back.

Phroobar

They really had a blank slate creating the food here, I can't remember a single item eaten in Star Wars. They could have had some fun with it, but no matter what language they're labeled in the food doesn't look appealing. They might as well change the menu itself at this point while Galaxy's Edge seems to remain an exercise in backpedaling.

EDIT: I've remembered that Luke eats a sort of snack bar in The Empire Strikes Back.
He did. It was a whatchamcallit. It totally messed with Yoda's peanut allergy.

whatchmacallit-candy-bars-128558.jpg

Rich T

Galaxy’s Edge isn’t a nice thing. It’s a cynical attempt to copy the success of Wizarding World made by a media company that has no clue why what works for Potter won’t work for SW. The menu issue is just one example of the problem.

mickEblu

And still no themed magical glasses that can help me block out strollers, Mickey Ears, Disneyland shirts and Ky’le from Tustin from my sight. Immersive my @$$

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom