Disneyland celebrates the country's 250th birthday in 2026

Phroobar

Original Poster
Are there any plans for Disneyland celebrating the country's 250th birthday. For it's 200th they had a special parade and America Sings. Think we will get a special popcorn bucket?

iu

iu

iu

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Are there any plans for Disneyland celebrating the country's 250th birthday. For it's 200th they had a special parade and America Sings. Think we will get a special popcorn bucket?

iu

iu

iu
Other than a parade, cupcake, and some merch, I wouldn't expect anything else. And certainly wouldn't expect any attraction.

mickEblu

They're gonna reattach the Main Street Electrical Parade flag float they broke up and run it as a cavalcade! :D

Or they'll have an extra loudspeaker announcement at Flag Retreat. :p

Or a red, white & blue churro.

Definitely one of those. ;)

And maybe bring "Ladies and Gentlemen..." back to the intro? I still don't think Disney caught enough heat for that. It didn't really catch a lot of main stream attention as it's just a few words in a parade intro but the change speaks volumes. Of all the changes that one has to be the most bothersome and asinine. Aside from it being absolutely unnecessary the intro was iconic and had a certain ring to it that was lost with the new intro. The parade lost a lot of its value for me with that change. If all it had going for it was nostalgia and you take that away, what's left?

MarvelCharacterNerd

And maybe bring "Ladies and Gentlemen..." back to the intro? I still don't think Disney caught enough heat for that. It didn't really catch a lot of main stream attention as it's just a few words in a parade intro but the change speaks volumes. Of all the changes that one has to be the most bothersome and asinine. Aside from it being absolutely unnecessary the intro was iconic and had a certain ring to it that was lost with the new intro. The parade lost a lot of its value for me with that change. If all it had going for it was nostalgia and you take that away, what's left?
Not gonna happen. We're going to keep hearing "welcome, friends!" from all the cast members who don't call us "recruits" or "dreamers" until they come up with the next inclusive term to avoid offending people with no friends and no dreams. ;)

I still find "friends" presumptive - but still worse is the insistence at the gates of cast calling you by name as they let you in to see if you react so they know it's really your pass. :rolleyes:

PiratesMansion

I dunno, is ANYONE, or any company, planning on doing anything big to celebrate America's 250th birthday?

This just seems like pre-emptively inventing new things to be mad at.

TP2000

I dunno, is ANYONE, or any company, planning on doing anything big to celebrate America's 250th birthday?

This just seems like pre-emptively inventing new things to be mad at.

I imagine it's going to be a big deal two years from now. Not as big as the Bicentennial, obviously, but it will be a thing.

I just had this conversation myself a few days ago, when someone at a barbecue did the math and came to the same conclusion that we're almost to 250. I hadn't thought of it, but it's approaching! o_O

America Sings opened in the summer of 1974 and was marketed as part of the Bicentennial prep. I'd bet we start hearing about plans for 250th celebrations/events sometime next year, and not just from Disneyland or Disney World.

amsingsopen2.jpg

PiratesMansion

I imagine it's going to be a big deal two years from now. Not as big as the Bicentennial, obviously, but it will be a thing.

I just had this conversation myself a few days ago, when someone at a barbecue did the math and came to the same conclusion that we're almost to 250. I hadn't thought of it, but it's approaching! o_O

America Sings opened in the summer of 1974 and was marketed as part of the Bicentennial prep. I'd bet we start hearing about plans for 250th celebrations/events sometime next year, and not just from Disneyland or Disney World.

amsingsopen2.jpg
But here's my question...were there big celebrations for the 150th? If so, what sorts of things were done across the country?

I do feel like, in many instances, the bigger these numbers go, the less meaningful they become, outside of true banner milestones (as the tricentennial will undoubtedly be).

Are there scores of people and companies that will make 250 a big milestone? For me, it's too early to say. Perhaps it will be a bang, but I could just as well see it become a shrug (other than perhaps slightly elevated Independence Day celebrations in 2026). And not just a shrug from Disney specifically, but from the people and companies of this country at large.

TP2000

But here's my question...were there big celebrations for the 150th? If so, what sorts of things were done across the country?

In 1926? I may be old, but I'm not that old. 🧐

But let me Google, because it's a good question....

Apparently there was a Sesquicentennial World's Fair in Philadelphia (naturally). World's Fairs are something I wish this country would start hosting again, as they are fun and upbeat and very of their time. I was invited to go to the 2020 World's Fair in Dubai from some friends, but declined because I didn't want to give that jerky nation my money, and then it all got cancelled because of Covid and delayed unilt '21 in a scaled down format and my friends ended up not going, so I felt good about that. I'm going to the '25 World's Fair in Osaka next year, and I can't wait! But it's too late in the game to get a World's Fair going in the USA for '26.

Also in 1926, the US Mint issued some commerative coins, President Coolidge made lots of important speeches about the 150th, and there were some jazz records and a dance craze and some commercial products all produced to celebrate the Sesquicentennial. I imagine a lot of towns and cities had "150" emblazoned on their decorations that July 4th.

I'd imagine there will be a hyped up sense of it in '26, especially in the summer. Again, not anything as big as the Bicentennial (which was mostly fabulous, and I still remember some of the parties I went to!), but bigger than your average July 4th. I wasn't quite the type to go the full Liberace In Sequined Hotpants thing, but my heart was in the right place during the Bicentennial!

liberace1.+flopped+correctlyjpg.jpg

I'm going to start thinking about my home decor and host outfit ideas for that summer right now, while it's top of mind! Don't worry, I won't do hotpants, but I'm gonna do something! 🥳🇺🇸

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
World's Fairs are something I wish this country would start hosting again, as they are fun and upbeat and very of their time.
Similar to the Olympics host city which is chosen by a committee, the World's Fair (aka World's Expo) host country is chosen by a vote of the member nations (179 in total) of the Bureau International des Expositions. The US just like most countries bids every time to be a host country, but isn't chosen.

So its not like the US isn't trying to host again. The US tried to get the one in 2027 but lost, they will try again for 2032/2033 or 2035.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom